Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alchemist/Chapel is a tie pre-ordained?  (Read 1828 times)

KenN

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Alchemist/Chapel is a tie pre-ordained?
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:54:56 pm »

Here's the game thread:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20130204-145950-493cd6bf.html
I believe that we both played this board about as well as could be played.  The game ended very quickly with a tie.  I'm not sure I could have improved this outcome.  Do you?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemist/Chapel is a tie pre-ordained?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:29 pm »
+1

The game did not end very quickly. 4 Provinces in 16 turns is not that fast.

I would guess the optimal strategy here is to skip both alchemist and chapel entirely maybe? Hunting parties are better than alchemists because they don't require a detour for a potion and don't really need trashing. The question is what to terminate the hunting party stack with - Haggler, Fortune Teller, and Moneylender all seem reasonable, with my guess being that Haggler would work best, but Fortune Teller a close second.

Not sure whether to skip trashing on a 5/2 start. But DEFINITELY skip alchemists, IMO.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:52:37 pm »

Against an Alchemist/Chapel deck I would certainly be tempted to go Pirate Ship with Hunting Party as, though swingy, it could really leave a Chapel deck that still needs money in some trouble.

No matter, I would skip the Alchemist entirely for sure, echoing above.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »
+1

Hunting party + Haggler dominates here, end of story. No chapel and certainly no alchemist.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:28:42 pm »

D'oh. And that probably makes the best opening on 5/2 haggler/nothing.

KenN

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:27 pm »

Thank you everybody for your input.  I used Geronimoo's Simulator (one Haggler after the first HP).  HP/Haggler dominates.  Alc/Haggler wins <10% of the time.  Now, after ftl's post, I'll try opening w/ Haggler.

Edit:  In the simulator, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether one opens Haggler or HP.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:41:12 pm by KenN »

KenN

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:36 pm »
+4

By the way,
Thank you each for the respectful manner that you've used to correct my less than optimum game play.  You make the forum enjoyable to read and participate in (although it's been many months since I've done so.)

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 12:29:41 am »
+1

Thank you everybody for your input.  I used Geronimoo's Simulator (one Haggler after the first HP).  HP/Haggler dominates.  Alc/Haggler wins <10% of the time.  Now, after ftl's post, I'll try opening w/ Haggler.

Edit:  In the simulator, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether one opens Haggler or HP.

Really? That surprises me. I just checked and my sims tell me that getting haggler first on a 5/2 start is better, a win rate of about 50 to 40. Not that great of a difference but it's there. (On a 4/3 start, it seems to really not matter whether you get a haggler first or an HP first.)

I bet it's because if you open HP-nothing, there's about a 50% chance that the first time you play HP, it'll just be a cantrip with a chancellor effect. Whereas the haggler has a great chance of giving you a "HP+Silver" the first time you play it which can be really really nice early on (And there's even a shot of having your T3 be gold+hp, t4 silver. If that happens that's basically insta-win right there I think.) Chancelloring your deck isn't so bad but not so great either.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 12:40:54 am »

Yeah, definitely Haggler first. The more you can play that Haggler early on, the better. Also, once you get a Gold, prioritize Province-Hunting Party over Province-Gold.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.