Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let the learning begin...  (Read 1449 times)

tolenmar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Let the learning begin...
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:32 am »
+1

I just played Drab Emordnilap on Iso. I lost.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/25/game-20130125-074544-ebbdc76d.html

This does not bother me, though, as I do not have access to all of the cards, so I do not know them well enough to put together much of a plan. This board had a lot of cards that I've never played before, and I thank Drab Emordnilap for his patience.

Now, as far as my own commentary, aside for not being too familiar with the cards, I did not get my economy going very well at all. Plus, thanks to his minions I didn't often get much of a chance to buy anything good. By the time things started to work, I was already behind.  Yes, I bought the penultimate Province, but I just didn't see anyway to catch up, and he was at work, so I didn't want to try to drag things out.

So...comments? Just, be gentle. =)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: Let the learning begin...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:33:24 pm »

Some initial thoughts:

You buy potion on t5 and lose the curse split 6-3 (in a familiar game, they should be all gone before provinces are gone, btw, Drab should've got another familiar to seal the deal).
You open conspirator (which is questionable, see above) and yet you buy gold over an action card (which you need to activate conspirators).
You buy treasury instead of minion. The nice thing about treasury is, you can put it back. Now, when you have minions in the setup, you may put them back just to get them discarded by your opponent's minion. An minion provides faster cycling which you want for familiar and conspirator.
Then you buy embassy which should've been another minion.

Overall, I wouldn't go for provinces. Every card here has its use, you're guaranteed to gain a curse, so 15 cards should be easy to reach. And then you have duke. So if you can split curses 5/5, your opponent will have a pretty hard time to get to 7 or 8 provinces while 5 and 6 is much more doable with the support here. Just don't get too much treasure.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:51:36 pm »

I don't know how well you're going to remember anything specifically from this game if you don't already have the basic framework of strategy and card knowledge. Play around with the cards some more and perhaps read through Qvist's power rankings of cards? Knowing which cards are generally "good" and which are generally "bad" can really help speed up your progress. It did for me, anyways.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »

In my defense, I played this game at work; my play shouldn't be held up as any sort of gold standard here either.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:14:31 pm »

There are a lot of things going on in this kingdom, and if you don't know all the cards, you're going to have a hard time absorbing all the lessons. I think lesson 1 is that attacks are often the key to the game, so when you're looking at the cards, look at attacks first (iso conveniently puts a red dot next to them)! If you don't see a good way of dealing with an attack, you should probably get it, asap, and try to play it as much as possible. Here, taking this approach, you would probably want to open Potion/Silver, and then focus on buying Familiars and Minions, which in addition to attacking, cycle your deck around to play your Familiar(s) more often.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:35:38 pm »

Yeah, opening Conspirator is definitely not so hot.  Most likely Potion/Silver, but I could see the argument for opening Spice Merchant / Silver.
A man on a mission.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »

Yeah, opening Conspirator is definitely not so hot.  Most likely Potion/Silver, but I could see the argument for opening Spice Merchant / Silver.

Nah, this is a game where Familiar matters.

Potion/Silver into Familiars, pick up a Spice Merchant on next $4, then Minions and Conspirators (careful not to go overboard on the latter).  If having a tough time getting $5, pick up a Crossroads or two to help with Conspirators.

Curse, Minion, Conspirator, Crossroads, Spice Merchant, Fairgrounds, Estate, Familiar make 8 unique cards.  If you don't trash Potion and keep at least one Copper, that makes 10.  Treasury is OK too, to hit 11.

From that point I'd be a little touchy.  Duchy, Province, Silver, Gold bring you up to 15 for 6VP Fairgrounds.  Duke/Duchy might be OK too... even with a lot of green in deck, hitting $5 consistently shouldn't be too bad with Crossroads support.  But it's a little weird with Minion.  Hm.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.