Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to play seaside with cards  (Read 2756 times)

grizzdom63

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
How to play seaside with cards
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:28:34 pm »

I am a new player, I have the Base and Intrigue set.  I have been playing dominion with seaside cards on my Android phone, and just started playing a few games on isotropic.

Here is my question regarding playing seaside cards with the actually cards on a tabletop.

What is the best way to keep track of extra actions, do you leave the cards out during your cleanup phase so that you will remember your bonuses for next turn?  Or is their a better way?  I would think a problem doing that would be when you shuffle your deck, these cards do not get shuffled into your draw pile if you leave them out this way.  Do you keep a pad of paper and note extra bonus stuff?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: How to play seaside with cards
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:34:59 pm »

Duration cards do not get cleaned up until they have done everything they are going to do.

grizzdom63

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »

Thanks, I am getting seaside next month, and can't wait to play it. 

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:53:24 am »
+1

I play duration cards by turning them 90 degrees when I first play them down.  At the start of the next turn, I turn them upright, and gain the benefits they provide.  At the end of any turn, I clean up all the cards that are not turned.  This doesn't have any technical benefit over the method given in the rules of having two rows of actions, but I find that I frequently don't have enough table space for two separate rows of action cards.

Silverback

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:17:58 am »

I play duration cards by turning them 90 degrees when I first play them down.  At the start of the next turn, I turn them upright, and gain the benefits they provide.  At the end of any turn, I clean up all the cards that are not turned.  This doesn't have any technical benefit over the method given in the rules of having two rows of actions, but I find that I frequently don't have enough table space for two separate rows of action cards.
I do exactly the same, but I play them upside down.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:45:12 pm »

I put new Duration cards (that will have an effect next turn) on a 2nd row above my other action cards. Then at the beginning of the next turn, I slide them down to the main action card row and gain their benefits. I think this may be suggested in the rulebook? It works quite well.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »

One extremely minor and subtle point (that you could safely ignore and probably never have it matter, ever):

If you play a Tactician but have nothing to discard, you know right away that it will have no effect after the current turn, so you discard it during cleanup the turn it is played. If you play an Outpost when you're already taking your 2nd turn in a row (either because of Outpost itself, or because of Possession), it doesn't "know" it won't give you another turn after this one until it actually tries to do that (and fizzles), so you don't clean it up this turn.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:16:32 pm by guided »

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:43:37 am »

Generally I have in front of me:

DECK -- "In Play" -- "In Play Durations" -- "Last Turn's Durations" -- DISCARD

These will normally be left to right in front of me, so I'll just be moving cards from left to right as I take my turns. I'll tend to put treasuries and anything else with special cleanup into the second pile. My girlfriend is slightly less discipled and tends to have a few "Oh crap, I played a fishing/treasury/caravan and now it's in my discard somewhere" problems.

This takes a bit of room, but my GF and I have dominion semi-permanently set up on our dining table, so it's not an issue.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 02:57:01 am »
+1

I add a "comes into play tapped" line to my Duration cards. It's easy, visual and cheating is out of the question. If you're not a Magic player, tapped = turn card 90°.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:19 am »

I usually do it the way recommended in the rulebook.

I have two rows of cards: Upper row is for Duration cards played this turn, bottom row is for regular cards played this turn.
In only cleanup the bottom row.
At the start of my turn, I pull the Duration cards from the previous turn down to the bottom row and resolve them, leave them there and clean them up with regular cards at the end of my turn.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.