Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 249643 times)

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2011, 11:28:57 am »

I hope we all agree that when playing Dominion online, you never complain about your opponent's luck. That conversation goes nowhere good, especially in a pseudonymous, emotionless chat box. It makes you look bad no matter how innocently you meant it.

If someone brings it up casually, I'll point that out. And next time I run into someone who's clearly being hostile about my luck, I'm going to try replying with a generous assumption about why they're complaining:

"Oh, I'm sorry! I should have warned you this game has luck in it. I thought you had played Dominion before."

Of course the flipside of this is that there doesn't seem to be much reason to get offended if somebody points out that you've been lucky, because there's a very good chance that you actually were. It's pretty rare that somebody tells me that I was lucky and I disagree with them. And given that you've mentioned that whining about luck makes you look bad (which I'll agree, it almost always looks whiny) I can't say that passive aggressive responses of this sort make you look good either.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2011, 12:27:03 pm »

Actually I find that almost always, when someone complains that I'm lucky, they've played the game wrong (especially true when I've bought a light trasher like lookout or trade route - yes, my scrying pools draw more cards than yours on average- who knew? cool silvers, by the way). At any rate, even when I am lucky, I don't want to hear it. The classy thing to do is tell your opponent outright if you think you're getting extraordinarily lucky. Of course we all think we're lucky less often than we are, but...

Flip-side: if you actually DO get lucky and your opponent whines about it, it can be fun to find some infinitesimal difference between how you played and how your opponent did and argue against all evidence that this is the key reason that you are winning.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »

I came here to vent my frustrations about this game in particular: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/02/game-20110902-224843-e88df382.html.

After turn 12, this happens:

22:45 ddubois: nice luck fag
22:46 perdhapley: is that really necessary?
22:46 ddubois: no your rfucking luck is not necessaery

...And then, well, you can see the log. At the end of the game he immediately returned to the lobby. I don't believe I played this game particularly well or anything, but I certainly wasn't the only lucky one.

It really bums me out to see such unprovoked attacks, however rare they may be. Isotropic is such a friendly place most of the time that I never know how to deal with these kind of people when I encounter them.

This guy is the only culprit I've actually had to deal with in the past month of being extremely uncivil. He acted similarly when I won a Minion split 6-4, claiming he played better but I was just lucky, then resigning.

biopower

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 04, 2011, 02:24:18 am »

There's a guy called "Plenty of Horny" who continually comes online only to challenge spam everybody in the room (checks everyone, proposes game with, continues ad infinitum just to troll). Is there some way to deal with people like him?

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #229 on: September 04, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »

A person called 'duh minion' is usually insulting when i play him:

Me: Nice Watchtower defense  ( it was good, i was serious )
Him: Nice buying a province every turn
Me: Thanks
Him: lucky bastard
Me: what?
Him: you heard me.
Me: but how am i getting lucky?
Him: 'cause ( obviously he couldn't back it up )

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2011, 05:21:26 pm »

There's a guy called "Plenty of Horny" who continually comes online only to challenge spam everybody in the room (checks everyone, proposes game with, continues ad infinitum just to troll). Is there some way to deal with people like him?

Ha I've been in the lobby when he's done that, there's almost always a few people who call him out. The only defense against that, I think, is to have auto match checked and swat his proposal away until a real one comes or to quickly propose a game with whoever else has quickly rejected his before he can do it again.

I'd be curious to know his reasoning behind doing that, he's registered and lvl 16-ish, and I don't get why you'd consistently troll everyone like that when you actually want to play games..

The Adventurer

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 04, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »

I hope we all agree that when playing Dominion online, you never complain about your opponent's luck. That conversation goes nowhere good, especially in a pseudonymous, emotionless chat box. It makes you look bad no matter how innocently you meant it.

If someone brings it up casually, I'll point that out. And next time I run into someone who's clearly being hostile about my luck, I'm going to try replying with a generous assumption about why they're complaining:

"Oh, I'm sorry! I should have warned you this game has luck in it. I thought you had played Dominion before."

