Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 250811 times)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #600 on: April 27, 2012, 11:12:55 pm »
+1

There's a few (two comes to mind) strongish players like that (and numerous non-strong players of course). Don't think you can do much but roll your eyes and ignore them.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 27, 2012, 11:24:50 pm »

I've said it before but the ability to differentiate luck from skill, or more generally what part of an outcome is a result of a person's decisions and which are not is something that is incredibly difficult for people but an extremely useful ability if you want to excel at anything really.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 27, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »

..Which is (partly) why neither of these people are actually good (as far as I can tell anyway) ;)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 28, 2012, 12:07:28 am »

Maybe he can admit that he is unlucky to have made a mistake?

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:10 am »

Some of you have no idea what are you talking about

just because you won and are reluctant or incapable to see what happened doesn't mean you have to boast around with your win. When i get that luck win - i don't try to tweak it as a skill win or ''gg'' - i am understanding.

But I guess you all like to be friendly kittens like WanderingWinder who resigns me (when i'm thinking) without warning or saying anything.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:15:53 pm by rrenaud »
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 28, 2012, 07:40:55 am »

If he'll act the way he did with me, prepare for an insulting private message soon, too. :)

You better keep quite friendly kitten. Keeps insulting me, but can't take a challenge or face truth.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:16:48 pm by rrenaud »
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2012, 08:02:29 am »
+6

Some of you have no idea what are you talking about

just because you won and are reluctant or incapable to see what happened doesn't mean you have to boast around with your win. When i get that luck win - i don't try to tweak it as a skill win or ''gg'' - i am understanding.

But I guess you all like to be friendly kittens like WanderingWinder who resigns me (when i'm thinking) without warning or saying anything.

Man, I didn't want to involve myself here, but this is frustrating. I've only had one recent instance of you being memorably unpleasant within about a dozen games, and hey, that's not that bad. You're a great player, and if Isotropic had a mute button I would look forward to our matches. That instance was still pretty tame, and I was happy to give you the benefit of the doubt there, but this post... NO, no to all of this.

Deriding players for luck and/or calling them names is never, ever anything less than a total jerk move. Mention it if you want, sure, make a little joke and have a friendly back-and-forth for a minute about how crazy it is that your opponent hit some miraculous draw. Initiate a conversation and hey, maybe give a friendly lesson to your opponent (the only kind they'd actually pay attention to anyway) or learn something unexpected yourself. Or stay silent until you can find another rage outlet. Do anything else.

There is no "well, you can be a jerk if..." on this one. This is nothing less than common decency. Be a a human being about it. Whatever else it is to you, this is a game.

Also, "gg" is not a boast. It's the equivalent of a post-game handshake. Among other players, spiteful subtext is pretty uncommon.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:19:11 pm by rrenaud »

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2012, 08:21:35 am »
+2

I'm not saying that i am not a jerk.
- Axe Knight

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2012, 08:37:45 am »
+2

You're a great player, and if Isotropic had a mute button I would look forward to our matches.

Quote from: iso faq
My opponent is being mean / rude / nasty / annoying in the chat window.
You can mute them, so you will no longer see what they say. In a two-player game, type "/mute" into the chat window to mute them (and "/unmute" to see their chats once again). In a game with more than 2 players, you specify which player you want to mute by their position in turn order relative to you: "/mute before" mutes the player who comes before you, and "/mute 2 after" mutes the player who comes 2 after you (ie, after the person who plays after you).

Muting is one-way: it only prevents you from seeing their chat messages. It does not stop them from seeing yours (though of course they can choose to mute you too), and it doesn't stop what any other players in the game see.

Muting only works in games, not in the lobby, and it's not preserved from game to game. (Though really, if you find someone so annoying that you don't want to listen to them any more, why would you want to play another game with them?)

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 28, 2012, 08:49:42 am »
+3

Keeps insulting me

Where? Tell me, where? I haven't said anything. You had sent me a pm, calling me moron, which I ignored completely besides that little remark here, and continued to call me names in this thread here in the exact same post where YOU accused ME of insulting you. I don't just hold still and let you misrepresent the facts.
In fact, the only things I said remotely close to an insult where accusing you of a "loss of reality" and a "mental illness", which was discussed in the other closed thread (and this one is probably soon to follow). After all these other posts here, and that's actually quite sad, I don't think I was too far off with these remarks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:03:40 am by def »

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2012, 09:19:54 am »

i personally just decline artomjis and marin, no point in playing with whiny guys when there are plenty of nice and positive guys around.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 28, 2012, 10:14:48 am »
+1

So if you get a luck win, do you yell at yourself how lucky you were?  It would be nice to see that in the iso chats. 

