Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ambassador  (Read 17956 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »

But you have to look at the war, and getting snowballed under. If they snowball you under, you're usually just toast. And if you're using quarry to buy an Amb on turn 3-4, then it really isn't any better than silver... (yeah yeah, if you draw A/Q/E/E/E, most unlikely hand there is).

Yeah it is... You draw Amb/S/C/C/E and you want to return 2 Coppers.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 03:13:47 pm »

But you have to look at the war, and getting snowballed under. If they snowball you under, you're usually just toast. And if you're using quarry to buy an Amb on turn 3-4, then it really isn't any better than silver... (yeah yeah, if you draw A/Q/E/E/E, most unlikely hand there is).

Yeah it is... You draw Amb/S/C/C/E and you want to return 2 Coppers.
Ah true. I still  don't think it makes a huge difference on my analysis.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 03:23:04 pm »

I don't know, you are much better off given the 30% chance of collision between your opening buys if you had Amb/Quarry instead of Amb/Silver. If you get a collision like I described above, you will likely still be able to buy Amb/Quarry and maintain substantial buying power for the second reshuffle.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:37:34 pm »
+2

I just played a textbook game where I built a non-Ambassador engine that countered Amb.

Apothecary and Stables were in the kingdom to take advantage of the extra Coppers and Masquerade trashed Estates and gave my opponent a difficult time with his trim deck. There was no virtual +$ in the kingdom and I ended up pinning my opponent with Throne Room, Worker's Village, and Pirate Ship.

EDIT: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20130220-124630-de220e4b.html
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:56:08 pm by dondon151 »

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52:59 pm »

4. Trader. Okay, so the classic Trader deck doesn't work in my experience, but say they opt for Amb/Trader. That thins them down, lets them buy silver on Amb hands ... and convert inbound crap into silvers (with a double shot if you through estates). Maybe I'm just playing Trader wrong, but do you want Amb/Trader or just Trader?
I'm beginning to think Amb/Trader is an excellent opening on a board where a) Amb would usually dominate, and b) you can win with a slog.  Basically for the reasons you describe: a collision before the second reshuffle is actually helpful, and if your opponent opens double-Amb you have an excellent chance of converting an incoming Copper or Estate into a Silver.  And, Trader can turn Estates into two Silvers.  So just bloat your deck with Silvers and slog to victory.  I've won like three or four games with this opening now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:55:05 pm by jaybeez »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 05:57:31 pm »

It might even be good in engine games because gaining Silvers for free early on greatly boosts your deck-building power at the exchange of some defensive ability against opponent Ambassadors.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.