Of course the flipside of this is that there doesn't seem to be much reason to get offended if somebody points out that you've been lucky, because there's a very good chance that you actually were. It's pretty rare that somebody tells me that I was lucky and I disagree with them. And given that you've mentioned that whining about luck makes you look bad (which I'll agree, it almost always looks whiny) I can't say that passive aggressive responses of this sort make you look good either.

The reason to be offended by it is because it depossesses you of any skill or good play you might've put into a game and puts it all on luck. It is offensive for the reason that it insults the person on the receiving end as being unskilled, idiotic, and though, yes, some read too much into it, when it is followed by a classy "bastard" or "f***er", I'm pretty sure that it's never innocent...

So it's a sore loser thing to do. And 3 ppl did that to me today. So yea: decline of civility, maybe...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2011, 09:32:46 pm »

It is annoying when people say you've been lucky when in fact you've managed the possible draws a bit better. Quite often though Dominion players like to analyse the game and see where it's going wrong. Some even like to share that insight with their fellow players. You can give people a little leeway if they're just getting frustrated "I drew four walled villages last turn and now four torturers this turn without a village!". Better they type out some anger than throw the monitor out of the window.

Just to cheer people up, look at my lucky draws today! http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/04/game-20110904-175353-c1b43dc5.html

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2011, 01:04:34 am »

Just to cheer people up, look at my lucky draws today! http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/04/game-20110904-175353-c1b43dc5.html

Sometimes Dominion is like a walk in the park...

CTMorling

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2011, 07:10:25 pm »

There's something about the tracking of rank and "skill level" that totally changes the dynamic of resigning for me. I've played other online games where opponents resigning really annoys me -- at least when the game isn't a total lock -- but as soon as a rating is introduced I change my opinion. When there's no consequence for winning or losing, resigning strikes me as rude, but when my opponents' resignations mean that I get to steal a few hundredths of a rating point from them, I love it when they rage-quit.

This despite the fact that those ratings points don't really matter.

biopower

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »

There's something about the tracking of rank and "skill level" that totally changes the dynamic of resigning for me. I've played other online games where opponents resigning really annoys me -- at least when the game isn't a total lock -- but as soon as a rating is introduced I change my opinion. When there's no consequence for winning or losing, resigning strikes me as rude, but when my opponents' resignations mean that I get to steal a few hundredths of a rating point from them, I love it when they rage-quit.

This despite the fact that those ratings points don't really matter.

What do you mean epeen isn't everything? :P

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2011, 02:37:01 pm »

I'm being an Internet Tough Guy (tm) since I don't even play Isotropic that often, but I would be tempted to respond with, "Sorry, I'm a newbie. I started playing this game after they introduced luck."

I'd find it satisfyingly passive-aggressive, and it might just confound the other person enough to make him shut up.

And who knows? Maybe it'll give him a chuckle, and all is right in the world. Okay, probably not.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2011, 02:44:08 pm »

I'm being an Internet Tough Guy (tm) since I don't even play Isotropic that often, but I would be tempted to respond with, "Sorry, I'm a newbie. I started playing this game after they introduced luck."

I'd find it satisfyingly passive-aggressive, and it might just confound the other person enough to make him shut up.

And who knows? Maybe it'll give him a chuckle, and all is right in the world. Okay, probably not.

Yeah, people really complained about the lack of luck for like the first four months, and they added it in with like Patch 1.5, after which of course people QQd about the luck.  Of course luck is still unbalanced, except for Druids; ours is fine.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »

I only complain about luck when it happens before my opponent has possibly made any intelligent decisions to earn it.  Like, 2/5 Mountebank hamlet with no trash, etc.  Am I allowed that?

I'm not ridiculous about it..

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 13, 2011, 07:43:28 pm »

A gentleman by the name of "poo" decided that my play in the final turn of this game warranted these comments:

"Your so fucking lucky"
"Fuck you"

To which there is only one thing that can be said:

Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »

AFAIK, we could just blend all of the your, your's, and you're together and have a language that is basically not one bit more ambiguous, so who really cares?

I think the right answer to the "you are fucking lucky" problem should be an mandatory offer of a money based best of 9 bet.  If you accuse someone of being lucky, they have the chance of taking you up for a $50 best of 9.  I think people would learn really quickly to stop accusing others of being lucky, unless they want to con some poor schmo into losing $50 ;).

