Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: worst veto luck / just spam Highways  (Read 3168 times)

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
worst veto luck / just spam Highways
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:22:14 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/18/game-20130118-141659-8d3cff3f.html

$5 cost cards before veto: Bazaar, Embassy, Highway, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mint
$5 cost cards after: Bazaar, Embassy, Highway, Mint
$2 cost cards before veto: Fool's Gold
$2 cost cards after: none

(ycz6's first hand: 5 Coppers.)
(King's Skort's first hand: 4 Coppers and an Estate.)

Sigh.

As for the actual game, I go for a Highway/Expand engine powered by Village/Embassy with Warehouse, which, because my opponent doesn't fight for the Highways, works! Sort of. I actually eventually run out of Coppers to Expand into Colonies.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: worst veto luck / just spam Highways
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:33:29 pm »
+1

I actually eventually run out of Coppers to Expand into Colonies.

I hate it when that happens.

Too bad you didn't have Cache.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:58:16 pm »

That's what Mint's for ;-/

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:19:48 pm »

What do you mean "veto luck"?

I will never understand people who veto random. Okay, if you want to be GGG and give the other guy an advantage, fine (and if the other guy is me, I'm taking it). But if both people are doing it, then you wasted time confirming that you want a random selection of 10 out of 12, that were randomly selected from a couple hundred, instead of just randomly selecting 10 in the first place.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:10:47 pm »

I will never understand people who veto random. Okay, if you want to be GGG and give the other guy an advantage, fine (and if the other guy is me, I'm taking it). But if both people are doing it, then you wasted time confirming that you want a random selection of 10 out of 12, that were randomly selected from a couple hundred, instead of just randomly selecting 10 in the first place.

He didn't know he was going to have a 5/2 split. That's the bad luck.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:49:59 pm »

What if you don't have strong feelings, and you get automatched against someone else who doesn't have strong feelings, and it tells you to play veto mode?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:13:31 am »
+1

Playing veto also locks you into a game before anyone sees the cards and has a chance to back out of a set they don't like.

I don't do that, and normally if I get thrown into veto mode I try and make a strategic decision.  Sometimes though there's little between the various choices, so I hit random—invariably to discover that actually, no, I really did want to keep that card.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:53:58 pm »

I vetoed IGG because I didn't feel like playing an IGG game. Of course I am actually talking about  my draw luck here, the veto aspect is purely psychological.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:25:29 pm »
+1

I will never understand people who veto random.
I don't want to avoid any cards because I want to learn to use all of them. On the other hand, I don't want to limit the set of my possible opponents too much. If I played with strict no veto mode, I'd probably also have to play with level+-15 instead of +-10 or wait longer to get a game from automatch. So I prefer to allow those who like veto to use it and I just veto random so that I don't waste time thinking what to veto.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:01:37 pm »

I don't want to avoid any cards because I want to learn to use all of them. On the other hand, I don't want to limit the set of my possible opponents too much. If I played with strict no veto mode, I'd probably also have to play with level+-15 instead of +-10 or wait longer to get a game from automatch. So I prefer to allow those who like veto to use it and I just veto random so that I don't waste time thinking what to veto.

I typically play 2-player, no veto, level +-5 and I get someone fairly quickly almost every time. However, I am at level 28. I don't know what level you are or how many players are in your +-5 range.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 03:46:43 am »

I am level 20, but I play with points counter, so I guess this is what takes out some of my possible opponents.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 07:31:36 am »
+1

I typically play 2-player, no veto, level +-5 and I get someone fairly quickly almost every time. However, I am at level 28. I don't know what level you are or how many players are in your +-5 range.
And annoyingly often I can't get anyone on +/-20, but first world problems, eh?

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:32 am »
+6

I am willing to win some games against you so that you drop into a level regime where you find more people more often.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »

Two cards I object to: Tournament and Black Market. On automatch I'll just suck it up and DWI if I have to play with one of those cards, but if I'm playing with an IRL friend, we'll play in veto mode just to ensure we won't get those other cards. If I see neither, I will veto random. Usually he does the same.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 20 queries.