Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I don't even know where to begin.  (Read 983 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: I don't even know where to begin.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »

I think you both missed the best opening which is probably salvager/oasis. Then get oasis/worker's village/market with 3,4,5 and start picking up peddlers.  The salvager gives the +buy you want, just like WV, but it also thins a card from your deck. And the oasis is better than silver because it is an action which reduces peddler cost, can be picked up by poos and KC'd, and it cycles. You probably want to pick up a potion after a few turns and then the rest of the game should be clear - get KC and salvage those peddlers while generating a ton of income from KC/market/festival/oasis, using pools for the draw. You can also pick up a pair of lighthouses to alternate protection once you get going.

Anyway, I think the early game is critical here. You really want to get some peddlers pretty quick and then that sort of just snowballs so there's no point in getting silver ever.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: I don't even know where to begin.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:12:02 pm »
+1

Well, I'll try to analyze this board and see what I can come up with before looking at your game, and document my thoughts here so you can try to compare with what you were thinking, since your cry for help was so general...

"cards in supply: Festival, Forge, King's Court, Lighthouse, Market, Oasis, Peddler, Potion, Salvager, Scrying Pool, and Worker's Village"

Well, there's trashing, lots of cantrip money and +Buy, and KC and Scrying Pool. Massive engine incoming!

There's Salvager+Peddler! Great.

The question is which engine to build and what to do with it. Is there even enough time to get Scrying Pools? Or is this just going to end up being a cantrip engine with KC-cantrip for card draw? Because Salvager+Peddler can end the game in a friggin hurry if you let one person pick up 7 peddlers or something while you're putzing around with Scrying Pools that don't draw your deck yet and don't give +buy.

I say aim to win the peddler split and win the engine race off of that. So open Salvager/Oasis. Salvager gives +Buy, oasis gives cycling and is an action which lowers the cost of peddler. Buy no treasures; every treasure you buy is an extra card which harms you in picking up massive peddlers early, and all the various actions around give as much coin as silver really. Ideally you'd get Salvager-CCCE on the first shuffle to get a market and then like an oasis or a workers village on the next turn. Two markets would be great, or collide your two actions and get a peddler? 

I'd guess Salvager is a bit better than WV here. Trashing is nice, and early on it's estate-trashing so gives you cash.

Then what. Keep trashing with salvager, pick up peddlers/oases/workers villages/markets when possible. Once the peddler split is finalized, by that time you should be generating enough cash to pick up KCs... yeah, I'm not seeing a time to pick up SPs here. Aim for buying the cantrips instead of the nondrawing actions. By the time the peddlers are gone, you should be playing a bunch of cantrips, salvaging a peddler for massive money, and there's no time to pick up a potion and start overdrawing your deck with SP. Because that potion just sucks. And if you detour for the potion, you'll lose the peddler split badly against someone who doesn't, and you'll miss out on salvaging peddlers because you won't have them.

If all goes according to plan, speed through the endgame with KC+Salvager, eating up your peddlers, markets, whatever you have left, eating up your provinces for more provinces.

...ok, how did it actually play out, looking at your game now. IMO you did not go for the peddlers hard enough. The silver didn't help get them, I would have suggested an oasis. WV instead of salvager - reasonable, I suppose. ...and a t4 potion. ...which you didn't even use the first time you drew it, because you drew it with $7 and bought a forge.

Your opponent bought  4 peddlers on turn 10, AND already had a pretty nice Scrying Pool engine. That was the game right there. If you'd gone for the peddlers hardcore, you could have had 7 of them by that point. As it was, you never got to salvage a peddler at all.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.