Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another take on "Blood Money"?: Ring of Power  (Read 6708 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Another take on "Blood Money"?: Ring of Power
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:49:56 pm »
+15

So for some reason, I was thinking about what a Lord of the Rings Dominion expansion would look like. And the idea that came to me was this:

Ring of Power
Treasure: cost $0
Worth $3
When you play this, gain a Curse.

It's not a Kingdom card. Your starting deck consists of three Estates (or Shelters), six Coppers, and the One Ring. (Decide whether to use the Ring the same way you decide whether to use Shelters or Colonies: chance of using it is proportional to the number of cards from the expansion.)

This seems to avoid some of the problems that "When you play this, gain a Curse" cards have?—such as just being Gold when the Curses run out. That's still true for this, of course, but the fact that you have it in your starting deck means you can't just wait for the Curses to run out before gaining it, or not gain one if you don't think the Curses are going to run out, or anything. And its presence in your starting deck makes for some interesting tactical choices—at the most basic level, would you rather open Silver/Silver, or Silver/Gold/Curse?

I also thought of a Kingdom card that would interact with this well—

Hobbit
Action: cost $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
-------
While this is in play, when you gain a card you may trash it.

—the idea being, if you have a Hobbit you can use the One Ring more safely... but its combo with Market Square and Goons is probably too good, so it should have a different top half than +1 Buy.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Another take on "Blood Money"?: Ring of Power
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:35:18 pm »

Interesting, except for the fact that what happens when you open 5/2, or in this case, 7/2? That's a first turn Forge, or Expand. Which means you'll be very able to get rid of that curse. Now, if it was a Silver that you started with, it would be a little better, because you're starting with it, so it can't really be that good (think Overgrown Estate and Hovel) so Silver with a curse as starter would probably be good.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:33 pm »

Interesting, except for the fact that what happens when you open 5/2, or in this case, 7/2?
mail-mi has a point. I don't think this would work as a starter card for that reason. It is a cool idea though, just would make the starting hands much messier.

LotR mini set, now that would be awesome.  ;D

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:02:28 pm »

Interesting, except for the fact that what happens when you open 5/2, or in this case, 7/2? That's a first turn Forge, or Expand. Which means you'll be very able to get rid of that curse.

Hmm, maybe. How does a Forge/Curse opening compare to a Chapel opening, though? If there's good $4s, and you get lucky, you can trash 2 Estates with the Forge and get the $4 on the second shuffle that you could have gotten on the first shuffle alongside Chapel; if you're unlucky, the Forge just gains you a $2 or even a Copper; you can't get Silver with it unless you draw it with three Shelters. (Though on the other hand, you have a shot at Gold with 3 Estates.) I'm not sure Forge/Curse compares that favorably to a Chapel/$4 opening; it's more like a Chapel/nothing opening in some cases.

Now it may be that just the ability for one player to open with a multi-trasher when the other can't is overpowered—there's a reason Chapel costs $2, of course. But then, the Mint / Fool's Gold opening also exists; and in general there's a lot of cases where the 5/2 open is a lot better (or a lot worse) than the 4/3.

Now, if it was a Silver that you started with, it would be a little better, because you're starting with it, so it can't really be that good (think Overgrown Estate and Hovel) so Silver with a curse as starter would probably be good.

Hmm, really? I don't know if +$2 is enough to make me willing to gain a curse before the first shuffle under ordinary circumstances. Well, maybe if it'd get me a power $5 in the opening. Hmm. It's a question not unlike "when do you defy an Embargo?"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:04:51 pm by AJD »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:09:11 am »

This card makes me wonder what the best King's Court/$2 card/Curse opening would be. Depends on the kingdom I suppose.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:05 am »

This card makes me wonder what the best King's Court/$2 card/Curse opening would be. Depends on the kingdom I suppose.
Embargo?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:20:56 am »
+1

Seriously, 5/2 is rare enough. But 4 Coppers and Ring is seriously rare. And 4 Coppers and ring with a decent $6+ card will be even more rare. And 4 coppers and Ring with that $6+ card happening to be Forge...

...plus theres the curse.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

khanh93

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:07:14 pm »

5/2 is NOT rare. Each player has a one-fourth (ish?) chance of getting a five-two split. Cards need to be balanced based on opening theory. The chance of getting Ring + 4$ is identical to getting $5 in a normal game.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:09:56 pm »

5/2 is NOT rare. Each player has a one-fourth (ish?) chance of getting a five-two split. Cards need to be balanced based on opening theory. The chance of getting Ring + 4$ is identical to getting $5 in a normal game.

No, it's not.  only 5 out of 7 such openings will have Ring+ $4.  The other 2 out of 7 will have a $5 and Ring+CEEE.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:13:12 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 08:17:12 pm »

There is a 1/6 chance of 5/2 and, with RoP, a 5/42 chance of 7/2.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:05:40 am »

the idea of LotR dominion is awesome. I just feel the ring of power has more to it than just riches. Of course this power comes with a hefty loss as well. and if you overuse the power you will lose your mind.

Ring of power:
Action: cost 0 (this is not in the supply)
+1 action
Search your deck or your discard pile for a card and put it in your hand. Gain a curse. Trash a card.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:27:40 am »

the idea of LotR dominion is awesome. I just feel the ring of power has more to it than just riches. Of course this power comes with a hefty loss as well. and if you overuse the power you will lose your mind.

Ring of power:
Action: cost 0 (this is not in the supply)
+1 action
Search your deck or your discard pile for a card and put it in your hand. Gain a curse. Trash a card.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
I like where you're going with this... Could use refining, but it has a nice theme-use connection.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 01:54:54 am »

Imo, 7$ trashers are poor design.  It's unfair to expect people to design around them.  They break innocent cards like Quarry with their swinginess. 

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:28 pm »

Imo, 7$ trashers are poor design.  It's unfair to expect people to design around them.  They break innocent cards like Quarry with their swinginess.

The only $7 trashers are in the same set as Quarry, so it would have been at least partially intentional, knowing how often the combo would come up.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.