Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Losing the Province split  (Read 2075 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Losing the Province split
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:02:51 pm »

How do you go about playing a game in which you are planning on coming back from losing the Province split? (I'm contrasting this plan with a desperation Duchy-dance: think Marin rather than oh-crap.) If there are no alt-VP, you need all of the Duchies and 2 Provinces to come back; you need 6 Duchies and 3 Provinces vs. 5 Provinces and 2 Duchies. How do you make that happen? Do you rely on your opponent's deck to stall while you double Duchy, then go for the Provinces to seal the deal?

Obviously this depends on the board, but I'm curious how players like Marin manage to green later, while behind on the Provinces, and still pull out the win.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Losing the Province split
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »

You really want to have some source of +buy or some alternative way of gaining cards.  Remodel, Expand, or Graverobber; Tournament, Altar, Count, or Rebuild;  Forge, Upgrade, or Remake.  Remodeling or Processioning a Hunting Grounds is nice. 

I remember a classic game being posted once in which Marin bought Caches and Expanded the Coppers ultimately into Dukes and Duchies.
Well you *do* need a signature...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

You'd usually want to get more than 2 Duchies per turn if you're counting on coming back with 8 or 6 Duchies...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:26:42 pm »
+4

An important step is to realize that when you're 5-1 down that you shouldn't be in a hurry to buy the penultimate Province. You need to get it eventually or you'll lose, sure, but more important right now is winning the Duchy split if you want any chance of winning. If you buy the Province first, that could have been a Duchy. You're just sealing your own fate if you let your opponent grab too much Duchies.

Maybe you also don't want to focus on Estates too much yet. Sure your opponent will be trying to crawl over the hill, but the first step is the Duchies. Lose that split and it's all over.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »

Like they said, getting in some Duchies and building an engine that buys up a lot of green on its last turn. Yesterday, I played such a game where my opponent had 5 Provnices, and I had none. I did get some Duchies in though. Then, the next turn, I pretty much bought out almost all the green that was left and won.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:35:57 pm »
+2

You do it with Horn of Plenty. So you're down 6 Provinces to nothing? So what?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:19 pm »

You do it with Horn of Plenty. So you're down 6 Provinces to nothing? So what?

#t=00m25s

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:56:00 pm »

You don't want to put off the Provinces too long, though. At minimum you want to get 1 Province when you start greening if there's no other alt VP on the board, because Provinces get progressively more difficult to pick up when you have a lot of Duchies, and if your opponent picks up the 7th Province, you've lost anyway.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »
+1

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20130117-015918-5d5ecadd.html

A game I played recently and managed to win after falling behind in Provinces. I got a bit lucky and there were Nobles to help me as well. But I had less green to stall on in comparison to useful cards, and with an engine available I think that's about the only thing that can help you overcome an unfavourable Province split outside of luck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.