Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Favorite non-Dominon Game Tournament (Through the Ages!)  (Read 86211 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3, Matches 49-56
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2013, 05:58:27 pm »

7 Wonders
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Stone Age
Race for the Galaxy
Kingdom Builder
The Settlers of Catan
Power Grid
Agricola
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite non-Dominon Game Tournament (Round 3, Matches 49-56)
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2013, 06:09:14 pm »

7 Wonders
Stone Age
Hearts
Kingdom Builder
The Settlers of Catan
Power Grid
Terra Mystica

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2013, 06:12:31 pm »

7 Wonders
Puerto Rico
Pass
Hearts
Kingdom Builder
Alhambra
Pandemic
Agricola

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2013, 06:52:29 pm »

7 Wonders
Pass
Hearts
Galaxy Trucker
Alhambra
Pandemic
Pass
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2013, 06:54:06 pm »

7 Wonders
pass
pass
Hearts
pass
Settlers of Catan
pass
pass

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2013, 07:00:14 pm »

Match 49
7 Wonders
Mafia/Werewolf

I find this comparison difficult, but interesting... Mafia is a former favourite, but I've gone off of it more and more recently. 7 Wonders I've done the opposite, come to like more and more as time goes on. It's simple, but has tactical and strategic depth, and is a lot of fun to play with various numbers. Mafia I've played a lot, and I still feel it comes down mostly to guesswork almost always. F2F it can be fun in the right group, and online it's really impossible to get a good read without sinking huge amounts of time.

Match 50
Puerto Rico

TtA has quickly propelled itself up to being one of my favourite games. Puerto Rico I've played a few times, and it's okay, but not a game I really want to play much.

Match 51
Stone Age
Dungeon Lords

Not played either.

Match 52
Hearts
Race for the Galaxy

I don't like RftG. I feel like maybe I should give it another go now, though, perhaps... eh.

Match 53
Galaxy Trucker
Kingdom Builder

Kingdom Builder does look good, but Galaxy Trucker man! Probably the best real time game I've played, and a lot of fun as long as you don't object to your ship falling apart a lot.

Match 54
Alhambra
The Settlers of Catan

Not a Settlers fan. Alhambra seems okay.

Match 55
Power Grid
Pandemic

Tough choice... the iconic Co-op against a real unique and impressive game. Pandemic wins it for me, I think... primarily because it's incredible with the expansion.

Match 56
Terra Mystica
Agricola

Hmm... I haven't played enough Agricola to really judge how much I like it, and Terra Mystica didn't really appeal to me. Had to pass.

Am I correct in thinking these are the only 16 games still in?
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #281 on: March 06, 2013, 07:18:20 pm »

Yep, these are the final 16.

Since we'll be down to fewer matches in the next three rounds, I'll be adding some bonus matchups...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2013, 07:19:44 pm »

Since we'll be down to fewer matches in the next three rounds, I'll be adding some bonus matchups...

Request: Hearts vs. Spades

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2013, 07:38:23 pm »

Mafia/Werewolf
Puerto Rico
Pass   
Race for the Galaxy
Galaxy Trucker
Pass
Power Grid
Agricola

Match 49:
Again FOS on anyone who votes against Mafia.
Match 50:
Puerto Rico is easier to teach someone in person, and honestly it's one of my favourites and probably always will be. TTA is really fun, but I think of it more as a computer game than a board game.
Match 52:
I don't dislike Hearts, but given the choice I can't imagine ever wanting to play it over RftG.
Match 53:
Kingdom Builder has a neat concept, but Galaxy Trucker how it incorporates time and puzzles is pretty brilliant and incredibly entertaining.   
Match 55:
Oh man tough choice, but Power Grid is slightly more elegant in executing its themes. Imho anyways.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:47 pm »

Co-request Diamonds vs. Clubs  ::)?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »

7 Wonders
Puerto Rico
pass
Race for the Galaxy
Kingdom Builder
The Settlers of Catan
Power Grid
Agricola

I'm glad we are getting into "I have played IRL almost every game in every match" territory.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2013, 07:54:38 pm »

I don't think I've given reasons for anything before, and it won't be so interesting because most of mine are passes, but...

Match 49
7 Wonders
Mafia/Werewolf

7 Wonders is an easy choice for me.  I would call this my absolute favourite game right now.  IRL it is quick and can fit in many people.  The learning curve is not steep, but there is certainly some skill involved.

I enjoy Mafia, but the reward-to-effort ratio is not as strong.  In real life, it feels a bit random to me.  I mean, it can come down to reading people physically, so there's that.  But I don't like it as much.  I prefer online Mafia, but THAT game is a different beast and requires a LOT of effort, IMO.

Match 50
Puerto Rico

I haven't played TtA.  I've played Puerto Rico once and I somehow won, even though I felt I was behind for most of the game.  Basically I never had any money but managed to start producing lots of Indigo and ship it repeatedly.  Probably the other players didn't have much more of a clue than I did, though most had played it before.

But this was a pass.

Match 51
Stone Age
Dungeon Lords

Haven't played either.

