Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 249686 times)

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »

I find I run into two players:

1. Those who, like me, don't mind taking a few seconds to say hello and genuinely engage the opponent.

2. Those who shut up, never say anything, ever and tend to be matched up again within seconds of losing/winning.

The first type of player, always produces a more interesting game, because they are more likely to comment on moves they (or I) made and this helps not only make the game more cordial, but interesting. I wish there was a way to flag players as agreeable to your play style, because they make playing the game much more interesting.

The second type of player genuinely seem hungry for ratings. Only because they are madly trying to squeeze as many games in as possible. If these players say anything at all, it when you do hit a very lucky streak and that turns the tide in the game. At which point, they swear or curse your luck, but not much else.

I tend to get luckier than my opponents. Or at least, I recognize my own luck more often. Having only one gold early and seeing it come up again on the very next draw of a reshuffle, can really move me forward.

The most unlucky I ever seem to get is with Saboteur, which seems to always find my Provinces (even if I have only one), but never seems to find my Silver.

Anyway, I most definitely enjoy a more social player, and a brief discussion of the board/game after its conclusion is most welcome.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2011, 02:35:38 pm »

I'm usually quite happy to discuss strategy etc. but tend not to talk much beyond the simple courtesy of "hi gl/gg" unless my opponent(s) demonstrate an interest and start talking first. 

I imagine this is fairly common.

If I notice that my opponent(s) have just had something particularly unlucky happen to them (e.g. Swindling a 5-cost) then I'll often acknowledge it with an "oof" or "I'm sorry".
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »

I often just straight-up don't notice a comment in the chat window if things didn't start off chatty.  I've had a few games where when I looked down to chat to type "gg," I saw some comment from my opponent that probably happened 5 minutes ago.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2011, 04:00:04 pm »

I'm usually quite happy to discuss strategy etc. but tend not to talk much beyond the simple courtesy of "hi gl/gg" unless my opponent(s) demonstrate an interest and start talking first. 

I imagine this is fairly common.

If I notice that my opponent(s) have just had something particularly unlucky happen to them (e.g. Swindling a 5-cost) then I'll often acknowledge it with an "oof" or "I'm sorry".

It is common, I always make an extended comment at the start to signal I am open to discussing the game, but like the post after yours suggests, some people miss them for a long period, as they rightly focus on the board and start counting cards and VPs.

I spose I could always put some games up on this forum for discussion too. Part of the "agenda" here of course is to teach myself how to play the game at a decent level, as opposed to the noobish level I am at now.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2011, 10:04:09 pm »

The second type of player genuinely seem hungry for ratings.
No, not for ratings, for more games and more practice. Some of us just take this game a lot more seriously than others.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2011, 08:30:48 am »

Some guy just had a go at me for getting lucky when he went 4-0 up on Provinces and then I hammered the Gardens stack. Seriously, if I get 2 Bureacrats in the first 4 turns and then spend the next 8-10 turns loading up on Villages and Wharfs, you need to block the Gardens or you're going to lose. No luck involved.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2011, 12:51:09 pm »

The "you got lucky" comment is pretty common for me too. Sometimes its deserved, but mostly it just seems kind of petty. I tell you also, its the people who don't even spare you an opening greeting that seem more likely to blow up when they lose. I think some people are just a tad too tense when they play.

But I'll concede I am a very, very casual player, looking for laughs more than victories. It's why I hang out here and design variants, to have a laugh or two, discuss the game and enjoy the "meta" part of the meta-game. :)

Doesn't make me a superior player of course (possibly even an inferior player), but it does explain why I am more willing to engage in some light chat during a game.

barsooma

« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2011, 06:54:12 pm »

The "you got lucky" comment is pretty common for me too. Sometimes its deserved, but mostly it just seems kind of petty. I tell you also, its the people who don't even spare you an opening greeting that seem more likely to blow up when they lose. I think some people are just a tad too tense when they play.

