Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Counter: Library vs. Bishop  (Read 4302 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Counter: Library vs. Bishop
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »
+10

If you're fighting opponents that are using early-game Bishops to trash their Estates and Coppers, you want to use the free trashing they're giving you to improve your deck to the point where you can make up for their VP-chip lead with extra Provinces or Colonies. Usually that means you're building an engine. With Library on the board, there's no need.

Library is a powerful Militia counter because you can discard your two worst cards and draw better ones to replace them. Similarly, an opponent's Bishop lowers your handsize by allowing you to trash a bad card from your hand, which is even better for you. Trashing Estates to your opponent's Bishop is usually a no-brainer, but normally when you trash a Copper you're sacrificing $1 of coin this turn. Not so if you have a Library in hand. Odds are you'll draw something better in its place.

It's hard to overemphasize the tempo boost that this gives you. If you're playing against an opponent with Bishops, I recommend about 3 Libraries. You'll be buying Gold and Platinums with incredible speed and zoom to a quick victory while your opponents struggle to build up their decks. As long as you stick to buying only the most expensive Victory card on the board, you should be able to grab 8 of them before stalling out.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:21:52 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Counter: Library vs. Bishop
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:20:40 pm »

We haven't had a counter article on the site for about two years, so I thought I'd whip this up. It's a really clear-cut counter that doesn't occur to a lot of players. I tried to keep it short and sweet, like the existing counter articles on the front page. Let me know if there's anything I should change. (Also, theory, let me know if you're just no longer in the market for articles about counters.)

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:23:34 pm »
+1

Watchtower should work well also, shouldn't it? With the added advantage that you can get some plenty early for the first rounds of bishopping. Being able to skip duplicate libraries is a nice touch you'd lose with watchtower though.
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »

Watchtower should work well also, shouldn't it? With the added advantage that you can get some plenty early for the first rounds of bishopping. Being able to skip duplicate libraries is a nice touch you'd lose with watchtower though.

Watchtower should work similarly. I just used Library for the article since I believe it's a bit superior. You can't draw one dead, etc. Also, you probably want to buy a few Silver early on and it doesn't take long to reliably hit $5 and $6 once you've played a few Libraries.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:39:31 am »
+1

Put this on the wiki.  I've been looking for more counters to add, and I like the subtlety of this one.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 02:23:18 am »
+2

Jack is quite a nice opener vs Bishop, for the same reason.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:33:21 am »
+4

Jack is quite a nice opener vs Bishop, for the same reason.

Especially since your opponent's Bishop can trash the Coppers your Jack can't.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.