Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 250530 times)

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #525 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:46 am »
+1

I think it's pretty much accepted on any online game that gl and gg don't really mean much, they are just a way of acknowledging your opponent without giving the impression that you necessarily want to start a conversation (like 'hi' sometimes does).  If someone says gg to me when it clearly wasn't a good game, I might make a joke of it, or just say gg back, but I certainly won't take offence.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 14, 2012, 09:18:47 am »
+3

"A way of acknowledging your opponent" hits the nail on the head for me.  If wishing someone good luck seems disingenuous, then don't.  If saying "gg" seems vacuous, don't say that either.  Do say something cordial, though.  Your opponent is a real person taking a few minutes out of his/her life to sit down and play a game with you.  It's fine if you're not feeling conversational, but you can at least acknowledge that fact.

In terms of "gg" in particular, I see it as sort of the post-game handshake, not an actual statement about the quality of the game.  In that context, leaving immediately after the game without saying anything strikes me as rude and unsporting.  So, saying nothing says something.  If "gg" feels vacuous, say something respectful that doesn't.  If it was a particularly bad game, well, hate the game, not the player.

Echo354

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:10 pm »

I generally don't say "hf" or "gl" to open a game, not because I'm offended by them in any way, but because I don't really think about it. I don't mind if my opponent and I don't talk; I'm not a particularly talkative person myself. If they do provide something, though (be it "gg", "gl", "hf", "hi", or whatever else) I'll respond (often with something like a "you too"). Lately I've commented on games more often, if I've had particularly good or bad luck I might mention it, or if a strategy of mine works particularly well or poorly I'll say something. I don't get offended if my opponent doesn't respond, they might just not feel like talking, which is cool. I always end the game with "gg", though.

Cheese

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:16 pm »
+8

In terms of "gg" in particular, I see it as sort of the post-game handshake, not an actual statement about the quality of the game.  In that context, leaving immediately after the game without saying anything strikes me as rude and unsporting.  So, saying nothing says something.  If "gg" feels vacuous, say something respectful that doesn't.  If it was a particularly bad game, well, hate the game, not the player.

I think this is precisely correct. I think anyone who believes these gestures are vacuous is looking at it through the lens of friendliness rather than that of respect.

Friendliness is when you are happy, energetic, and engaging. It is hugging. It is smiley faces and exaggerated positivity. It is generally a given among, well, friends, but certainly not restricted to them.

Respect is when you are courteous and acknowledge that the person you are interacting with is neither above nor below you. It is shaking hands. It is "please" and "thank you", "sir" and "ma'am".

Friendliness can be great, but respect is mandatory. When we go out to eat, my sister is friendly but disrespectful. She is always bubbly and engaging, but she calls waiters "hon" or "sweetie" and generally wastes their time. I am the exact opposite. I am terse and rarely engage the staff in any meaningful way, but I am always extremely polite and never get visibly upset about anything. She has at least three stories of waiters or waitresses who had "attitude"; I eat out far more often and have never had anything close to such an issue.

tl;dr Just say "gg", it's a respect thing. If you want to be friendly, which is a choice, of course there's no harm in going the extra step.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »

Friendliness can be great, but respect is mandatory.

Well put, I like it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:43 pm »

22:11 Jack Rudd: gg
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer: faggot fucker
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer: let me win bitch
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer has returned to the lobby.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2012, 08:09:28 pm »

22:11 Jack Rudd: gg
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer: faggot fucker
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer: let me win bitch
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer has returned to the lobby.

If there was ever a reason to judge a book by its cover...
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:40 am »

He could have been going down the road of A Nul Sniffer, possibly to set up a "My dog has no nose" joke....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:09 am »

While not too offensive, here is a posting of comments after I won the game. It was a Goons game with Menagerie and no +action, and I ended up buying all ten Menageries, and yet the guy was calling me a noob even though he ran more Goons than he should have and ignored Menagerie altogether. Like I said, not too bad, but still.

3:24 Beyond Awesome: gg
 3:35 Yaz: gg lucksac novice
 3:35 Yaz: nice drawing
 3:35 Beyond Awesome: Thanks
 3:35 Yaz: noob
 3:35 Beyond Awesome: I figured to just run one Goons that way they don't collide
 3:35 Yaz: keep typing
 3:35 Beyond Awesome: And, Menagerie helps counter Goons
 3:36 Beyond Awesome: So, why you calling me a noob
 3:36 Beyond Awesome: Well...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:48:08 am by Beyond Awesome »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #534 on: March 07, 2012, 08:30:32 am »

While not too offensive, here is a posting of comments after I won the game. It was a Goons game with Menagerie and no +action, and I ended up buying all ten Menageries, and yet the guy was calling me a noob even though he ran more Goons than he should have and ignored Menagerie altogether. Like I said, not too bad, but still.

