Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Game freezes  (Read 3729 times)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Game freezes
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:28 pm »

When a game freezes, is this due to the opponent quitting or just some random bug?

I always thought it was Goko's fault, but today I got two frozen games, both after rather decisive turns.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Re: Game freezes
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:24:24 am »

Well, I'm still getting a lot of unintended crashes using Safari.

Sounds like looking at a few of the other threads there are plenty of people who are suspicious of when games are ending so.... maybe you're right to think you've been done over. The other thread involves discussion of Goko implementing a system where you can save a "friends" list of people you like to play against and a sort of personal black list of people you don't want to play again. I think this has been announced but there is no timeframe for implementation at this stage....

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:14:04 am »

I am using Chrome and only playing against bots. Most of the time it's fine. I have seen it freeze due to a lost connection, verified by trying to access other sites. I haven't seen other crashes since the Chrome update.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 04:49:56 am »

I am using Chrome and only playing against bots. Most of the time it's fine. I have seen it freeze due to a lost connection, verified by trying to access other sites. I haven't seen other crashes since the Chrome update.

In my cases it was not due to disconnection. It was just that the game and log stopped - the very last played card wasn't even displayed in the log. I can still zoom in on cards, but cannot do anything else anymore (nor write in the chat).

Like two weeks ago there sometimes used to appear a message that I lost internet connection (apart from Goko everything else worked fine though), and whether I'd like to reconnect. However, clicking OK on this message did literally nothing, so the game was still frozen.

Now there doesn't even appear a message anymore. The game just stops running.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:23:45 am »
+1

In my cases it was not due to disconnection. It was just that the game and log stopped - the very last played card wasn't even displayed in the log. I can still zoom in on cards, but cannot do anything else anymore (nor write in the chat).

Like two weeks ago there sometimes used to appear a message that I lost internet connection (apart from Goko everything else worked fine though), and whether I'd like to reconnect. However, clicking OK on this message did literally nothing, so the game was still frozen.

When I say "freeze" I mean, you can click on cards to read them but not much else.

I have not seen a reconnect message.

Obv. it sounds like your opponents quit out of Goko, and this caused it to lock up waiting to communicate with them. We can't tell for sure but it's a problem we would expect; remember that your opponent may be 13. If that's the issue then the solution in the end is friend/blocked lists and having players time out (ideally letting you choose between claiming victory or continuing vs. a bot). For sure it's important to fix.

If against all odds it's not people quitting then the question is, what is your OS/browser, is there something relating the different cases that can help locate the bug.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:05 am »

When I say "freeze" I mean, you can click on cards to read them but not much else.

I have not seen a reconnect message.

Obv. it sounds like your opponents quit out of Goko, and this caused it to lock up waiting to communicate with them. We can't tell for sure but it's a problem we would expect; remember that your opponent may be 13. If that's the issue then the solution in the end is friend/blocked lists and having players time out (ideally letting you choose between claiming victory or continuing vs. a bot). For sure it's important to fix.

If against all odds it's not people quitting then the question is, what is your OS/browser, is there something relating the different cases that can help locate the bug.

Yeah, that's the same understand of "freeze" that I was talking about.

And it's not like I'm furious about my opponent, the main issues are:

1. One cannot say what caused the problem. Was it your internet lagging, was it some Goko instability, or was it the opponent quitting? It just doesn't show.

2. You also don't know the consequences - is your opponent as upset as you are because it isn't working for him either, is it just as if the game never happened, or do you (or the opponent) received a loss or some entry into a 'quit register' or something

3. It happens at all. And it happens frequently.

Browser is Firefox 18.0.1 btw.

allan99

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 10:54:09 am »

Happens to me at least once per session, only when playing the Adventures.  Play a card, the buttons to the right disappear, able to click on cards, no message no recovery, no nothing.  Once waited 2 hours - nothing.  Windows 7 and IE9.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:24 pm »

I get freezing issues quite often on my laptop, but not on the PC at work. Both using Chrome. I feel like it has something to do with the graphics card at this point.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Avalanchian

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:45:19 pm »

I get freezing issues quite often on my laptop, but not on the PC at work.

Sounds like you need to put in some overtime then. Your boss will be very happy ;)
"Edge case challenges are the Rube Goldberg machines of Dominion" - Michaeljb

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:00:47 pm »

It's been quite a while since I've gotten a freeze, but I've gotten a fair amount of opponents who freeze at some point in the game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kalisary

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:41:43 pm »

This sounds exactly like what's happening to me, the game will just freeze, the last action doesn't complete itself, you can still magnify the cards or menus, but the game doesn't progress.

I'm only playing against bots, so I know it's not the opponent dropping out. I thought it might be a browser issue, but have tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome and it happens in them all. I am using a 13" 2011 MBP with the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000, in case it's potentially a GPU issue.

It would be great if we had a way to report it in the client when it occurs.

Does anyone have any potential insights?

Thanks,
Courtney. 

Kalisary

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:51 pm »

I might add that this issue seemed to increase in frequency until the point where I couldn't get the game to load (just the constant white dots going around in a circle) on any of the browsers.

However, I accidentally tried to load a game without being logged in and that loaded without a problem. I then logged back in and was able to play a game through to completion without any freezing.

Could it have something to do with logins?

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »

I get the same kind of freezes, but usually only on the first game I play, and usually on the first turn, so I'm not buying that it is due to opponent quitting.  After the first game I'm usually fine (using firefox, not the new beta).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.