Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The longest game  (Read 1684 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
The longest game
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:51:41 pm »

This is definitely the longest game I've ever played. 

Code: [Select]
qmech wins!
All Provinces are gone.

cards in supply: Black Market, Bureaucrat, Colony, Militia, Minion, Mountebank, Outpost, Pirate Ship, Platinum, Royal Seal, Torturer, and Wharf
Default card selection was used.
----------------------

#1 qmech: 74 points (6 Colonies, 2 Provinces, a Duchy, 3 Estates, and 4 Curses); 43 turns
       opening: Silver / Militia
       [62 cards] 5 Militias, 3 Wharves, 2 Minions, 2 Mountebanks, 11 Coppers, 7 Silvers, 8 Golds, 8 Platinums, 3 Estates, 1 Duchy, 2 Provinces, 6 Colonies, 4 Curses

#2 hirotashi: 69 points (6 Provinces, 6 Duchies, 11 Estates, a Colony, and 6 Curses); 42 turns
           opening: Silver / Militia
           [62 cards] 3 Militias, 2 Mountebanks, 1 Minion, 13 Coppers, 8 Silvers, 5 Golds, 11 Estates, 6 Duchies, 6 Provinces, 1 Colony, 6 Curses

I must have had a tremendous run of luck towards with the end with my opponent's draws.

It became clear pretty early that I needed to focus on Colonies to have a chance of winning.  This leads to what is surely the most over-developed Treasure selection I've ever had.

What sort of long games have you had?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: The longest game
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »
+1

Here are two examples of 48-turn games, as well as another monster entirely.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:22:23 pm »
+1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/21/game-20130121-121816-18488d33.html
39 turns, although he was very luckier than me and I wanted to end it as soon as possible !
5/2 opening for me, I took minion, he took scheme and didn't seem so embarassed ! He gave me the last curse before I could play my first familliar. Although I should have taken those duchesses, because I didn't have lots of terminals... !
And I did what I usually do when I see myself losing : I accelerate the end of the game to prevent him from having goals on councilroom. It's bad ? Maybe, but sometimes... here, he got "only" 53, so 7 below the Peer-line !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:02:14 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/21/game-20130121-121816-18488d33.html
39 turns, although he was very luckier than me and I wanted to end it as soon as possible !
5/2 opening for me, I took minion, he took scheme and didn't seem so embarassed ! He gave me the last curse before I could play my first familliar.

Getting on the wrong end of the Familiars in a 39 turn game is never going to end well.  I'm not sure what I think about an opening Scheme; you stand an extra chance of missing Familiar, but if it hits you're going to rapidly get into cursing in a big way.

5/2 is always tricky when Familiar looks important.

A couple of unsolicited comments on your buys: turn 11 is very late for a Potion (you usually want it early if you want Familiars), and the turn 20 Minion might have been better as a Vault, to get some benefit from all your junk.

Eww, I've just seen that you were also being Possessed (I missed it at first because they Expanded the evidence before the game ended).  Commiserations.

And I did what I usually do when I see myself losing : I accelerate the end of the game to prevent him from having goals on councilroom. It's bad ? Maybe, but sometimes... here, he got "only" 53, so 7 below the Peer-line !

That's a new one for me!

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:32:06 am »
+1

Yeah, in CB's game, I definitely open Duchess-Potion.  It actually is slightly more likely of hitting 3P than Silver-Potion, and a terminal action shouldn't hurt.  That, or open Vault and hope to just accept all the curses and just green early.  But there is very little chance of that working.
A man on a mission.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 20 queries.