Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some requests for dougz  (Read 1437 times)

antony

• Thief
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
Some requests for dougz
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:23:28 am »
+2

Dougz, as you may have picked up from the other thread, I am trying to write a parser for Innovation games to extract whatever statistics may be interesting.  Right now there are two things (among others) that make this slightly harder:
1/ There is no (afaict) all.tar.bz2 file that allows me to grab a large number of logs at a time -- right now I can just test my parser on whatever logs I remember to save directly after the game.
2/ The "transfer" action doesn't always say from where the card come -- right now I can see at least Archery (transfer from hand) and Navigation (transfer from score pile) that produce identical logs ("<player> transfers <card> to <player>'s <location>").  Can you make this log "<player> transfers <card> from <location> to <player>'s <location>" instead?
Of course there is no hurry, but that would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Some requests for dougz
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »
+1

You might want to

1) have this convo over email
2) encourage doug to generate structured output logs (or offer to do it yourself)

The dominion log parser from CR was insanely painful to write/debug.  I've wasted lots of man hours on that sucker, it's still only ~99% accurate on the game level.  Consider for example, that if doug introduces a small bug that he fixes in an hour, like typoing a word in the text output, your parser might barf and require an explicit work around (https://github.com/rrenaud/dominionstats/blob/master/parse_game.py#L48).

Generally speaking, it's a lot easier to generate structured output from the beginning than it is to infer structure from flat text.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.