Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Who do you think will win the tournament?

-Stef-
- 84 (70.6%)
lespeutere
- 10 (8.4%)
Mic Qsenoch
- 9 (7.6%)
Obi Wan Bonogi
- 16 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: 2012 DominionStrategy.com Championships: Final Four  (Read 74976 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 DominionStrategy.com Championships: Final Four
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 09:22:30 am »

As a fellow midwest chemistry grad student, Mic has my garnered my support!
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 09:39:17 am »

Mic is an enigma to me, if he wins, I hope we get a 2 page interview. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:08 am »

Losers Bracket is down to the Final Four as well... Do we get interviews? >_>

If you like, sure, though I think it'd be limited to just being posted on the forum.  I've already squashed poor WW's articles (which are excellent, btw!) enough this week.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 10:29:52 am »

I was mostly joking, but I sent out the questions to the others anyway. I'll post them up if they get back to me.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 07:26:15 pm »
+19

Mic Qsenoch wins 4-1 over Obi Wan Bonogi

Game 1 - http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/24/game-20130124-150835-1c5cbba8.html
Apothecary, Festival, Harvest, Haven, Highway, Noble Brigand, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Remake, Saboteur, and Trader

We both go for Remake into Highway/Festival. I pick up a second Remake while he gets a Noble Brigand, which probably costs him this game. The attack is actually helpful to my deck after I've purchased my first Highway or two since I don't want silvers anymore anyway. Giving me Coppers doesn't hurt so bad because of Remake also. I win the Highway split 8-2 so he resigns.

Game 2 - http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/24/game-20130124-151604-c557cc22.html
Bazaar, Develop, Familiar, Fortune Teller, Library, Lookout, Potion, Silk Road, Trading Post, Venture, and Walled Village

He opens Potion/Fortune Teller while I try Silver/Lookout. I'm hoping to get enough trashing from Lookout and Trading Post to ignore the Curses and transition into greening sooner than he can. I am able to trash all of my Coppers which is nice for Venture, I don't get to trash as many Curses as I'd like (although his Fortune Teller helps me out a bit in that regard). This one is very close, but I get some nice hands at the end to overcome the Curses with a 5-3 Province split. I'm not sure how good my plan is in general, but it worked out barely.

Game 3 - http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/24/game-20130124-153229-281d4081.html
Bank, Bishop, Fairgrounds, Fortune Teller, Horn of Plenty, Jester, Nomad Camp, Potion, Spice Merchant, Vineyard, and Woodcutter

So this board didn't have any standout cards so I thought it would be hard to get 8 Provinces easily, making 6 VP Fairgrounds a real possibility. I get plenty of Jesters early, mainly because I can't seem to get $6, but they should be helpful with a long game and possibly assist the Fairgrounds. He gets a big early lead on Provinces, but I take 6 of the Fairgrounds, and eventually give him a lot of Curses with Jester. This slows him down enough for me to take the lead and then I have a couple of lucky hands at the end for Provinces to close it out. My weird buy in here is the Potion/Vineyards. It's two unique cards, and with 9 action cards a Potion in hand is as good as $5 once the Duchy dancing starts. Of course I don't actually have 9 action cards (whoops), but it didn't seem to hurt me too much. This was a weird game overall, and I'm not sure if I played this well or got lucky.

Game 4 - http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/24/game-20130124-153805-bce68031.html
Baron, Gardens, Goons, Haggler, Ironworks, Margrave, Menagerie, Nobles, Secret Chamber, and Thief

Ironworks/Gardens rush mirror. We split the Gardens and I get more estates, but he gets a Nobles and correctly picks up Barons on some turns where I incorrectly get Silvers or something. He pulls ahead with Duchies and then I can't pick up Barons because of three-piling. He wins. I do wonder if something with Goons could beat the Gardens player, but uncontested Ironworks/Gardens goes really fast.

Game 5 - http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/24/game-20130124-154536-79db9ea7.html
Apothecary, Explorer, Forge, Ill-Gotten Gains, Library, Potion, Salvager, Talisman, Throne Room, Tournament, and Watchtower

This is another messy kind of game. 5/2 on an IGG board. Salvager looks good. We don't really go for the IGG rush (I am afraid of his Watchtower). I was pretty lucky to win a couple Tournaments. I only played the Followers twice, and once he had Watchtower. But the Duchy was nice. I have luck with Salvager at the end to win this one, because you can see by my final deck contents that I was not in a position to be buying Provinces.

Several of these boards were one card away from having decent engines. A lot of them needed villages, trashing, or +buy. I think if those things had been present you'd see a very different match result, as Obi Wan is much better than me at those kinds of games. I also got some lucky breaks as well. Thanks for the match Obi Wan Bonogi!

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 08:04:28 pm »
+8

A bunch of ugly games from me.  Youre right I blundered game 1.  I still cant believe I lost game 2 honestly.  I spent the rest of the match thinking about this game.  I was thinking something was off with my midgame but looking back now the biggest mistake I made was once you get silver with 4 and show me youre not going familiar I should have went silver and played it safe.  Fortune teller was a dud early and often and I had some rough collisions.  Still couldn't believe I lost the game though and it kind of put me on tilt. 

