Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stables, Minion, Consiprator, Ironworks, Herbalist, PStone???  (Read 1518 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
Stables, Minion, Consiprator, Ironworks, Herbalist, PStone???
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:46 pm »

The dudeabides and I played this interesting setup with Conspirator, Embassy, Fairgrounds, Fool's Gold, Herbalist, Ironworks, Minion, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Stables, and Thief.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/16/game-20130116-181931-f2870872.html

We both just stared at the kingdom for a while turn one pondering what the best direction would be.  There's Herbalist/PStone, but that'd get rocked pretty hard by minion.  Then there's Conspirator, with herbalist as the only plus buy.  But I don't think either of us were certain whether Minion or Stables were the better enabler for that. 

I ended up getting a Stables stack with Conspirator support and ignored Ironworks and Minion entirely.  I think the way dude tried to recover with Fairgrounds was a good idea.  How do you have played it?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Stables, Minion, Consiprator, Ironworks, Herbalist, PStone???
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:51:08 am »
+2

My initial impression is that Minion is a better Conspirator enabler. The reason I think this is because in the head-to-head matchup, Stables risks drawing totally dead turns as a result of Minion's attack. If you draw 3 other Action or Victory cards with a Stables, you have to forfeit a turn.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:42:49 am »
+1

My initial impression is that Minion is a better Conspirator enabler. The reason I think this is because in the head-to-head matchup, Stables risks drawing totally dead turns as a result of Minion's attack. If you draw 3 other Action or Victory cards with a Stables, you have to forfeit a turn.
Same impression here. On the other hand, stables are better suited for drawing your entire deck as with minions you will always also use them to discard and all the junk (no trashing here, except thief  ::)) will be in your discard pile and you won't be able to use these copper $.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 03:47:47 am »

High risk, high reward then with the stables vs the minions? That's sort of the reasoning I had.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 07:33:19 pm »

This was a very interesting game indeed.  I feel like you left "Fool's Gold" out of the title to the post though.  I considered going Fool's Gold with Herbalist to enhance it, but Minion scared me. 

The bad luck I had on turns 12, 13, and 14 is laughable, which likely demonstrates the benefits of Minion over Stables (high risk) and the danger of "winning" the Conspirators battle.  Axxle's 2-Province turn 11 demonstrates the potential benefits (high return) of Stables vs. Minions.

I went Ironworks opening to win the Conspirators, enable Conspirators by gaining an action card with Ironworks, get free cards to pump up Fairgrounds in the endgame, or have the option to get free Fool's Gold if I go that route. 

The Minion makes the Herbalist/PStone or Herbalist/Fool's Gold strategy dangerous.  Returning a PStone to the deck just to have it Minioned away reduces one of the main benefits of that strategy.
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 07:52:29 pm »
+1

I think those Stables really tied Axxle's deck together, man.

(I couldn't resist.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.