Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 249668 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2011, 09:26:57 pm »

Last time i checked I have played more Dominion games on Isotropic than anyone else on the leaderboard, and I could count the number of extremely rude encounters on two hands.  This is really a very polite and mature player base for an internet game.  And thank you for reading my shameless brag about having played more games of Dominion games on Isotropic than anyone else on the leaderboard.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2011, 09:47:01 pm »

I'm glad you guys are having a better experience than I have.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2011, 10:38:15 pm »

I have I think the second most games on the board, and I think I've had 3 people be jerks.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2011, 05:24:38 am »

lol u guys hav no life.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:00 pm »

Just a quick warning: High rank does not equal politeness.

I played "wombat madness (35)" today as a lvl 31 myself.

It was a high variance kingdom with Sea Hag, Tournament and Apprentice.
I dealt the first blow with Sea Hag, discarding his and the wailing started.

When this happens I always think (and sometimes say): "I've had it happen to me plenty of times."
I think anyone with ~1000 (geez, did I really waste so much time of my life with this game?) games will have had his share of luck for and against him.

It got worse when I strung some Tournaments together for the first Province and got the Trusty Steed + Bag of Gold while he was still at 0 prizes.
He ragequitted after some more luck remarks.

I guess the old formula still applies: Normal Person + Anonimity = Douchebag

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:51 pm »

lol u guys hav no life.
I probably spend more time on chess than I do dominion!

@Davio, I disagree with your final premise, though I do want to add that I've had an even stronger player be the most... uncivil player I've dealt with.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:55 pm »

Well, the formula is as scientific as it is accurate.

It's just a shame that some people think they have to let go of their manners when they're online, even if they are still communicating with human beings.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »

lol u guys hav no life.
I probably spend more time on chess than I do dominion!

@Davio, I disagree with your final premise, though I do want to add that I've had an even stronger player be the most... uncivil player I've dealt with.

Was it me?  I have been known to whine and drive the Whaaambulance from time to time - hopefully in good fun for all, but I hope that I wasn't the most uncivil ever.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:53 pm »

No, not at all. I don't think I've ever had any problem with you, and I think the person in question probably knows who he is.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2011, 07:41:52 pm »

It's heartening that the problems one sees on isotropic haven't seemed to extend over to this forum.  A forum with this many users, it's a breath of fresh air that we haven't had moderators having to edit posts etc.

@Frisk:  I think there's a major difference between whining and being uncivil.  I find more and more on iso that when I whine, I tend to go more with laughing at my own mistakes (or bad luck) because, frankly, it's more fun that way.  But a little bit of whining is different from calling someone a cheater or an asshole.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:28 am »

No, not at all. I don't think I've ever had any problem with you, and I think the person in question probably knows who he is.
The only reason why I thought it might be me is that you always seemed to be in turbo mode, so maybe I had offended you at one point, but you didn't want to reject games because... hey... its dominion.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »

The one pet peeve I have is when someone quits out of a 3 or 4 player game, especially without warning. I'm building my deck, and suddenly cursing cards get much more powerful (too many curses) and card like jester and pirate ship get much weaker (fewer targets).

Elysium

• Steward
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 19, 2011, 02:26:02 pm »

Some crybaby named Frozyme accused me of hacking the point counter extension so I could sneak it into an automatch game where it is disabled or something.  This is more likely the result of the recent software change for the lobbies breaking something, but no, I am a cheating hacker, that is the likeliest scenario.

puddleduck

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2011, 10:16:50 am »

I don't find it to be a consistent problem.  But there is one user in particular who I avoid.  He's just rude ... makes nasty comments along the lines of "loser", "gay noob" etc ...

I try to avoid him, or if I find myself playing him by accident I just resign to avoid the hassle.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2011, 03:07:23 am »

I like the guy named "You".  His name screws up the Chrome extension so that only he can get an accurate point and card count.  Not so bad now that there is a built in point counter but it is still kind of a cheap shot.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>

How Bazaar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2011, 05:21:52 pm »

Only ever had a problem with this guy named "th2wo" or something like that.  Just was always rude.

