Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adventure mode strategy thoughts  (Read 1258 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Adventure mode strategy thoughts
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:24:03 pm »

The more I play in Adventure mode, the more I realize that I'm struggling with how the changes to the initial starting cards changes the game tempo. How do you adjust your play to compensate for the different starting decks (e.g., opponent's Duchy instead of Estate or Silver instead of Copper)? What differences seem to make the most difference?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode strategy thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:58 pm »
+1

In my experience, it's usually more important to up your Copper to Silver, since it speeds you up more.  Downgrading your opponent's Province to Duchy can take precedence.

In a Chapel game, or other game with sufficient trashing, your starting deck isn't as important since it will be trashed (although Silver can help speed you up at the start).

Also, if your opponent starts with a wad of Silver, it can be difficult to overcome their big money strategy, in which case you should downgrade their Silver.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Avalanchian

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode strategy thoughts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:02:39 pm »

In my experience, it's usually more important to up your Copper to Silver, since it speeds you up more.  Downgrading your opponent's Province to Duchy can take precedence.

In a Chapel game, or other game with sufficient trashing, your starting deck isn't as important since it will be trashed (although Silver can help speed you up at the start).

Also, if your opponent starts with a wad of Silver, it can be difficult to overcome their big money strategy, in which case you should downgrade their Silver.

This. I've basically been finding exactly the same. An opponent's silvers can just out-pace you entirely, and if they don't have extra silver then I tend to boost myself for those 5/4 or 6/3 openings (unless they have a province, where I'll downgrade that first).

I hadn't thought about that with chapels. I'll take trashing into account more when evaluating zaps I think.
"Edge case challenges are the Rube Goldberg machines of Dominion" - Michaeljb
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.825 seconds with 21 queries.