Game 3 fortune teller is also a dud and my turns 3/4 are $4/$4 compared to your 5/3, its not that I didn't want Jester early it just didn't work out that way.   

Theory just asked me what my least favorite cards were and my answers were IGG and Tournament so it's very fitting that they show up on the board in which I am eliminated.  Overall I had nothing going for me in this match, I played poorly first and foremost, the boards we played didn't fit my strengths, and I got a bit unlucky.  To top that off I was playing against a very strong player who played well. 

Congrats MQ.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »

Noooooo...
Obi Wan, you took my spot in the tournament without winning?!

Oh well. You came closer than I probably would have.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 08:43:08 pm »

Were these matches recorded by any chance?

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 09:05:05 pm »
+18

Were these matches recorded by any chance?

I did not record them but if you would like some subtitles while reading the game logs I'd be more than happy to provide.  It went something like this:

"Fuck, Fuck, ok, that was dumb, fuck, FUCK!, this board is lame, fuck, dammit, okay that was definitely dumb, dammit, this board is dumb, fuck, I didnt even see that! dammit, dammit, I hate that card, fuck, sigh."

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 01:11:14 am »
+3

Congrats MicQ. Good luck in the final. America is counting on you.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 03:32:46 am »
+1

gl, Mic!
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 04:22:18 am »

Nah, forget America, it's the chemists counting on you (unless I move on, then they don't care, so you Anerican guys may take over)..

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 05:25:13 am »
+7

Congratulations, Mic Qsenoch. Reading through the logs it looks like you really deserved it. Well done.

I first noticed f.ds about a year ago, during the previous version of this tournament. The first posts I read on dominionstrategy.com were about the final entries to the Kingdom Design Contest. I was really impressed and I considered it a very cool way to finish a tournament. But hey, it was so unfair, only available to two players, people at least 15 levels above me. I did know at least part of those 15 levels had to do with my unfamiliarity with the cards, but still...

Now I'm only 1 match away of actually playing those kingdoms so carefully designed by so many players. lespeutere and I will be playing that match tomorrow. I really hope I'll be joining you. I know it's possible, but I'm also very aware it could go either way. 70% votes for me is a nice boost in confidence, but I think people overestimate the differences in the top, or at least how they affect win%.

And then there's this really weird psychological factor which is hard to catch in math. I know I can play pretty well on most days, but once in a while I have a day where I lose 2/3 of my matches to just about everyone. And I'm not talking about streaks of bad luck, because honestly dominion isn't that much about luck when you play several games. It's just some weird thought process that climbs into my head, removes all constructive thinking and keeps me stuck in criticizing past decisions while making new mistakes over and again. Although I don't like the swearing, the nature of Obi Wan's comments sound very familiar to me on one of those days. So now I'm hoping tomorrow isn't one for me ;)
Join the Dominion League!

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 07:11:45 am »
+1

Ohne Holland, fahr'n wir zur WM!

(english translation (kinda): go lespeutere!)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 07:15:17 am »
+1

Schade Deutschland alles ist vorbei? :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 07:17:04 am »

Funny thing is, when I saw there was a new post, I didn't really read the poster's name but just overlooked it quickly and in my mind it was not "def" but "-Stef-".  :D

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 07:23:46 am »

If this were really about football (and I mean the game in which you actually play a ball with your foot, not the other one where carry some oval thing around in your hand), the final - no matter what the semifinal result will be - would be sort of like a walk in the park. ;)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:03 am »
+2

If this were really about football (and I mean the game in which you actually play a ball with your foot, not the other one where carry some oval thing around in your hand), the final - no matter what the semifinal result will be - would be sort of like a walk in the park. ;)
... only if it would be the men's WM ...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:09 am »

Nah, forget America, it's the chemists counting on you (unless I move on, then they don't care, so you Anerican guys may take over)..

Wait, is Mic yet another chemist?  Crazy.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:21 am »
+3

Once in a while, a look at the blog is worth the time. ;-) Hidden between the WanderingWinder's brilliant articles on fundamental deck types there are interviews of the final four participants.
And there he says he is.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2013, 11:12:16 am »
+3

Once in a while, a look at the blog is worth the time. ;-) Hidden between the WanderingWinder's brilliant articles on fundamental deck types there are interviews of the final four participants.
And there he says he is.

There's a blog now?

:p
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2013, 11:17:55 am »
+3

DS : f.ds :: RL Dominion : Online Dominion

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 11:18:48 am »
+1

There's a blog now?

OH some years ago: "Do you know that Kelly Osbourne's father now also starts making music?"

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2013, 11:19:26 am »

Apparently Michael Jackson is dead?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2013, 11:20:19 am »
+1

Apparently Michael Jackson is dead?
Someone should install a mod for spoilers...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 24 queries.