Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Getting a Gold with bad luck  (Read 2623 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Getting a Gold with bad luck
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:00 am »
+2

So this was mentioned in another thread:
You could open Silver/Silver and not be able to buy a Gold even after 7 turns (I expect the exact upper bound has probably been worked in the Puzzles/Challenges subforum, but it's easy enough to picture the shuffling in my head to get to at least 7).

I don't think it actually has been worked here, so... given a worst-luck scenario, what's the latest turn on which you could hit $6, playing pure BM? So you will buy Silver with $3, and you "win" when you have $6 in hand. Also, you have the option to buy Copper with less than $3 if it would actually help you reach $6 (but I'm 99% sure that this is never the right move given the other constraints). Assume a 3/4 opening.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Gold with bad luck
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:58:56 am »
+2

Recycling the program to find worst case to 8 Provinces for Big Money ([Edit: All the fame are belong to blueblimp )

result = 11

Path:
CCVVV[] CCCCC[Silver]
CCVVV[] CCCCC[Silver] S
SCVVV[Silver] CCCCC[Silver] SC
SCCCV[Silver] SCCCV[Silver] SSCV
SSCVV[Silver] CCCCV[Silver] SSSCC[G]

2  5  2  5  3  5  5  5  5  4  8

Edit: Copper is hard-coded to 7 there, so can't buy it that easy, but I doubt that it will help, because it will just get absorbed in some CCCCC state...

Edit2: Arghh, assume a 3/4 opening...

result = 9

Path:
CCCVV[Silver] CCCCV[Silver]
CCVVV[] CCCCC[Silver] SS
SSVVV[Silver] CCCCC[Silver] SCC
SCCVV[Silver] CCCCV[Silver] SSSSC[G]

3 4 2  5  4  5  4  4  9
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:08:39 am by DStu »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:51:03 pm »

Never, your opponent plays Thiefs/Noble Brigands on you

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:03:54 pm »

New constraint: solitaire game, or no Attacks/interactive cards being played by opponent :P
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 02:05:05 pm »

Buy Chapel, trash all coppers and any other money that comes up?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:29 pm »

Can you be indefinitely prevented from making $5 after a 4/3 opening that way, though, I wonder?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:24:28 am »

Can you be indefinitely prevented from making $5 after a 4/3 opening that way, though, I wonder?

Well, obviously not with NB... since it can't steal Coppers, then no matter how bad your luck is, you'll eventually draw 5 Coppers; assuming that you actually buy Coppers given the chance.

With Thief, absolutely. Assume that your opponent plays 2 Thiefs every turn... should be possible if we assume that worst luck for you includes best luck for your opponent. He can trash down to Village + Thief + Thief. While your bad luck is still preventing you from hitting $5 even without the opponent hurting you, he has time to do that. So then you quickly get to a game state where you have nothing in your deck but 3x Estate.

Ok, now I'm wondering... in a board without any virtual money, could a player do such a thing, thus forcing a stalemate?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

hyramgraff

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:30:34 pm »

Well, obviously not with NB... since it can't steal Coppers, then no matter how bad your luck is, you'll eventually draw 5 Coppers; assuming that you actually buy Coppers given the chance.

With Thief, absolutely. Assume that your opponent plays 2 Thiefs every turn... should be possible if we assume that worst luck for you includes best luck for your opponent. He can trash down to Village + Thief + Thief. While your bad luck is still preventing you from hitting $5 even without the opponent hurting you, he has time to do that. So then you quickly get to a game state where you have nothing in your deck but 3x Estate.

Ok, now I'm wondering... in a board without any virtual money, could a player do such a thing, thus forcing a stalemate?

Thief can't hit cards in your hand.  Without a hand size reducing attack you would be guarantied to keep at least two coppers in your "deck", which you would then draw at the end of the cleanup.  With perfect bad luck, the stalemate happens after you buy the last copper and one estate at which point you will be seven estates away from a three-pile ending.

Boldot

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:59:01 pm »

Thief can't hit cards in your hand.  Without a hand size reducing attack you would be guarantied to keep at least two coppers in your "deck", which you would then draw at the end of the cleanup.  With perfect bad luck, the stalemate happens after you buy the last copper and one estate at which point you will be seven estates away from a three-pile ending.

Well, if you're going with player interaction, couldn't you just add curses to the mix, so you could theoretically end up with a deck of just estates/curses?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.607 seconds with 21 queries.