Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Feedback on games  (Read 25909 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on games
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 07:42:54 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/07/game-20130207-163756-de320069.html

This probably was both poor play on my part and him starting 5/2 with torturer on the board.  I first was going to try a native village/torturer engine, but he got it set up long before I did.  After getting the trusty steed (I decided not to get followers because the curses were going down anyway) I started going for BM.  It still didn't work too well.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »

I don't like your Trusty Steed plays. If you are going purely money after winning the Tournament, you should not take +2 actions unless you have another terminal in your hand. +$2 and +2 cards are both stronger. Additionally, you should have used the 4 Silvers option again on turn 12 and really tried to hit the Duchies hard afterwards, maybe taking another 4 Silvers if you had the chance.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2013, 11:35:25 pm »

Yeah, I don't really know the strategy behind that card that well.  I've only recently started playing with it, and I think that was my second time having it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2013, 07:09:26 am »

I'm not entirely convinced that you want to be simply buying a lot of torturers and native villages here, but if you do then you shouldn't open with native village/caravan. This leaves you struggling for a 5 coin hand to buy the first torturer.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 07:31:09 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/11/game-20130211-162628-f1ad4065.html

I originally was thinking of something with the torturer, but when he opened 5/2 I realized I had to do something else.  I saw hamlet and menagerie and remembered how I've been thinking about how well they go together.  I started going for that engine, and I started getting colonies (while he was getting provinces).  I realized there was only two hamlets and curses and only one menagerie left so I three-piled the game and won.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 09:44:47 pm »

If your opponent starts with hamlets, mountebanks, and library/menagerie then you might be in horrible trouble and your bishop would make it worse. The net result of you playing a bishop and your opponent playing a mountebank is awful. I think your final deck has all the right stuff in though.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2013, 03:34:37 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/12/game-20130212-123243-5e2fe5bf.html

Despite colonies and platinums, I still went for wharf-BM.  I got a salvager, that might have not been a good idea (especially getting it turn 4 instead of earlier).  He did the same thing (but got the salvager earlier) and got five colonies while I got three.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2013, 05:18:01 pm »

There's no reason to delay salvager like you did. It's worth just as much money as a silver (when it collides with estate). And it's not like you bought a 3$ terminal.  And, while wharf is good getting to it in turn 3/4 is not as mandatory as the other pwer 5 attack cards out there (mountebank and witch).

A mistake was buying the colony/dutchy on your last turn.  That should have been 2 provinces.  But I guess you were already pretty far behind at that point. And he could end the game any time he got his salvager.

The platinum on turn 17 was also a bad call. Better to get a province and get the point total closer

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2013, 05:30:29 pm »

Since you're going to want to mostly be playing Wharf every turn, you really have no chance to play Salvager. It turns out you played it exactly once. Wharf BM really doesn't like other terminals. Also, you probably want to get a second Wharf before Gold since it's really important to just get the deck cycling going. And you needed to start buying Colonies sooner. You're not really trying to build up to really big turns, so just buy Colonies when you can. You definitely don't need 3 Plats first. One is plenty. Maybe 2. You can add more when you fall short of $11.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:30 pm »

I dunno, I'd still open with salv. It's too useful in games like this to end the game when you're up. But I usually concentrate on money over wharves and pray for few collisions.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »

^So you're willing to keep that dead Salvager in your deck the whole game just to hopefully play it on the last turn to get an extra Duchy or something? Doesn't seem worth it. If you're going to get one, maybe do it with a spare $4 on an extra buy in the late game.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2013, 06:44:59 pm »

Simulator suggests taking a salvager 55-45.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2013, 06:48:19 pm »

Simulator suggests taking a salvager 55-45.

If Salvager connects with an Estate, then you don't have any extra dead cards (though you are missing the Silver you could have gotten instead).  If you can use it to get rid of a second Estate, that's probably a net positive.  And then it gives some extra utility at times.  Seems close though!

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/12/game-20130212-185822-e93b3f00.html

That...  Was probably the craziest game I've ever played.  My strategy was to clutter up my deck but have a few king's courts, possessions, and bishops and use my opponents deck to get everything (I realized I didn't need the spies).  We multiple times forgot about things (playing a tactitician on a possessed turn, playing a bishop on a possessed turn, etc.).  We both had no idea who was winning and I ended up winning.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2013, 04:21:43 pm »

If you go salvager, and they don't It's really easy to win the duchy dancing (or in this case, province dancing war.) Once it get's down to 2 colonies left, and people keep buying provinces instead. You just salvage a colony and buy a colony for the win.  Or salvage a platinum and buy 2 provinces letting you safely buy colony next turn.  It's not quite as good in colony games because it's hard to get salv+colony+11$.  But especially in wharf games starting with 7 card hands, salvager gives you the ability to end the game on your terms like no other card.  And yes, it will often be a dead card throughout the midgame. But if you buy it first turn, and wharf/money for your next 4 turns, it will probably hit twice.  And I'd take salvager (trashed estate) (trashed copper/estate) over silver - estate - copper in my deck.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2013, 04:32:54 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/12/game-20130212-185822-e93b3f00.html

That...  Was probably the craziest game I've ever played.  My strategy was to clutter up my deck but have a few king's courts, possessions, and bishops and use my opponents deck to get everything (I realized I didn't need the spies).  We multiple times forgot about things (playing a tactitician on a possessed turn, playing a bishop on a possessed turn, etc.).  We both had no idea who was winning and I ended up winning.

Could have used more Kings courts, and just gone crazy with the bishops and possessions.  I would have skipped the second potion, or bishopped it asap

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2013, 09:22:55 pm »

I guess this thread will just die now...  I'm not having too many plans to play on goko (this is not the place to discuss that), and with isotropic going down I won't be able to play on there.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.