Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Chess  (Read 23910 times)

TheMathProf

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Chess
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 10:35:06 pm »

I play fairly avidly, rated 2129 USCF and 1865  :o FIDE.  Doesn't pay to have your worst tournament ever as nine of your only ten FIDE rated games.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:29 pm »
+5

I don't like to play with people who over-analyze the game and can develop strategies which can absolutely destroy you. This of course sucks all the fun out of the game.

Had to do it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »

I don't like to play with people who over-analyze the game and can develop strategies which can absolutely destroy you. This of course sucks all the fun out of the game.

Had to do it.

Ok I know this is sarcasm but this is a genuine barricade for me playing chess. Most (all?) of the people who I would play with are at least moderately good, good enough to beat a relative noob like me every time, and I really don't like playing games that I know (or even feel like) I have zero chance of winning. A game like Dominion has enough luck and variation that even though it strongly rewards skilled play, luck can give a newbie an occasional win or at least make it a close game.

Now, this is enough to keep me from wanting to play casually every now and then, but I have been tempted to dive into the game and try to learn. I don't mind playing and losing game after game if I am learning from each one (and since I have a rather obsessive personality, learning from outside research as well :P), but until then if I'm picking an evening game, it will never be chess because, yeah, feeling helplessly outmatched kinda sucks the fun out of it for me.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2013, 07:43:42 am »

Had to do it.

Ok I know this is sarcasm but this is a genuine barricade for me playing chess. Most (all?) of the people who I would play with are at least moderately good, good enough to beat a relative noob like me every time, and I really don't like playing games that I know (or even feel like) I have zero chance of winning. A game like Dominion has enough luck and variation that even though it strongly rewards skilled play, luck can give a newbie an occasional win or at least make it a close game.

Now, this is enough to keep me from wanting to play casually every now and then, but I have been tempted to dive into the game and try to learn. I don't mind playing and losing game after game if I am learning from each one (and since I have a rather obsessive personality, learning from outside research as well :P), but until then if I'm picking an evening game, it will never be chess because, yeah, feeling helplessly outmatched kinda sucks the fun out of it for me.
Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but maybe Go is for you. Different board sizes and handicap rules work wonders towards matching vastly differently skilled players.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2013, 11:59:32 am »

Had to do it.

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but maybe Go is for you. Different board sizes and handicap rules work wonders towards matching vastly differently skilled players.

I will check it out! I've heard a lot of great things, naturally, but I've never played.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2013, 02:42:36 am »
+5

Time to stop playing this, I heard the sequel is coming out.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2013, 02:49:26 am »

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 04:39:49 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960 ?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:37 am »
+1

Fischer random is the dominionification of chess.  E. g., awesome

Cintrari

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 04:03:27 pm »

There was a point in my life that I was president of my high school chess club. It was kind of a joke - at least I played it off like that, but truth be told, I just reallllly loved playing. I still dabble from time to time and definitely take on any opponent who offers a game. Chess.com here I come.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 04:04:05 pm »

There was a point in my life that I was president of my high school chess club. It was kind of a joke - at least I played it off like that, but truth be told, I just reallllly loved playing. I still dabble from time to time and definitely take on any opponent who offers a game. Chess.com here I come.

Welcome to the forums!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2016, 05:31:16 pm »

My username on lichess is 'Seprix'. I've been playing a lot more chess lately.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2017, 09:20:21 pm »
+2

I've just been working at a tournament where a controversy arose. The atmosphere got very strange on the last day.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2017, 01:07:44 pm »

Workino at a chess tournament actually sounds kinda cool.  Are you normally in Gibraltar, Jack?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:21 am »

Workino at a chess tournament actually sounds kinda cool.  Are you normally in Gibraltar, Jack?
I've been a game-inputter at that tournament a few times now. Never go there for any other reason. :)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2019, 09:05:20 pm »
+2

This week is in some sense going to see one of my biggest achievements as an arbiter: getting to arbit at the FIDE Grand Swiss, a qualifier for the Candidates' tournament. Although in terms of actual arbiting difficulty, it'll probably be easier than some random weekender.

On the playing front, I've had a good year, and now have a rating of 2330 - my first rating over 2300 since 2013.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.