• Dominion Strategy

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: $&^#!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:00:57 pm »

Incidentally Printing Press is pretty OP if you keep hitting purple cards.

But still.

$&^#!

antony

• Thief
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:36 pm »

It seems to me like if you reach lvl9-10 way ahead of your opponents you should really be aware of the risks of having to execute unknown cards and play it super safe.  Yes I know it's not sexy to go back to draw-meld-draw-meld at that point but...

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:18:50 pm »

1) I always thought that Software let you choose which of the two cards to meld/execute.

2) I actually thought of Bioengineering (having read about this hilarious loss because of Software), but thought I was safe from it because I had 5 leaves on the board.  That is, until The Internet covered up 3 of them...

marco2012

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:46:29 am »

lol this is a nice 'lost control' card......

p.s. I finally done a interesting combo
http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/28/game-20130128-080254-ef0270ac.html

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »

1st turn writing instead of metalworking? Why?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »

1st turn writing instead of metalworking? Why?

I like teching instead of scoring?  It's less likely to be shared?

Though I'm curious as to what the average rate of success is with Metalworking.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:11:12 am »

Well, if you start with metalworking in play, you're in a good spot to share many of your age 1 opponent's actions? I don't know if this is what he was getting at.

antony

• Thief
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:14:43 am »

http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/28/game-20130128-080254-ef0270ac.html
Using a card to draw a card one level higher than a lvl 10 or 2 levels higher than a lvl 9 is always an unexpected way to force scoring.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:05:37 am »
+1

I like teching instead of scoring?  It's less likely to be shared?

Though I'm curious as to what the average rate of success is with Metalworking.

I guess I may be biased as I read this post kind of early on before I am too familiar with the game. However, I do generally share the feeling that getting in age 2 alone early does not give the player significant advantage. One interesting thing that can be said is that if I have Masonry and Writing in hand then I will definitely meld Masonry instead of Writing as I do not want to let my opponent alone in age 1 with the possibility that he can metalwork. So in a sense I even prefer "sharing that metalwork" to writing. From this perspective it seems weird to meld writing instead when I have metalworking myself. But yeah, counter-intuitively it probably is slightly better to meld writing when you have metalworking in hand just because you don't need to worry your opponent will use it. 

But let's think about writing itself a bit. How good is it to jumpstart at age two?

So what are the cards in age 2? I would say

generally powerful: Fermenting, Mathematics, Calendar

useful in certain positions: Road building, Monotheism, Construction, Canal building

Scoring: Map making, Currency, Philosophy

So, when you start writing without any score, calendar, construction, canal building, map making, and currency are not that useful even if you draw them. Monotheism can be useful but your opponent is more likely to overwhelm you in the castle department. Fermenting just do not have enough leaves support from age 2 alone and your opponent can easily share it by having his otherwise useless pottery or agriculture on board. Furthermore, you just missed all the "efficiency cards" in age 1, which is probably useful early on just to build a symbol advantage by putting more cards on the table.  Except drawing into mathematics immediately, I do not see a particularly good development after opening writing.

And for metalworking, well it is not so sweet when your opponent can share it, but at least in half of those cases you got to share your opponent's Wheels or Mysticism as well.

Oh, and one more thing is that Writing start with 'W' which is horrible. In lots of cases you will end up putting your metalworking on board just to defend a bit on the castle front. Why not get that extra tick by melding metalworking first, when your opponent starts with some power cards such as the Wheel or Sailing? (Okay, maybe if you want to start writing you actually do not want to share the wheel? I don't know.)

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 06:33:57 am »

Using a card to draw a card one level higher than a lvl 10 or 2 levels higher than a lvl 9 is always an unexpected way to force scoring.

Had a game yesterday where my opponent had nuked everything with Fission, so we worked our way back up the tech tree, with Edu still available. I had a score lead and my opp mistakenly used it to return a 9...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.