Match 52
Hearts
Race for the Galaxy

I haven't played RftG but I know of it.  I really enjoy Hearts, enough to vote it over a game I haven't tried.  I kind of expect RftG to pull through in the end anyway, although early votes seem to favour Hearts.

Match 53
Galaxy Trucker
Kingdom Builder

Haven't played either, so pass here as well.  From what I know of the games, I imagine I would prefer Galaxy Trucker for the unique experience.

Match 54
Alhambra
The Settlers of Catan

Haven't played Alhambra but Settlers still has a hold of me.  Still love it.

Match 55
Power Grid
Pandemic

Passed on this... I played each of these once, and in both games we messed it up a bit.

In Power Grid, one of our players had to leave early on.  We continued without resetting, which really upset the balance because of the extra space left by the missing player.  It allowed me and another player to race ahead, building lots of cities for relatively cheap.

In Pandemic, we decided to play with 5 players even though it was only meant for 4 (IIRC).  We didn't stand a chance.

Match 56
Terra Mystica
Agricola

I have not played either of these either, so another pass.  I own Agricola though!  I just haven't had a chance to try it out.  I hope that impulse buy will turn out to be a good one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2013, 07:56:11 pm »

Co-request Diamonds vs. Clubs  ::)?

When I was in high school (I think), I made up a Diamonds game.  I cannot remember how it went, and though a group of us planned to, I never got to try it out.

As for Clubs, there is this.  I don't think it will hold up.  It's not even really a trick-taking game.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:49 pm »

7 wonders
pass on the rest

(I really like 7 wonders now and srsly soured on mafia)
(Can I even vote? I haven't been following this thread at all and don't know the rules, I just happened to check in to see that contest)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 06, 2013, 10:56:26 pm »

Mafia
-
-
Hearts
-
-
-
-

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:08 pm »

7 Wonders
Puerto Rico
Pass
Hearts
Pass
Settlers of Catan
Pandemic
Agricola

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2013, 11:50:48 pm »

7 Wonders (can't really put forward the argument that you can play this with 7 here; but hey, you can play it with 3!)

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (never played Puerto Rico I must admit but I am willing to vote TtA all the way to the finals, now that Go is gone)

pass (haven't played either; Stone Age is available at our local library, I should try it out)

- (haven't played RftG, but Hearts does not hold that special a place in my spades)

- (haven't played either)

Alhambra (only because I play it more often and you can play it with a varying number of people)

Power Grid (haven't played Pandemic but cooperative games are not so hot with me)

- (an Uwe vs Uwe duel! haven't played Agricola but I tend to think I'd find it brilliant)

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:37 pm »

Match 49
7 Wonders
Mafia/Werewolf

7 Wonders is probably my favorite game right now. It’s so much fun, so quick, and easy to play. It gets major points from me for being easier to get to the table than anything else.

Mafia is fun, although I’ve only played it online, and not FtF. Copying what Tables said above, the reward-to-effort ratio is not great. I often walk away from a game promising to never do it again, even if it was fun, just due to the large time commitment.

7 Wonders gets the vote here.

Match 50
Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is really fun, and although I’ve only gotten to play it ~5 times, I’ve really enjoyed playing it, especially as everyone I’ve played with has gotten better with each play. It just seems like every game, we’re learning constantly, getting better, and to me it’s a really intriguing game.

I actually played my first game of TtA this afternoon – it was only the short version, but I still enjoyed it, and I can see that it has a lot of depth and strategy to it. Right now, it’s still behind PR, but I could see it passing it very soon. 

Match 51
Stone Age
Dungeon Lords

Haven't played either.

Match 52
Hearts
Race for the Galaxy

Never played RftG, but heard great things. However, Hearts is one of my favorite games, and I grew up playing it and lost count of how many games I’ve played. Definitely hearts here, and I really hope it pulls through.

Match 53
Galaxy Trucker
Kingdom Builder

Have not played either game.

Match 54
Alhambra
The Settlers of Catan

Alhambra looks very cool, I have not played it but I’ve wanted to try. However, Catan is one of the games that got me interested in buying other games, and I still play it semi-frequently with my non-gaming friends, so it gets the vote here.

Match 55
Power Grid
Pandemic

Haven’t played Power Grid. Pandemic is awesome, though!

Match 56
Terra Mystica
Agricola

Have not played Terra Mystica, but Agricola’s really fun, and I have been looking forward to playing it again since the last time I played it.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:13 am »

Mafia/Werewolf
Puerto Rico
pass   
Hearts
Kingdom Builder
The Settlers of Catan
pass
Agricola
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3, Matches 49-56
« Reply #294 on: March 07, 2013, 04:05:00 am »

7 Wonders
Stone Age
Race for the Galaxy
Pass
The Settlers of Catan
Pandemic
Terra Mystica

The Settlers of Catan vs. Alhambra match was tough. I like playing both of them. This was basically a coin flip

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2013, 04:05:28 am »

Gonna give my reasons this time because I can...

