Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Which Internet Browsers Work Best?  (Read 1997 times)

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Which Internet Browsers Work Best?
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:28:08 pm »

Hi All,

I know this issue has been touched on in various other threads, but I'd like to know what other people are using now and what their play experience is like....

I'm using a recent MBP with the current version of Safari (and a pretty reliable, fast WIFI connection) and my experience playing Goko Dominion is not as good as I'm seeing being described by other people using other set ups.

I seem to remember in another thread Donald saying that he was using the beta version of the next version of Chrome with good results. I'm not a Google fan and I'd rather not have to download an alternate browser to Safari just to play Goko but if that is the only way to get a good game play experience, probably Firefox is a more acceptable alternate for me....? Are people getting good results using the current version of Firefox? Or is in necessary to download the beta of the next version of Firefox also?

I'm actually getting a better game play experience when playing the base set adventures than when I try to play multiplayer. With multiplayer I pretty much can't get to the end of the game without it locking up (or the screen going black except for a few unclickable cards). Does this mean that it is likely my problem is more related to Wifi connection than the browser I'm using? I don't have any Wifi related issues with the many other games I've played so it doesn't seem that likely.... 

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Which Internet Browsers Work Best?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:52:23 pm »

I'm actually getting a better game play experience when playing the base set adventures than when I try to play multiplayer. With multiplayer I pretty much can't get to the end of the game without it locking up (or the screen going black except for a few unclickable cards).

I have had variations of this problem, as well, which is why I don't really play on Goko. But, the last couple of days I have been trying it again and there have been noticeable performance improvements since last month using Firefox 18.0.1 (versus 17). I use a 4 year old Thinkpad. Quicker loading times, fewer freezes/crashes, no lag with animations. It's still not perfect, though.

I also don't have problems with other online games.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:33 pm »

I'm using Chrome and it's been running 100% smoothly since whatever update fixed the Adventure freezing problem.  Uses a ton of memory, but I have so much that it hasn't particularly bothered me.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »

I seem to remember in another thread Donald saying that he was using the beta version of the next version of Chrome with good results.
I never downloaded the beta. I was using Chrome; it stopped working; then Chrome was updated and it started working again. That's where it is now. I am having no problems with Chrome. It does not do a good job of regaining lost connections; maybe that code isn't in yet, I dunno.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:09 pm »

It does not do a good job of regaining lost connections; maybe that code isn't in yet, I dunno.

I have also had zero luck with reconnecting. I was a bit confused by the Q&A which seemed to suggest a reconnect feature.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:42:51 pm »

I have had a good experience with Chrome (minus not being able to see all of the lobbies)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »

Chrome has been fine recently - Adventures are working, and everything seems hunky dory.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:43 am »

Firefox is nice
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.232 seconds with 20 queries.