Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ratings on Goko  (Read 5343 times)

casuist

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
ratings on Goko
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:00 pm »

Hi. I'm a relative newcomer to Dominion and a recent newcomer to the Goko Dominion online site. I am wondering... what does it take to get a rating? I have now played dozens of games, both with humans and with the bots, and my casual rating remains zero. (I have won more than I have lost, so I don't think 0 is correct.  :)) Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: ratings on Goko
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:10 pm »

If you are making the game in the multiplayer lobby you have to make sure it's set to casual (or professional) leaderboard when you make the game as opposed to unranked. I forget what the respective icons are but be on the lookout for those if you're joining peoples games.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

casuist

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:06 pm »

Yeah, I've definitely been playing/creating "Casual" games. At first I thought there must be some number of games you had to play before getting a rating, but I feel like I must have passed that.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:14:05 am »

The rating system is a little bit broken in that if you only play really low-ranked players (like serf bot, who has a rating of 0) it'll never go above 0. So if you're mostly playing serf bot, that would explain the lack of rating.

I think they mean to fix that eventually, but they haven't yet.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:24:46 am »

If you are making the game in the multiplayer lobby you have to make sure it's set to casual (or professional) leaderboard when you make the game as opposed to unranked. I forget what the respective icons are but be on the lookout for those if you're joining peoples games.
A star (casual) or a cup/trophy (pro).

casuist

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:10:39 am »

Hmm. I'm thinking it must be a bug then, because I play all of the bots, and players with higher ranks. And always casual (green star) games.

I play on a Mac, mostly. I use both Safari and Firefox -- Safari for adventure-mode, because that doesn't work at all on Firefox. But I switch to Firefox for multiplayer, because Safari freezes after almost every game and forces me to log in again, which gets annoying. (It doesn't freeze during games, just afterwards.)

At first I just figured it was in beta and therefore had lots of bugs -- but the more I have read here, it seems like others are not having these problems and that the software ought to be farther along than this.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not a beta tester, but if anyone is, and thinks this is worth reporting, I'm happy to provide more detail.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:53 am »

Your Goko username is dogface? I'll put a report in for you, so they can find you and see what's happening.

Edit: Actually, before I do, it could just be an uncertainty thing. Like if you've mostly beaten opponents weaker than you but few higher, your rating would stay low as the uncertainty would be high. Once the system is more certain of your rating, it should increase. I would play a little more, and if it still stays at 0, then there might be a bug.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:17:36 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:20 am »

there was a thread a while back about a player stuck at level 0 on isotropic, but i'm not sure goko's system scales in a way that would even produce negatives like isotropic.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:23 am »
+4

on goko it is possible to have a negative rating and it will be shown as a rating zero. If you lose a number of games in a row, your rating might become so low, that you are paired against serf bot. serf bots rating is so far below zero, that you will lose rating points even if you win.

So you might have put yourself in a hole there. the only way to get out is to play MULTIPLAYER games. You have to avoid the single player mode, there you will be paired against serf bot given your rating.

Choose any bot except serf bot and win a couple of games in a row, and your rating should shoot up in no time.

here it is in more detail:
https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/my_casual_rating_in_dominion_is_zero_and_hasnt_ever_changed_why

https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/rating_wont_change_despite_how_many_games_i_play_and_win

casuist

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:13 pm »

Thanks for the help, and the links. I did play in Single Player mode a lot before switching to Multiplayer, so maybe I'm still just climbing up out of the serf bot pit.

A quick unrelated question, which doesn't quite seem worthy of starting a new thread... if I clear the Goko cookies/cache, do you know if that will that wipe out or otherwise affect my progress or status in Adventure mode?

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:12 pm »

on goko it is possible to have a negative rating and it will be shown as a rating zero. If you lose a number of games in a row, your rating might become so low, that you are paired against serf bot. serf bots rating is so far below zero, that you will lose rating points even if you win.

So you might have put yourself in a hole there. the only way to get out is to play MULTIPLAYER games. You have to avoid the single player mode, there you will be paired against serf bot given your rating.

Choose any bot except serf bot and win a couple of games in a row, and your rating should shoot up in no time.

here it is in more detail:
https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/my_casual_rating_in_dominion_is_zero_and_hasnt_ever_changed_why

https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/rating_wont_change_despite_how_many_games_i_play_and_win

I wonder how long it would have taken Goko to figure that problem on their own. They obviously haven't fixed it yet. How do they expect new players to figure this out?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 01:25:36 pm »

Thanks for the help, and the links. I did play in Single Player mode a lot before switching to Multiplayer, so maybe I'm still just climbing up out of the serf bot pit.

A quick unrelated question, which doesn't quite seem worthy of starting a new thread... if I clear the Goko cookies/cache, do you know if that will that wipe out or otherwise affect my progress or status in Adventure mode?

No. Your progress will not be affected.

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:12:40 pm »

Currently in the lobby, the casual rating has been shown by default under players name. Is there any way to change it to show the pro rating?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 03:45:37 am »
+1

Currently in the lobby, the casual rating has been shown by default under players name. Is there any way to change it to show the pro rating?

I wish, but no.

Fewsion

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 06:56:51 pm »
+1

Goko Usersame: Fewsion

A friend and I have been playing for quite some time...still stuck on rating: 0 and play only each other on Casual or other players on Casual.

I'm 71-86-2 (maybe not the greatest) and only really played about 20 bot games and I still have a 0 rating...its becoming a bit frustrating as some other "humans" wont allow to join due to my poor rating...

I'm seriously considering creating a new user and starting over. 

Other thoughts??

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:39 pm »

Goko Usersame: Fewsion

A friend and I have been playing for quite some time...still stuck on rating: 0 and play only each other on Casual or other players on Casual.

I'm 71-86-2 (maybe not the greatest) and only really played about 20 bot games and I still have a 0 rating...its becoming a bit frustrating as some other "humans" wont allow to join due to my poor rating...

I'm seriously considering creating a new user and starting over. 

Other thoughts??

Don't play against Serf bot. Play against the other bots to get your rating up. Since you and your friend are both at a rating of 0, any wins against each other will do little to improve your rating. Last I checked, most of the bots have a pro rating around 4000~. So, if you win against those bots a few times, your rating should gradually start to climb.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.