It's really not a problem, let alone widespread, at all.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2011, 09:23:56 pm »

Huh, that is pretty funny.  th2wo has beat me repeatedly, I am 1-7 against him.  Maybe that is why he isn't rude to me. :D

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2011, 04:09:58 pm »

I just had an odd experience yesterday...(and this post became longer than I anticipated, summary at the bottom)

I had just entered the lobby, trying to get an auto-match game, not getting one after a couple auto-proposals with the same guy (he was level 6, I'm guessing he declined because I was level 33) so I unchecked the 2p box. Then I was proposed a game by a level 39 player and gladly accepted. King's Court, Laboratory, Bishop, and Possession were available, and I thought it would be fun to try to build a deck with only those cards, so it'd be good at Possessing and getting me VP tokens but nothing else. Didn't quite succeed in that regard, but when I played KC-Possession the first time, my opponent said this:

22:20 [opponent]: right
22:20 [opponent]: i hate possession
22:22 [opponent]: shame on me for not rejecting the game i suppose
22:22 michaeljb: King's Court makes it much worse
22:22 [opponent]: the card just sucks

A couple minutes later I had a bit of a big KC/Lab turn going, and while there were no Cursers in the supply, Black Market and Ambassador were also in the game, and I had picked up a couple Cursers from there (on a Possession turn) while my opponent had bought a Curse for his Ambassador. The Curses had run out, as well as the King's Courts and the Labs were just about to run out, but I honestly had not realized the Curse stack was out so I wasn't thinking about the 3 piles so much (there were also no +Buys).

He was understandably frustrated that I was taking a long turn when I could have ended it...

22:26 [opponent]: just buy a lab and end it

I didn't actually see this message till I played a couple other cards, including a KC'd Bishop, and the third time the Bishop played

22:26 [opponent]: dude
22:26 [opponent]: either end it or i log out and come back
22:26 michaeljb: i'd already hit bishop before i saw your message
22:27 michaeljb: ...and what would that accomplish?

tl;dr The best I can come up with that logging out and coming back would accomplish would be I would be sitting there for a couple minutes or something I guess, but more importantly then that I was just surprised that a higher level player would respond to Possession the way he did, namely 1) not prohibiting it in a game which he proposed, and 2) ignoring the card's presence and complaining about it when his opponent doesn't.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2011, 04:19:30 am »

I think logging out and coming back can let you effectively resign during an opponent's turn. I don't know for sure, because I've not done it, but I've had games where my opponent has VERY quickly discarded to Militia or not trashed to Bishop or whatever and I thought "huh, that's strange" and then when it gets to their turn they instantly resign. I assume this happens when they leave during my turn, but as I say, I don't know for sure.

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:08 am »

If you're in a game where an opponent is being particularly obnoxious in the chat window, you can now stop listening to them:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/faq/#mute

How Bazaar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2011, 07:31:21 pm »

If you're in a game where an opponent is being particularly obnoxious in the chat window, you can now stop listening to them:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/faq/#mute

Eggcellent option!

Dave970

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2011, 04:55:39 pm »

Huh, that is pretty funny.  th2wo has beat me repeatedly, I am 1-7 against him.  Maybe that is why he isn't rude to me. :D

I beat this person a long time ago, when my rank was probably in the low teens (don't pay too much attention to it, if anyone recalls the discussion in the "I don't know what this thread has become" thread).  He/she was pissed about it, and wanted an immediate rematch, and I asked if he/she could wait a couple minutes, because I had to attend to my laundry.  Some manner of insult was thrown at me, plus some sort of threat of never getting to play this person again, as if it was some kind of privilege for a lowly person such as myself.  Sorry, "th2wo", not my loss.  I do get a chuckle when I see him/her logged in.  I always auto-match... wonder if the veiled threat would still apply...

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2011, 02:00:28 am »

I came here to vent my frustrations about this game in particular: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/02/game-20110902-224843-e88df382.html.

After turn 12, this happens:

22:45 ddubois: nice luck fag
22:46 perdhapley: is that really necessary?
22:46 ddubois: no your rfucking luck is not necessaery

...And then, well, you can see the log. At the end of the game he immediately returned to the lobby. I don't believe I played this game particularly well or anything, but I certainly wasn't the only lucky one.

It really bums me out to see such unprovoked attacks, however rare they may be. Isotropic is such a friendly place most of the time that I never know how to deal with these kind of people when I encounter them.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2011, 05:22:25 am »

I hope we all agree that when playing Dominion online, you never complain about your opponent's luck. That conversation goes nowhere good, especially in a pseudonymous, emotionless chat box. It makes you look bad no matter how innocently you meant it.

If someone brings it up casually, I'll point that out. And next time I run into someone who's clearly being hostile about my luck, I'm going to try replying with a generous assumption about why they're complaining:

"Oh, I'm sorry! I should have warned you this game has luck in it. I thought you had played Dominion before."

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2011, 07:56:28 am »

"Oh, I'm sorry! I should have warned you this game has luck in it. I thought you had played Dominion before."

haha, Love it!  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.