Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First beats the Colony Golden Deck with... Hoard?  (Read 924 times)

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
First beats the Colony Golden Deck with... Hoard?
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:48:29 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/18/game-20130118-174531-58e83752.html

The final decks will tell you everything you need to know:

#1 First: 62 points (5 Colonies and 2 Provinces); 16 turns
       opening: Remake / Chapel
       [21 cards] 2 Hoards, 1 Envoy, 3 Silvers, 8 Golds, 2 Provinces, 5 Colonies

#2 ycz6: 51 points (35 ▼, a Colony, and a Province); 16 turns
      opening: Remake / Chapel
      [5 cards] 1 Bishop, 1 Silver, 1 Platinum, 1 Province, 1 Colony

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: First beats the Colony Golden Deck with... Hoard?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »

I'm not surprised. Ramping up the Golden Deck to Colonies takes an extra turn or two, and only nets you one extra point per turn in "steady state". The Hoard player gets 4 more points for a Colony than a Province, and is getting a steady influx of Gold which is pretty good at keeping the deck afloat. With the trashing, he can arrange that most of the treasure he pulls is Gold or Hoard (and every treasure is worth at least $2), which mitigates the weakness of Envoy.

I'm also not convinced that Remake/Chapel is any better than opening Bishop/Chapel directly. Maybe it gets you the first couple Silvers a little quicker on average, but then you have to get rid of the Remake later, and you miss a couple points early.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: First beats the Colony Golden Deck with... Hoard?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:26:23 am »

I have not much experience with the Golden Deck. Like zahlman said, the Province Golden Deck is 1-2 turns faster than the Colony one and gives not that many points less.
Then maybe he would have stalled faster if he had to try to empty the Colonies on his own. I'm not sure.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 20 queries.