Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nice Menagerie/HoP board  (Read 1002 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Nice Menagerie/HoP board
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:37 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/28/game-20130128-143259-5b799ed6.html

cards in supply: Bank, Contraband, Familiar, Grand Market, Horn of Plenty, Menagerie, Militia, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Stables, and Woodcutter

So many cards here I wanna get... and I tend to get overwhelmed by boards like this because there's so much going on strategically and tactically. I'd appreciate your input. Anyway I open Potion/Woodcutter aiming for early Familiars... and I wanted a Militia ASAP to slow down my opponent. (Potion before Militia here, right?) Woodcutter over Silver here because I'll need the +buy and it's the only terminal besides Militia. For the deck variety, HoP is good as well as Menagerie (discard attack an added bonus to Menag). P-stones get really good, and are useful (along with HoP) to pick up GMs and other goodies. Fun game.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Re: Nice Menagerie/HoP board
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:27:23 am »

Nothing earth shattering to add, but Woodcutter is rarely worthwhile, and while it's not total crap here, I still don't like it.  If there were some source of +action, then maybe, but I think the single Militia is all the terminals you need (with menagerie on the board you will often be helping your opponent with a militia so while I am normally inclined to get two terminal attacks in a non-terminal draw engine, I'm not sure that it's worth it here). HoP serves your +buy needs early and Grand Markets later on do whatever the HoP can't.  I observe that the +buy from the woodcutter was not used once.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Menagerie/HoP board
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »

I'm not totally sure militia is a great idea here. In a curse game with no trashing it opens up Menagerie as a powerful/ viable card for your opponent.  As you can see there were a number of turns where militia helped you more than it hurt. (Discard duplicate curses/estates/coppers to activate menagerie. I might let my op help me with militia while I go for silver/woodcutter/menagerie with my <5 buys

Also, this would have been a decent game to pick up a contraband early. It's 1 more variety of card for HoP and menagerie.  And with the curses in your deck it is very difficult for your opponent to intelligently prohibit your buys. He pretty much has to choose grand market the whole time. which leaves gold/bank/province all open for you.

Also buying the 3rd familiar over a philo stone was questionable. It turned out that you played the first curseless familiar.  And philo was worth 3 at that point, and 4$ soon.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.028 seconds with 20 queries.