Match 49
7 Wonders
Mafia/Werewolf

7 Wonders is a whole lot of fun for the 30 mins it takes. And it can play up to 7 (8) without adding additional playtime. Mafia is fun, but only when you can devote a week or two of your life (I've only ever played online) to a game, and more and more I can't do that. Mafia also gets longer and longer with extra players, and don't get me started on player elimination...

Match 50
Puerto Rico

After Dominion (and all of its expansions) Tta is my other 10 on BGG. I've only been playing for a month or two, but in that time I've played 10 or so games and each game I'm enjoying more and more. If BGG would let me rate a game more than 10 this would be leaving even Dominion in its dust... There, I said it. Banish me from f.DS. It was worth it.

Match 51
Stone Age
Dungeon Lords

Never played Lords but I've seen reviews and it kind of looks more complex than it needs to be for what it is. Stone Age, on the other hand, is an excellent light Worker Placement and WP is probably my all time favourite single mechanic.

Match 52
Hearts
Race for the Galaxy

I must say, I'm surprised at how many Hearts votes there have been. I voted for it because I nominated it but I fully expected a one sided match in RFTG's favour here when I saw the match list. I don't dislike RFTG. It's just one of the games I tell myself "This is totally my type of game... if I could play enough to get my head around what the hell is going on" (see Glory to Rome for another game in this category). Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to get those extra plays. I'd rather play something else that I already understand and enjoy.

Match 53
Galaxy Trucker
Kingdom Builder

Never played Galaxy Trucker, but I've played time pressure games (Space Alert, Escape the Cursed Temple) before and they just didn't do it for me. At all. Kingdom Builder is simple and fun. It has wooden bits and is very colourful. It has "Donald X Vaccarino" on the box.

Match 54
Alhambra
The Settlers of Catan

When I saw Alhambra played on TableTop I thought "Wow. What a fun little game!" I couldn't wait to get to play it. Then I played it. Maybe it was just a bad experience, but it just felt like I was completely screwed by luck of the draw and it sucked all of the fun out for me. Everytime it was my turn there were no buildings I wanted (or could afford) to buy. Every time I did get to buy something (whether I wanted it or not) it seemed that I immediately turned over exactly what the next person wanted at a price they could pay exact change for. Settlers gets my vote because it's at least an average game.

Match 55
Power Grid
Pandemic

I am not a fan of co-operative games. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one, but I'll always turn them down if there's something else available (and sometimes I'll sit out even when there's not another game I can join). It's made worse by the fact that Pandemic, Forbidden Island and Flash Point are all essentially the same game, meaning that the co-op fans ask me to join them 3 times as often. Yes, it's the "one person plays and everyone else does what they're told" thing. Even when the "leader" is me I don't enjoy it, because I feel that I'm playing a solo game and ruining the fun for the others. I figured the time pressure co-ops would solve this issue so I gave the two I mentioned earlier a go, but as I said before, they have their own issues and at this point I'm pretty sure there's no co-op that I'd enjoy. Power grid isn't my favourite game, but it's solid and well designed. The club I play at also owns a bajillion maps for the game so it's not going to get samey too quickly either.

Match 56
Terra Mystica
Agricola

Agricola is such a good game. I mentioned my love for Worker Placement earlier and I'm not sure if there's a game that does it better than Agricola. 've never played Terra Mystica. I voted for Terra Mystica. What's going on here? Basically, I've watched pretty much every Terra Mystica video I can find and read the rules and it looks like it could be my third 10. Haven't watched the PBFs here because I just can't get my head around the spreadsheets. I need to see the actual boards. I'm just waiting for someone at my club to pick up a copy then I'll be playing this on a weekly basis for at least a month or two. I'm all about mechanics and I just love some of the mechanics in this game. I love the way unbuilt buildings cover up potential income on your player board and you have to build them to uncover and receive it (yeah, I know this is functionally equivalent to "each X you have built produces Y each turn", but the uncoverings this is just so much cooler). And then there's the power bowls. Whoever came up with that is a genius. And I haven't even started on the variety in this game...

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2013, 04:10:16 am »

> Haven't watched the PBFs here because I just can't get my head around the spreadsheets.

There's an interface they use over there in BGG PBF which looks more like a board. The spreadsheet board of square hexes designed by Watno works surprisingly well for me though.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2013, 09:08:14 am »

7 Wonders
Stone Age
Race for the Galaxy
Galaxy Trucker
Kingdom Builder
Alhambra
Power Grid
Terra Mystica

@TINAS: I assume you're refering to the player boards regarding PBF? The map came out quite good I think.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:49 am »

Yeah, mostly. I do prefer a hex map made out of hexes rather than squares though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2013, 11:12:48 am »

Finally! A round where I can vote in each and every match. I feel like my whole life has been building up to this. Well, maybe the past couple of weeks.

7 Wonders
Dungeon Lords
Race for the Galaxy
Galaxy Trucker
Alhambra
Power Grid
Terra Mystica

I find it interesting that three of Chvatil's games are in this round. And I voted for all three of them. I'm such a fanboy.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.