Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's in the Black Market?  (Read 1533 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
What's in the Black Market?
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:21:10 am »

How do you decide when to go for Black Market? I can immediately think of three questions: what is in the BM that isn't on the normal board (e.g., cursing, trashing); how many worthwhile cards are in the BM, and whether there's competition for the BM itself in terms of $3 cards or terminals. But, I have no idea how to weigh these things. I've seen Youtubers play a strategy based around getting the Goons out of the BM and I've seen BM decks fall apart because they couldn't get any of three villages out of the BM.

So - if you are good with BM, how do you evaluate the BM deck part of the card (as opposed to just playing BM as a terminal Silver)?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: What's in the Black Market?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:44:48 am »

Basically the 3 ocassions I pointed out in my Black Market summary.

1.) There's a weak board in general where you have to play basically BMU.
2.) Strong attacks in the BM where getting even one of them can or will be important: Goons, Cursers, but also Tournament for example to get Followers. Trashers aren't that imporant because you will probably get them too late.
3.) There's Fairgrounds, Tactician, King's Court or maybe Menagerie on the board, cards that synergize well with Black Market.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:53:10 am »
+1

Any Engine will benefit from Black Market.  There are a few reasons for this. 

1.)  If you have a working engine, you'll in theory have actions to spare to play your Black Markets

2.)  If you have a working engine, you'll in theory have enough cash to get whatever you want from the Black Market.

3.)  If you have a working engine, you'll in theory have enough draw to play newly bought cards on the turn you buy them.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:24:00 pm »

Any Engine will benefit from Black Market.  There are a few reasons for this. 

1.)  If you have a working engine, you'll in theory have actions to spare to play your Black Markets

2.)  If you have a working engine, you'll in theory have enough cash to get whatever you want from the Black Market.

3.)  If you have a working engine, you'll in theory have enough draw to play newly bought cards on the turn you buy them.

4.) If you have a working engine, you'll in theory have enough cycling to play Black Market every turn, possibly multiple times, giving you more chances to find good cards.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:36:18 pm »

There's almost always something good in the Black Market. You don't even really need to know what's in there to decide whether or not you're going for it. The things you want to look for are:

1. An engine where you can cycle fast enough that you can get enough plays of your Black Market cards
2. There's no way for your opponent to just win really fast.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:00:07 pm »

Black Market has a whole host of unique interactions, mainly through playing treasures during your action phase, but I guess that's not what you're after. So I think it's easier to look at the reasons not to buy a black market since as someone else said, there's usually something good in the market deck.

- the kingdom is weak and has few defenses, making attacks and defense via the black market more viable
- existing terminals will dominate the kingdom
- key cards need to be bought from the kingdom repeatedly (minion, hunting party)
- it's too difficult to provide actions for terminals from the black market
- black market cards will arrive in your deck too late and be played too few times to be effective
- you can't play the black market often enough to get the right cards at the right times
- you can't guarantee good spending hands when playing the black market, losing the opportunity to buy good cards

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.