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »

Gambling on Dominion would be fun, but:

- the leaderboard ruins any honest action with a real edge
- as an e-penis measuring contest, the sample sizes that people will assent to are way too small to prove anything.

Just challenging them to a rematch should be fine. If you think you weren't lucky and you manfully outskilled them, then keep taking their points.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2011, 12:35:30 am »

21:21 tlloyd: good luck!
21:21 ddubois: hi
21:21 ddubois: ty
21:26 ddubois: I wish I coudl cast vill eveyr turn
21:26 tlloyd: ?
21:26 ddubois: like you
21:27 tlloyd: cast vill? I don't know what you mean.
21:29 tlloyd: we both seem to get lots of villages one turn and lots of wharves the next
21:29 ddubois: oh shut up
21:30 tlloyd: why are you so rude? it's just a game, man
21:31 ddubois has returned to the lobby.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2011, 05:08:23 am »
+1

Here's my really (not) exciting story:

The other day I had a veto game and my opponent vetoed Sea Hag (the only curser). I opened Black Market and soon pulled a Mountebank out and obviously bought it. My opponent told me "your homo" and resigned. I wanted to ask him what had happened with my homo but alas, he had already returned to the lobby =[

Dave970

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 17, 2011, 05:01:42 pm »

Here's another guy: oaishdoiahsda

Real brilliant conversationalist.

matiez

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2011, 11:52:42 am »

I haven't had the above experiences on Iso. Though, there are times were I am the above guy (Sab my only province 3 times in a row, and I'm not too happy, lol).

One thing I have noticed, though, is the lack of humanity on Isotropic. Over the last 10 games I've played, over half the people didn't say a single word. And then when the game is over, they immediately return to the lobby. What is the point of playing dominion if I'm not allowed to talk about the game that just happened?!?

The biggest reason I play dominion online is to improve my skills for multiplayer on my home set. I enjoy being beat by high-lvl opponents, especially when they explain what happened during the game. Instead, I keep getting Automatched with people who don't have personalities. It's like I'm playing an AI.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2011, 12:08:46 pm »

The biggest reason I play dominion online is to improve my skills for multiplayer on my home set. I enjoy being beat by high-lvl opponents, especially when they explain what happened during the game. Instead, I keep getting Automatched with people who don't have personalities. It's like I'm playing an AI.

I can count the number of lower ranked players who have asked my advice after/during a game on one hand. Maybe this is why they aren't better? I would just tell them, but I don't want to beat them over the head with it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »

I haven't had the above experiences on Iso. Though, there are times were I am the above guy (Sab my only province 3 times in a row, and I'm not too happy, lol).

One thing I have noticed, though, is the lack of humanity on Isotropic. Over the last 10 games I've played, over half the people didn't say a single word. And then when the game is over, they immediately return to the lobby. What is the point of playing dominion if I'm not allowed to talk about the game that just happened?!?

I'm mostly just playing a lot of games when I play. If you want me to talk to you, talk to me. I find most people are ambivalent and/or 'say' short acronyms that are so overused that they lose all meaning.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »

i think part of this is the typical one and done nature of most of the gaming on isotropic.  you play someone and then move on to someone new next game. you really don't have time for much conversation in that setting, unless either one of the participants forces conversation or unless a curiosity of the game necessitates it.

i have found that the better conversations i have had are usually the result of requesting a second match/best of 3 with someone i enjoyed playing with. for that matter, i think the same can be said for getting matched up with the same person a few games in a row via automatch.  familiarity and more time spent is enough to spark some conversation in many cases.

as an extension of this, maybe a new feature to request on isotropic would be a preference for either a single match or a best of n set against the player.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Dave970

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »

as an extension of this, maybe a new feature to request on isotropic would be a preference for either a single match or a best of n set against the player.

Interesting thought.  I think I'd probably check off "best of 3" in my preferences.  I think I also find that multiple games in a row against the same person leads to a small bit of conversation.  More than a best of three, though, I'm not sure I'd check off.  Like most, I'm looking to play a variety of players.  Giving a drop-down option for the number, is certainly better for functionality, however.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.