3:24 Beyond Awesome: gg
 3:35 Yaz: gg lucksac novice
 3:35 Yaz: nice drawing
 3:35 Beyond Awesome: Thanks
 3:35 Yaz: noob
 3:35 Beyond Awesome: I figured to just run one Goons that way they don't collide
 3:35 Yaz: keep typing
 3:35 Beyond Awesome: And, Menagerie helps counter Goons
 3:36 Beyond Awesome: So, why you calling me a noob
 3:36 Beyond Awesome: Well...
To be fair, you should buy more than one goons there, even with menageries.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 07, 2012, 11:36:40 am »
+4

lucksac novice

Lucksac novice might need to be my new internet handle.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 07, 2012, 03:48:51 pm »
+1

A level 21 calling a level 22 a "noob" is just priceless.

That said, WW is right, two or three Goons would have been better there.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 08, 2012, 04:12:05 am »

Well, there was no +action, and Highway was also on the board which is why I ran one. I wanted to draw as many highways to go with my goons as possible.

Actually, since there was no +action, the optimal strategy may have been to go BM w/Menageries to counter the Goons discard and just buy Province and Duchy.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:17:02 am by Beyond Awesome »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:26 am »

Well, there was no +action, and Highway was also on the board which is why I ran one. I wanted to draw as many highways to go with my goons as possible.

Actually, since there was no +action, the optimal strategy may have been to go BM w/Menageries to counter the Goons discard and just buy Province and Duchy.
Except it's not. You still want multiple goons, for sure. Which of course doesn't excuse behaviour, but yeah, you want more goons, even with all this other stuff.

Tahtweasel

• Navigator
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »

I've been called "lucky" for winning against someone 1,793 spots below me on the isotropic leaderboard. It was a board that had Witch, and he didn't buy Witch.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 09, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

I've been called "lucky" for winning against someone 1,793 spots below me on the isotropic leaderboard. It was a board that had Witch, and he didn't buy Witch.

You were just lucky that you managed to draw your Witch. :P
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 09, 2012, 02:29:28 pm »

Hah, I just had Yaz give me the same treatment. He left and made me wait for the timeout, too.

He complained that I got lucky draws - that's after I got two ambassadors to his one, got rid of everything unnecessary, and had like 5 labs in my deck. Yeah, I'll get lucky draws after there's nothing bad left to draw...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 09, 2012, 02:41:38 pm »

Hah, I just had Yaz give me the same treatment. He left and made me wait for the timeout, too.

He complained that I got lucky draws - that's after I got two ambassadors to his one, got rid of everything unnecessary, and had like 5 labs in my deck. Yeah, I'll get lucky draws after there's nothing bad left to draw...

I played double-Ambassador a few weeks ago and lost horribly... not sure if it was bad luck or if I misjudged the board, but afterwards my opponent asked me if I was actually trying at all that game. I told him yes, that normally double-Ambassador is quite strong. He said he'd never heard of such a strategy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Tahtweasel

• Navigator
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 09, 2012, 03:03:42 pm »

Double Ambassador is quite luck-dependent, but very strong on average.

The ideal draws for turns 3 and 4 are AEECC followed by AECCC. On the triple-copper hand, you send the estate and buy a silver.

With a single Ambassador, AECCC usually means sending the two coppers.

But with two Ambassadors, it's different; you have two terminals, no buying power, and a fast-thinning deck.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 10, 2012, 07:36:34 am »

I've had a level 42 tell me THIS WEEK that he had 0 chance of winning on turn 0, because of the opening split, and then later revised it to 5%...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2012, 07:39:30 am »

I've had a level 42 tell me THIS WEEK that he had 0 chance of winning on turn 0, because of the opening split, and then later revised it to 5%...

Ahhh, but did he win?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 10, 2012, 07:45:12 am »
+1

Ahhh, but did he win?
No.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 12, 2012, 08:42:43 am »

Ahhh, but did he win?
No.

I kind of wonder if that was a self-fulfilling prophecy. He felt he wouldn't win, so his mind was no longer fully on the game.

Although, it's also likely that you just beat him with skill.

Still, at least he lost after having said that. There's one guy in my group that usually laments decisions he made and says that they'll cost him the game. Several times he pulls ahead and wins the game. Very annoying to hear someone complain about how he's going to lose and then be trounced by him.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:53 am »

Ahhh, but did he win?
No.

I kind of wonder if that was a self-fulfilling prophecy. He felt he wouldn't win, so his mind was no longer fully on the game.

Still, at least he lost after having said that. There's one guy in my group that usually laments decisions he made and says that they'll cost him the game. Several times he pulls ahead and wins the game. Very annoying to hear someone complain about how he's going to lose and then be trounced by him.

In a game with more politics, like Settlers of Catan, it's usually important to say things like that to get people to think you are behind. ;D Not so much in Dominion, though.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:32 am »

Ahhh, but did he win?
No.

Okay, to be fair to him, I definitely had a big advantage from shuffle luck early on. It's just, there's no way that the first shuffle gives you THAT much advantage. Like, I think I played well enough, he played pretty close to optimally, and I won anyway. Okay, this is actually a big part of the game.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.