Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What Networking Option to choose to connect my Media Player  (Read 716 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
What Networking Option to choose to connect my Media Player
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:29:59 am »

Okay guys, I have some networking questions.

This might not be the best place to ask these questions, but you seem like a knowledgeable bunch and there may be some among you with experience. In any case, I think you are a good user base to start.

Here's the thing.

I have a media player near my TV in my living room, it's an AC Ryan PlayOn HD Mini (original 1st version), which is based on a Realtek chip.
My wireless router is in the closet where all the power lines come into my home, they're about 5 meters apart as the crow flies (hope he doesn't in our home). The router is a Linksys WRT320N capable of 300Mbit which my laptop sometimes gets when I sit on the couch (not far from the TV).

In our previous appartment my router was near the TV so I could just hook up the media player through Ethernet. Alas, this is no longer the case.

I've purchased a fairly reasonable Wireless dongle for the media player, but the results are less than stellar. Even with Wireless-N the movies skip all the time. I guess this is because the AC Ryan doesn't buffer very well and the wifi is of course prone to interference especially since it's close to other electrical devices.

I really don't like the idea of taking an Ethernet cable from the closet to my TV, it would look awful and be a lot of work. I'd have to go behind and underneath all sorts of stuff.

So I've seen several options on which I ask your opinion:

- Powerline adapters: Our house has only been built this year so the wiring is probably very suitable for this; the router and media player are on different electrical groups though.
- Ethernet over Coax: I just read that this was an option. As there is a coax outlet for the TV already there this might be possible.
- Wireless Bridge: I don't think this will solve my problem, but if it can give a stable output, it might be good?

Anyway, do you guys have any experience with these techniques and if so, were they positive or negative? What would you choose, other than taking that 10 meter Ethernet cable all around the house?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.