Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's the right play here? Alchemists or not?  (Read 923 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
What's the right play here? Alchemists or not?
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:14:21 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/13/game-20130113-081159-b4a9db24.html

I opened Smuggler/Bishop after my opponent opened 5/2 and picked up a Bazaar.  Eventually my opponent went Potion to buy Alchemists, and I didn't follow him.

I feel like I was playing catch up all game, and never managed to.  What should I have done differently?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: What's the right play here? Alchemists or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:34:38 pm »

I really don't like the bishop/smuggler opening here. What catches my eye in this kingdom is the margrave/bank combination, either within some drawing engine or just as a draw+treasure deck. Opening with the bishop just makes that deck easier for an opponent. You're going to want a margrave yourself eventually so that means at least three terminals in your deck, creating an excessive need for bazaars. The smuggler could be useful or a complete washout, depending how the decks are built, so it makes sense to wait a few turns before buying one.

Let's go through a list of other general reasons not to start smuggler/bishop
- the risk of terminal collision isn't going to go away since the bishop is trashing cards and keeping the deck small
- smugglers might gain you more terminals that will clash even more
- you are unlikely to get a vital 5 coin hand
- the collision draw will be really bad for spending with the bishop only providing 1 coin
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.