Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: coppersmith deck...how could i have played it better?  (Read 1562 times)

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
coppersmith deck...how could i have played it better?
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:36:12 am »

ive never played a deck completely around coppersmith before, ive only ever added it to an engine that didnt have trashing just to get some extra money after i had drawn most of my deck. idk if it was the best strategy on this board, but i love trying out new strategies at the cost of losing because i feel like that's the main way i get better. i managed to squeak out a win, but i was more concerned with what i would learn in this game than actually winning.

anyways, i had farming villages+hamlets for actions and buys. envoy for drawing. i figured envoy would be perfect for this, since every card (other than victory cards) was needed, so the discard wouldnt hurt much. then i picked up some coppersmiths and a few coppers as my only source of money.

how could i have played this better? two villages to open was probably weak, im guessing i shouldve went envoy/hamlet to open. also i think some of my late game hamlets shouldve been estates, even though there were 4 provinces left. anyways, ill shut up now lol. id love some constructive criticism :)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/05/game-20130205-222331-03b5e75a.html
Go, and do likewise.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: coppersmith deck...how could i have played it better?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:37:38 am »
+1

There are some intrinsic weaknesses to this deck. If you've got 7 copper in hand it's no use if an opponent discards your coppersmith from the envoy draw. If your envoys hide at the end of the deck or get other poor draws then the deck also fails badly. As you add more copper to the deck the draws are likely to get worse.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:20 am »

there were no discard attacks on the board so i didnt have to worry about that. i definitely did feel like i was waiting forever at the end of the game to hit my envoys. i wanted an 8th copy so i could double province with one coppersmith, but all the other copper buys were probably a poor decision.
Go, and do likewise.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:56:56 pm »
+1

DG is suggesting that your opponent can deny you your Coppersmiths by choosing them when you play Envoy, rather than expressing concern about handsize attacks.

Just looking at the result, 4 Provinces and a Duchy in 14 turns seems perfectly respectable, but single Envoy BM is likely to be similarly fast.

If you're going to play it the way you did, you definitely want Envoy/Hamlet to start, as double Village does nothing for you.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:12:12 pm »
+1

You really didn't need to buy any extra coppers.

And yes, opening coppersmith hamlet or envoy hamlet would have been much better.  Probably envoy. build an engine with 3-4 envoys and lots of hamlets and festivals to support, then sprinkle in a coppersmith if you like. It is nice if you envoy and he has to choose between discarding a CS that has a potential 7$ value, or an engine component.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:23:42 am »
+1

thanks everyone!
Go, and do likewise.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:16:27 pm »

I would actually suggest Caravan to increase engine consistency. I don't like getting Envoy early in engine games because it tends to be very bad when you have a few engine components but not enough density to get extra actions before playing Envoys.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.