Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's your strategy for this set?  (Read 3105 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
What's your strategy for this set?
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:52:29 pm »

Bazaar, Bridge, Courtyard, Familiar, Feast, Harem, Masquerade, Pirate Ship, Potion, Stash, and Thief

Assume you open 4/3

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: What's your strategy for this set?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »

I'd probably open masquerade/potion and plan on familiar spamming, then have an decision between bazaar/bridge (against pirate ship), or conventional mostly money style.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:02:27 pm »

It would depend on what I might learn from my opponent's buy.  If he opened Potion, I might consider doing the same.  Masquerade either way.  Masq/Familiar is okay, but it has its problems.

I see a big money board here, and Courtyard and Masquerade paired with treasure might be better.  I just don't like the idea of eating all of the curses.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:49:31 pm by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 04:07:26 pm »

My opponent opened Masquerade.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:13:07 pm »

Did you open 3/4 or 4/3?  And were you player 1 or 2?  It would effect my decision here.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:15:50 pm »

I was player 2.  I opened 4/3.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »

Yeah, in that case i would have bought the Potion.  It is too risky to not.  Familiar is quite a bit stronger than Sea Hag or Young Witch against Masquerade, mostly because it is so spammable.

The issue is drawing the Familiar dead with Masquerade, but Masq does indeed help with cycling;  it helps get the Potion into play faster for another Familiar buy.  Uncountered Familiars win games. 

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:07:15 pm »

Simulator seems to like masquerade/silver+courtyard. I'd probably have been tempted by masquerade/silver+masquerade myself but I can certainly see how the courtyard would work.  Unless I've coded it wrongly, masquerade/silver+thief is surprisingly better than masquerade/potion+familiars too. I didn't explore a pirate strategy or anti-pirate measures too deeply.

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »

I tried the Silver/Masquerade strategy, trying to get Bazaars and Courtyards and other Masquerades.  But my opponent, who went into Familiars, hit me with two Curses on turn 8 and three Curses on turn 10.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 07:21:27 pm »

I tried the Silver/Masquerade strategy, trying to get Bazaars and Courtyards and other Masquerades.

Stashes are better here than bazaars (even when played by the simulator which might not be perfect). When I tried to simulate some options it became clear that moving into a bazaar + actions deck was going to be step backwards before you could get any step forwards. Stashes are robust against thieves and pirates too.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:25:57 pm by DG »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 07:59:14 pm »

I tried the Silver/Masquerade strategy, trying to get Bazaars and Courtyards and other Masquerades.  But my opponent, who went into Familiars, hit me with two Curses on turn 8 and three Curses on turn 10.
You can't ignore curses and try to get into an action chain. It's going to be too slow. If you ignore familiar, I think you just have to rush to provinces.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »

I don't think you can rush to provinces fast enough to avoid getting bogged down by curses, can you?

In some cases it's possible to beat heavy cursing with multiple masquerades and action-chaining to play those multiple masquerades but that seems like it would work better against sea hags than the spammable familiars, as mmm said.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:51 pm »

Familiars on a board that allows for the eventual trashing of the Potion are very strong.  It is very hard for me to ignore Familiars in any case;  I have probably lost more games on $2P hands than anything else.  That shows the power of Familiar.

The $4 cursers all have a heavy price to pay when you use them.  They cost an action and can draw good cards dead.  The YW can be nullified by the Bane and the Hag cripples your early economy.  The Familiar does not suffer from these drawbacks and therefor are not countered by Masquerade nearly as well.  The drawback for Familiar is the inclusion of a Potion in your deck and the possibility that you will not be able to buy one after your first shuffle.  Both of these drawbacks can be mitigated with the cycling and trashing ability of Masquerade.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »

I don't think you can rush to provinces fast enough to avoid getting bogged down by curses, can you?

In some cases it's possible to beat heavy cursing with multiple masquerades and action-chaining to play those multiple masquerades but that seems like it would work better against sea hags than the spammable familiars, as mmm said.
I think trying to chain multiple masqs is worse than just buying 2 with no +action cards, and living with the fact that they might collide. You get some curse passing/trashing, and you sprint way ahead in money and provinces. Familiar is actually pretty slow, since the familiar gives no real benefit besides the cursing, so I think you can race past it with masquerades.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.