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:27 am »

Keeps insulting me
I don't just hold still and let you misrepresent the facts.

What an idiot. It is you who got silly luck win and boasted around in forums, this is exactly type of player whom  i have absolutely disrespect  - gets luck win and acts like a hero.

Then you go for another ''hero'' move telling how bad-ass you were to ignore my challenge. Sorry, you are not a hero, but a friendly kitten with a big mouth.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:12:33 pm by rrenaud »
- Axe Knight

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 28, 2012, 11:26:15 am »

Also, "gg" is not a boast. It's the equivalent of a post-game handshake. Among other players, spiteful subtext is pretty uncommon.

Oh really. Then why i have encountered that frequently opponents tend to ''gg'' games they have won, but quit without saying anything when they have lost?
- Axe Knight

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 28, 2012, 11:35:58 am »
+2

Keeps insulting me
I don't just hold still and let you misrepresent the facts.
... idiot ... boasted around in forums ... friendly kitten with a big mouth ...

I don't care about any challenge you proposed since I won't play again with you. So that's not the topic. I didn't boast around in forums, you were the one to drag it here with your post in the other thread. I don't care about the games anymore, who won or lost, by luck or not.
The topic is, you keep insulting me without reason, while ignoring the prompt to show where I insulted you.
But keep doing that, I always enjoy it when someone reduces himself to absurdity.
If you want to argue on a solid base, the first thing you need to do is stop insulting other persons and comply with my request from my last post. I doubt you want to, though, and I even doubt you are able to.

PS: Can someone change the topic to "decline of civility on dominionstrategy.com"? Also, how many insults per person are allowed here without consequences?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:18:12 pm by rrenaud »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:54 am »
+3

Seriously guys?

I believe that http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1186.msg33194#msg33194 this thread was locked for a reason.

I'm not saying that people aren't rude sometimes (well, I've never found a game with Marin anything but enjoyable. He complains a bit after a loss but he was mentioning his own mistakes in the loss. Maybe some people misinterpret the language barrier?)

Publicly admonishing these people on F.DS does nothing to curb anyone's rude behavior; it most likely exacerbates it since they'll feel ganged up on.

People can figure out for themselves if they don't wish to play a certain opponent or wish to use the mute option. We didn't need a public blacklist thread for that, and we don't need a general-complaining-thread-turned-public-blacklist-thread for it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »
+3

What O said.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 28, 2012, 12:42:10 pm »
+3

What Kirian said.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 28, 2012, 02:05:45 pm »
+1

Oh really. Then why i have encountered that frequently opponents tend to ''gg'' games they have won, but quit without saying anything when they have lost?

In my experience, most people say "gg" win or lose- I know I do.  (Unless of course my opponent leaves before I get a chance, which happens sometimes since my internet connection is often laggy.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:12:55 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 29, 2012, 08:11:45 am »
+1

I think I'm less likely to say "gg" after a win, as some people do interpret it as gloating.  If in doubt, I follow my opponent's lead.

For anyone who fully accepts that Dominion is a game played inside a probability space, fluke losses against bad strategies shouldn't rankle, as they're offset by proportionately many easier wins.

paddyodoors

« Reply #620 on: April 29, 2012, 10:02:30 am »

What Morgrim7 said.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #621 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:59 am »

Personally, I think most internet greetings/ggs and such are empty and meaningless so I wouldn't normally bother, but enough people probably get offended by not saying gg that I just say it anyway nowadays, win or lose, unless for whatever reason I'm in a big hurry and have to go.  gl hf kinda rubs me the wrong way, though, and I've never understood it.  To me it's hard to wish my opponent luck when the objective of a game is partially to win it so it never would be coming from an honest place.  I settle on just saying 'hi,' which seems inoffensive enough.

{Socially awkward Penguin.png}
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 29, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »
+1

These discussions always remind me of this.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 29, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »
+2

These discussions always remind me of this.

That article is the stupidest thing I've read today, and I've spent time on the Fark Politics tab today.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 29, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »

I agree with paddyodoors, Morgrim7, Kirian, and O.

@ycz6: that made me die a little inside...
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.