Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IRL game thoughts  (Read 1305 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
IRL game thoughts
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »

Last night I played a IRL game with one of my friends on a very complex board: Fool's Gold, Embargo, Chancellor, Salvager, Masquerade, Familiar, Navigator, Salvager, Pirate Ship, Death Cart

Power cards: Fool's Gold, Masquerade, Familiar. FG suffers from poor +Buy (Salvager). Masquerade is probably stronger than Familiar, right?

Either Masquerade or Fool's Gold lead towards money-dense decks (and thin decks, in the Masquerade case), which Pirate Ship can be a counter for. But, there's no +Actions, so Pirate Ship is going to be slow in building up and probably can't be an economy unto itself.

Embargo can be brutal against Fool's Gold and can potentially deter a Familiar.

How would you play this set? I opted for Masquerade/Embargo on a 5/2 into BM. Had awful shuffle luck (Embargo and Masquerade collided turn 3, played the Masquerade to cycle faster and had to pass a Copper, leaving me with another $2 hand turn 4). I ended up losing by a couple of Estates to a "little bit of everything" deck that somehow collided Fool's Golds regularly despite having no trashing AND buying an early Death Cart that was never played until we were Duchy dancing. I don't know how much of that to blame on the shuffling; I probably should have Embargoed Fool's Golds but went for Pirate Ship instead.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: IRL game thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »
+2

FG suffers from poor +Buy (Salvager).

But Salvager is great for Fool's Gold; Estates turn right into Fool's Golds, and later you can Salvage a Copper (which you don't want anyways) and buy 2 Fool's Golds, and you can Salvage Provinces late to end the game faster.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »
+1

Masquerades often make complex boards quite simple since they nullify so many other strategies. Masquerade+ fool's gold can expect to beat familiars (except maybe a lucky chancellor), play through pirates ships, has a good match up against salvagers, can allow some embargo busting, and so on. Even though there are some competitive strategies against a masquerade here, they are probably not as flexible and would suffer under an embargo.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:52:07 pm »

Salvager/FG seems clearly better to me.  I don't care about the masq +draw very much when I'm just trying to hit $2 every turn, so the abiluity to get two G in one turn trumps the normally superior Masq.

Can anyone make an argument for Masq/FG or Salvager/Masq?

If my opponent gets an Embargo, I'll have to grab a Masq or two, but it won't deter me from continuing with FG, assuming I already have 3-4 before that happens.  Same thing with Familair - it'll make me dip into Masq, but its presence is not enough to deter my open.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.