Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wowsers!  (Read 1936 times)

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Wowsers!
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:45 am »
+1

This board is one of the absolute craziest boards I have ever seen:

Adventurer, Alchemist, Apprentice, Develop, Golem, Goons, King's Court, Possession, Potion, Stash, and University

First thing is there are four potion cost cards, which in of itself is extremely rare for a full random set.  In addition there is King's Court and Goons, which are arguably two of the strongest cards in the game.  Add in Apprentice for more Possession madness, and this board is loaded with decisions.  I squeaked out a victory here somehow, but I was really without a plan.  I have to think Develop is pretty good here for your deck, and Apprentice very bad.  Also Golem >> Alchemist, because top decking is useless with Possession, and Golem can cause your opponent to play a Possession.  Plus Goons counters decently.  But... I really don't know.

Thoughts?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/30/game-20130130-205537-fa8d16c9.html
A man on a mission.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Wowsers!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:11 am »

Skip Possession with a bunch of great counters on the board. Golem and Apprentice into Goons, with King's Courts. Develop is nice, and what is the point of skipping Alchemist if your opponent cant do anything with the cards he drew? So yeah, Alchemists, Develop, Golem, Goons, KC, Apprentice. It is great against Possession, and will net you a good amount of VP. Maybe some Universities for the actions, too. And possession,if you have the time and your oppenents deck isnt built against it.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:26:46 am »
+2

Also, skip Provinces--and once you have a couple of Goons, skip cash.  KC/Alch/Goons/Uni/Golem should allow you to get 2 or 3 points Goons buys many or most turns, and if your opponent wants to use your deck to get anything but you ave no cash, he has to give you points using Goons.

Also, this is the only board I've ever seen where Develop will grab you Potion cards easily.  Develop and Alchemist into Uni/Golem?  Nice!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:09:15 am »

Also, Keep an Apprentice instead of Develop if your opponent does go for Possession, as Develop would help him A LOT. Developing a King into a Goons and a Province on the deck is too good. Also beacuse you will have enough of the cards ou actually want, so the Develop will pretty much be a terminal "trash one card" whereas Apprentice is non-terminal and may help with some unexpected bad draw.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:47:42 pm »

Not sure if you can go develop OR apprentice here as both help your opponent too much when he possesses you. Plus you can golem into them at an inopportune time.  I think I'd go for KC, golem, alchemist and goons as my only cards.  If all your money comes from goons, his possession is useless. You could get an apprentice or 2 once you get rolling to thin your deck a bit, but it's really not necessary.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:09:41 pm »

Not sure if you can go develop OR apprentice here as both help your opponent too much when he possesses you. Plus you can golem into them at an inopportune time.  I think I'd go for KC, golem, alchemist and goons as my only cards.  If all your money comes from goons, his possession is useless. You could get an apprentice or 2 once you get rolling to thin your deck a bit, but it's really not necessary.
Apprentice wont help your opponent if all the stuff he draws is stuff he cant use.

Mad, I tell you.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:28:00 pm »

Also, Keep an Apprentice instead of Develop if your opponent does go for Possession, as Develop would help him A LOT. Developing a King into a Goons and a Province on the deck is too good. Also beacuse you will have enough of the cards ou actually want, so the Develop will pretty much be a terminal "trash one card" whereas Apprentice is non-terminal and may help with some unexpected bad draw.

KC/goons don't go on the possessor's deck, he just gains them onto his discard pile.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »

I was really conflicted on the opening.  Develop / Potion, Silver / Potion, Silver / Develop and Silver / Silver all seem to be legitimate openings.  I'm not sure if a Potion open is necessary, as this is a poor board for University, and hitting 3P is always tough. 
A man on a mission.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32:36 pm »

KC/goons don't go on the possessor's deck, he just gains them onto his discard pile.

He still gets a province.  In a deck like this with engine potential + king's court and possession you cannot let your opponent get any use out of possessions.  If you have develop you give him opportunities to easily make a run on 6 provinces (especially if you also have apprentice to allow him to draw your entire hand.  Powerman one this game because he KC'd a possession twice.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:33 pm »

He still gets a province.  In a deck like this with engine potential + king's court and possession you cannot let your opponent get any use out of possessions.  If you have develop you give him opportunities to easily make a run on 6 provinces (especially if you also have apprentice to allow him to draw your entire hand.  Powerman one this game because he KC'd a possession twice.
Sure, I never disagreed. I just wanted to emphasise, they don't go onto the possessor's deck but into his discard pile.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.