Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wiki Suggestion: Games where X shines  (Read 3002 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Wiki Suggestion: Games where X shines
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:51 pm »

I'd like to suggest a wiki page (or maybe pages) on the theme of "Games where [X] shines." The idea would be to collect games (iso/goko logs and/or YouTube videos) in which players make normally bad cards useful, ideally with some commentary of why they used the card in that situation.

For instance, Stef's recent post on buying a Spy with his first $6 would be a phenomenal entry to the "Games where Spy shines" page.

I'm thinking this belongs on the wiki rather than just the forum because it would be easier to accumulate games and commentary for specific cards. I don't know if it would be better to have a single page (e.g., Games Where Weak Cards Shine) or make separate pages for specific cards. Thoughts?

Admin fixed broken link
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:27:07 pm by rrenaud »

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Wiki Suggestion: Games where X shines
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:31:37 pm »
+4

The feature is totally fine/reasonable.

But that particular game for spy.  I mean, it's just that there was nothing good in 5s and he didn't want a gold.  It's not that the spy was good, it was mildly better than being actively harmful.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 05:25:59 pm »

Spy for $6 is something a little more notable than just "there are no good $5s." I get that Spy is really only useful because it's a cantrip, but man - there's a powerful lesson in that game about economy and deck cycling. And the Spy effect isn't bad, because it certainly helps the deck resiliency in the greening phase. If you're going to play Spy, that's a pretty darned good way to do it. I'm not saying that Spy is dominant, but there's a specific need on this board that Spy fulfills. For a really bad card, this might be as strong as it gets, and it's worth learning that lesson.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »

Rather than being a specific page, this is probably better as a section on the pages for the specific cards.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »
+1

I agree with rrenaud.  There is certainly a lesson to learned here, but it's mostly that buying a Gold would have cluttered his deck.  This isn't really an example of where X shines, with X = Spy.  This is more like an example where the reflexive Gold buy was not a good idea. Nor would Jester, for reasons described.  And hell, a Spy was clearly better than nothing.

Rather than being a specific page, this is probably better as a section on the pages for the specific cards.

And if this is going on specific card pages, then this for sure isn't worth putting on the Spy page.
Well you *do* need a signature...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:26:35 pm »

The feature is totally fine/reasonable.

But that particular game for spy.  I mean, it's just that there was nothing good in 5s and he didn't want a gold.  It's not that the spy was good, it was mildly better than being actively harmful.
Isn't that a glass half empty/half full thing?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:47:03 pm »
+1

Imagine he didn't buy spy.  How much worse off would he be?  If he is barely any worse off then spy wasn't important.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.