Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator now also runs from the web  (Read 13602 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator now also runs from the web
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:40:43 am »

The fastest, completest, user friendliest and let's be honest, prettiest Dominion Simulator is now just one click away!

Click here!

I also updated my web page with all the play rules and revised a lot of the code so it simulates better than ever. And for those sim fanatics I added an "Ultimate Simulation" button that will run 100,000 games. For more info:
http://dominionsimulator.wordpress.com/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator now also runs from the web
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:07:20 am »

Let the Simulator-wars begin!

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:47 pm »

Can someone write a simulator which simulates a few hundred thousand iterations of Geronimoo's simulator and Dominiate being used by members of this forum, so we can once-and-for-all solve the question of which simulator is better?  ;)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37:16 pm »

Do you mean better (will play your cards cleverly once you have set up purchasing rules) or better (can set up better purchasing rules) or better (lets you customize more aspects of play)?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:30:52 pm »

Can someone write a simulator which simulates a few hundred thousand iterations of Geronimoo's simulator and Dominiate being used by members of this forum, so we can once-and-for-all solve the question of which simulator is better?  ;)
I'd rather see them join forces and compare their AIs, so both simulators will be even better.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

Heh, <3 competition.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:02:23 am »

Geronimo, could you explain if there are currently any situations where the play priority is re-evaluated according to cards in hand or state of play. I'll suggest that a good next step for the Geronimo simulator would be to keep a baseline card 'play priority' but also give some cards a temporary priority when evaluating the hand.

For instance the steward has three action choices and each should probably have a different play priority. I'm assuming the current logic is:

Look for top priority card
Play steward
Choose steward action
Execute chosen steward action

This could be improved as :

Choose steward action and assign steward priority
Look for top priority card
Play Steward
Execute chosen steward action

-------------------------------------

Another improvement could by a dynamic changing (or branching) of the discard priority. This appears to be more situational but would yield bigger improvements in card play for the situations where it would apply. The typical case it needs to solve would be when an opponent plays followers, the simulator player has {curse, curse, remake, silver, copper} in hand and discards the curses. The current play rules make vaults and followers especially powerful.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

Could you give an example for Steward? Because I don't see what you're getting at.

The discarding is indeed a problem. I could make Curse's discard priority number dynamic so it first looks in player's hand if there's a trasher and adjusts its own discard priority number accordingly.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:16:28 pm »

Aha, I've just check menagerie and it already has:
  • If player has no duplicate cards in hand, play priority is put at maximum
  • If there are duplicates and we have more than 1 action left, put play priority at the lowest
I'm suggesting that many more cards could improve with a similar priority evaluation. A steward will have different priority of play depending on whether there is a meaningful trashing action, it is drawing cards, or whether it is played for coin.

{swindler, curse, curse, steward, copper} - play steward (trash curses)
{swindler, silver, silver, steward, copper} - play swindler
{swindler, silver, estate, steward, fishing village} - play fishing village, play steward (draw cards), play swindler
{smithy, silver, estate, steward, fishing village} - play fishing village, play smithy (draw cards), play steward
{swindler, silver, estate, steward, festival} - play festival, play swindler, play steward (+2$)

Trade route would be another example card where the priority will vary dramatically based not only on the supply but the hand contents as well.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:18:41 pm by DG »

boloni

• Steward
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

Where can I download the current version of the simulator? I don't have a java-plugin in my browsers and I'd also like to use the simulator offline.

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:48 pm »

Java webstart doesn't require you to have a browser plugin installed. If you follow the link to the jnlp file, you should be able to launch that directly.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:12:31 am »

Some quick suggestions for card play changes. Mining village shouldn't trash when tactician is in hand. Mining Village should have a comparatively late play priority so that the 'trash for coins' decision has better information (so play it after treasuries). The workshop should have a lower priority,  lower than fortune teller and cutpurse, probably lower than mine.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 10:32:30 am »

Some quick suggestions for card play changes. Mining village shouldn't trash when tactician is in hand. Mining Village should have a comparatively late play priority so that the 'trash for coins' decision has better information (so play it after treasuries). The workshop should have a lower priority,  lower than fortune teller and cutpurse, probably lower than mine.
I added your suggestions for the next release.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 11:34:05 am »

I hate to bring up this topic now, but my computer will not let me open this application because of security reasons. How can I make an exception for this application?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 02:42:25 pm »

I had trouble with that too and without knowing Java it took me a while to sort it out. Go into the java control panel (through start-control panel-programs-java). On the security tab, I put the general setting as high and added an exception site http://users.telenet.be. When you run the Java you can now confirm that you want to run the simulator even though it hasn't a certificate.

Someone who really knows this stuff may be able to give you a better solution.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 02:47:50 pm »

I apologize for resurrecting a dead thread. Anyways, any way to get the Dark Ages cards on too?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.