Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Name and shame ragequitters/slowplayers  (Read 4353 times)

poozle

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Name and shame ragequitters/slowplayers
« on: January 17, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »

Just to show that this bad behavior is not limited to nobodies:
Got an early province lead in a tournament game with Yariv (lvl.41ish?).
He leaves me waiting for the timeout.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Name and shame ragequitters/slowplayers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:00:30 pm »
+7

In these cases with decent players I think you give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that something came up IRL or they had internet problems rather than trying to publicly shame them.

poozle

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:03:38 pm »

In these cases with decent players I think you give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that something came up IRL or they had internet problems rather than trying to publicly shame them.

Yeah right.. something so urgent they can't type 'brb', just after losing the tournament race?
I'm sure.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:06:03 pm »
+7

poozle

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »

Yeah right.. something so urgent they can't type 'brb', just after losing the tournament race?
I'm sure.

Get real.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:11:33 pm »
+4

Jimmmmm's right. I'll play a game out if possible but I've had plenty of games where I just got disconnected b/c of crappy connections. it happens.

Also, don't be a troll to J.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:12:37 pm by Brando Commando »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:01 pm »
+5

poozle, you're making yourself look like the fool.
Well you *do* need a signature...

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »
+5

And even if not. We're all having a bad day once in a while. Playing dominion at lvl 40+ doesn't make you a robot.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:17:07 pm »
+5

Dude, chill. Have a look at who you're talking about:

It is the first time I encountered this as a problem, but it can be quite annoying and maybe something can be done (although I don't see what). In a game I played with JLock he announced on his 15th turn that he will deliberately play slowly because "I could and the game and I have a huge lead". Now, he was right that I could do it in my last two turns up to this moment (despite what I said in chat, I was mistaken), and I would have done so if I knew him to wish the game to end without resigning (though I see no reason not to resign). This was our conversation around this point:
yariv: hey, you there?
JLock: yep
yariv: ok
JLock: i'm just going to take 2 minutes between moves because
yariv: because?
JLock: you could have ended the game at any point in the last 10 minutes and didn't
yariv: how?
JLock: even though you had a huge lead
JLock: three tunnels
yariv: I didn't have the buys
JLock: you could have you had at least three buys each of the last two turns
yariv: well, enjoy
JLock: or could have easily
yariv: or resign, if you prefer
yariv: but in the future I recommend to suggest such a move to your opponent if you wish him to take it
yariv: and now I'm going to the forums, see if something can be done regarding such behaviour
Now, of course I waited and played when my turn arrived, then won as he resigned, but this can be extremely time consuming if he had an engine going, and during this time I can't even open another game on a different tab (unless doing something special), so it is quite annoying.

so, what can be done, if anything, regarding such behaviour? I would definitely try to remember not to play against him, but I might forget. will it be possible to implement an ignore-list in isotropic? do you find it reasonable?

I don't think there is a practical way to handle stalling beyond what is already implemented and that won't punish some types of play over others. I was only looking for a personal ignore-list...

Regarding the problem of ending the game, I agree that ending when possible is the proper action, and usually try to do so. However, if I feel that my strategy works well I'm not going to search for ways to finish the game, I'll continue buying my colonies (and buying multiple colonies every turn is hardly stalling the game). If you wish the game to end, and you see a way for this to happen, and you don't want to resign for some reason, it's up to you to ask your opponent to do so. If the opponent clearly saw the game ending and still didn't go for it (stopped gaining cards of a type he gained many before, so as not to empty the pile), only then you might have a reason to be offended.

I think it's far more likely that it was a disconnection or something of the like, and I think it's very poor form to publicly shame someone when you really have no idea what happened.

poozle

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 02:17:57 pm »

And even if not. We're all having a bad day once in a while. Playing dominion at lvl 40+ doesn't make you a robot.
Thank you. It was obviously a ragequit, you assholes just need to admit being a good player doesn't make you perfect.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »
+3

I'm sure.
i dont see any tournaments, i just see an explorer

Get real.

poozle

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 02:20:30 pm »

I'm sure.
i dont see any tournaments, i just see an explorer

Get real.

Oh, ok, maybe my terrible purchase disgusted him so much he passed out. If you don't believe me about the tournament you are welcome to find the log on councilroom.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 02:21:23 pm »
+12

Assume good faith.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.