Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to Play A Fast, Fast Governor Game (6 Provinces in 12 Turns)  (Read 1620 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
+2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/24/game-20130124-125839-0e0204c0.html

cards in supply: Explorer, Fairgrounds, Fortune Teller, Governor, Harem, Masquerade, Shanty Town, Smithy, Spy, and Throne Room

The above game is a good representation of the power of Governor in even a simple set. There's nothing shabby about 6 Provinces in 12 turns. What's astonishing is that the Governor needs very little support. The only other cards I buy are 1 Masquerade, 1 Shanty Town, 1 Throne Room, a pointless Harem and some Silver.

Masquerade is of course a game accelerator, so that's a key early card.

In terms of using Governor, my first priority is more Governors. Here, I only use the trash function to turn Silver into Governor. This allows me to double up on Governor on turn 8. I don't mind losing the Silver because A) I get them from my opponent anyway B) Governor wants Gold way more.

My second priority is to gain Golds, so I do that several times along the way as I buy my Governors. It can be a bit tricky knowing when to do it, but thanks to Masquerade and Shanty Town, I'm still able to buy Governor on the turns I use Governor to gain Gold.

So, ultimately the Governor pile is empty and I have 7 of them by turn 9. I have also amassed 5 Gold. The time I had $4, I went for a Throne Room, though you could make an argument for Spy. I have so many Governors, though, I figure I'll never draw it dead. $4s are nice to have anyway, in case I need to defensively trash into Duchy.

You can see what I do on my last two turns. This critical mass of Governors allows me to turn every Gold I have into a Province, and buy the last Province. I know at the end that I'm either buying all the Provinces, or only leaving like 1 of them, so I don't care about giving him a huge hand. If he even gets another turn (he doesn't) there won't be much left for him to do with it.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: How to Play A Fast, Fast Governor Game (6 Provinces in 12 Turns)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »

It also helps you that he's mostly using his Governors for +cards the whole game, which gives you the biggest benefit from them. I find that when your opponent uses the gain Gold ability a lot, you have a harder time pulling off the winning mega-turn because of the extra Silver bloating your deck.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »
+2

The only other cards I buy are 1 Masquerade, 1 Shanty Town, 1 Throne Room, a pointless two point Harem and some Silver.
FTFY

edit: interesting way to play it though, I never really thought about chopping my silvers into Governors.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:03:19 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:26:14 pm »
+2

The only other cards I buy are 1 Masquerade, 1 Shanty Town, 1 Throne Room, a pointless two point Harem and some Silver.
FTFY

edit: interesting way to play it though, I never really thought about chopping my silvers into Governors.

Same, and I just (5 minutes ago) played a game I won where I turned some silvers into Governors. Thanks, Robz.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:53:03 am »

Governor is definitely a very strong card if you get 7 of them by turn 9.  Good win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.