Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When to go for Council Room?  (Read 2726 times)

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
When to go for Council Room?
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:00:41 am »

+4 Card with an extra buy is super good, though adding a card for your opponent is annoying... so how to decide if I should go for council room? For example, any card that would make council room great (except the perhaps obvious discarding attack)?

If smithy and CR are both available, when would you take a CR over smithy (except in 4/3 opening)?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: When to go for Council Room?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:21:24 am »

If there is a discard attack, then a Village-Council Room engine could work well.  Militia, Goons, Margrave, and even Followers all work.  Don't overlook Urchin, either.  It's a cantrip, which is nice.  When you have only one action left, but both Urchin and Council Room in hand, you can attack first (maybe drawing a Village) and then play CR leaving your opponent with a 5 card hand.

When discard attacks are not available, I'll sometimes incorporate a single CR into my engine if I need the +buy.
Well you *do* need a signature...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:29:59 am »

A Council Room engine that ramps us super quick is very powerful, but an engine that relies solely on CR for +buy (and that requires a lot of engine components) is a bad idea.

crazyrunnerguy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:36 am »

If there is a discard attack, then a Village-Council Room engine could work well.  Militia, Goons, Margrave, and even Followers all work.
Village/Militia/Council Room is one of my favorite engines in base set. 2x CR's, 2x Militias, 5-6 Villages and you're set. If there are no discard attacks or village-type cards, I'll usually only pick up one to capitalize on the occassional possibility of double Province, provided there is enough coin in my deck.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:15:21 pm »

If you get a CR and your opponent doesn't, you're more likely to hit Province and another green card in the same turn. It's tie-breakers like that that can get you out of a stall war. If you and your opponent both goes for CR it's important to remember that you don't always have to play it.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:23:02 pm »

And when your opponent has built a deck which he's able to draw completely, the lab-bonus doesn't really matter either

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »

Also games where the +1 Buy makes all the difference, such as games with Peddler
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:19:52 am by Piemaster »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »

Also games with Possession.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 06:25:14 pm »

If smithy and CR are both available, when would you take a CR over smithy (except in 4/3 opening)?

If I need the extra Buy then I'll live with giving my opponent an extra card.  If you're both building an engine then a Buy is so much more useful than a card that you'll do well if you have CR but your opponent gives it a miss.

Here's a recent game where I pick up Council Room for the Buy.  It's not a perfect example because there are also Minions to get the hand-size back down, but it is a case where I'd have gone CR over Smithy given the choice.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 08:14:54 pm »

Council room is fine. If I had the choice of 5 coins for a council room or 5 coins for a smithy then I'd nearly always take the council room. Plus four cards is a lot and if you've a good deck you can do a lot with those cards. Perhaps if your opponent has a mediocre deck then giving them an extra card is ok, especially if they only have one buy each turn and can only play one terminal.

The are situations where you don't want to give your opponent extra cards. This might be when they have a better deck than you, they need card pairings to make the deck work (such as baron/estate), have some cellar type actions, or need defensive cards in hand (such as curse vs mountebank).

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:40:21 pm »

When I think about combos with Council Room, I think of Bank and Fool's Gold. Both of them like having large hand sizes to collide with other treasures, and they like having the +Buy to take advantage of the large amount of cash generated. I wouldn't be so excited to play this kind of a deck if Margrave were also present.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:50:58 pm »
+5

When to go for Council Room?

When you need to figure out lots of cool stats about various Dominion cards and players? 8)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.