But I'll concede I am a very, very casual player, looking for laughs more than victories. It's why I hang out here and design variants, to have a laugh or two, discuss the game and enjoy the "meta" part of the meta-game. :)

Doesn't make me a superior player of course (possibly even an inferior player), but it does explain why I am more willing to engage in some light chat during a game.

Hate to break it to you.. but if you even know of this forum's existence you are in no way a 'casual' player.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 14, 2011, 07:20:01 pm »

Heh, well I should have said "poor player" perhaps?

Just got the "lucky crap wins" comment on a victory. It was because one of one my Saboteur plays nailed a Province. The thing is, he had nailed several of my Gold earlier, and the real reason I won was because I upgraded two 4s to Dutchies, then 3-piling on one of his Sabotage plays.

In other words, yeah I got a bit lucky, but I also handled some aspects of the game well enough to win.

sweettea

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »

Once, there was a person who attempted cybersex with me while playing.

Nothing like that has happened anytime recently.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2011, 01:09:53 am »

So I am likely to be offending people with "GG"?  I don't wait or anything, I generally just say it or something similar as soon as the game ends.  Should...should I not when I win?

I feel the civility has declined a bit over the last couple of weeks but it is still generally neutral or good experiences.  I DID have somebody whine and ragequit the other day, but most of my games have proceeded without incident, if not tons of friendly banter.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

pooka

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2011, 01:57:25 am »

Yeah, I see some of the user names and statuses and it makes me reticent to instigate conversation.  But there is that ignore option mentioned in the FAQ.  On the upside, you can meet people from all over the world on isotropic. 
Just for today... level 14

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2011, 01:23:16 pm »

Did he ask you to three-pile him?

(I have no idea what that means)
A man has no signature

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2011, 03:10:06 pm »

So I am likely to be offending people with "GG"?  I don't wait or anything, I generally just say it or something similar as soon as the game ends.  Should...should I not when I win?

No.  Look, the internet standard is to say "gg" at the end of the game.  People who get offended when someone says "good game" to them are being ridiculous.  I mean, sure, if you want to make the point that in your ideal world, people would take a different standard for the end of the game, okay, fine.  You may have a point.

But if you get OFFENDED when people say a polite, meaningless phrase at the end of the game, that's your problem, not your opponent's.  It's similar to if you get OFFENDED if people say "God bless you" after you sneeze.  Sure, maybe that phrase isn't the ideal, but it's well-meant and ultimately not a big deal.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »

I think I've been offended once or twice when 'gg' was said to me at any point, and that's only when it was clearly sarcastic, as they'd been personally ripping into me beforehand.

Copernicus

• Baron
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2011, 12:16:31 am »

23:14 o_O: gg db

Somehow, I don't think that's the proper meaning of gg.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:28 am »

What's db? Or is it a smiley?

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2011, 02:41:06 am »

What's db? Or is it a smiley?

douchebag

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2011, 02:58:40 am »

Oh. :(

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:51 am »

Quite often when I type "gg", that's exactly what I'm thinking.  :)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55:53 am »

Quite often when I type "gg", that's exactly what I'm thinking.  :)

Whenever I see someone type an acronym, I just assume that it is something insulting or humiliating.

So, on Isotropic, I get offended when someone calls me a "Greedy Goat" or starts off a game by calling me "Halibut Face."

Okay, tnt*, but I might start doing that.

* That's Not True, or you could assume it means Totally Needless Troll.
A man has no signature

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »

I tend to talk in actual sentences, but I will return a "GG" if that's what was offered to me. So I'll usually type, "thanks for the game", but if they already initiated a GG, I'll return "GG", kinda like how in some languages its considered good etiquette to return the exact same kind of informal greeting.

Meh, you know, it doesn't really matter. I think what matters is that we recognize that isotropic has a few douche bags, but they are the extreme minority. And that, taking an extra 10 seconds to thank your opponent, isn't such a terrible thing. I tend to gauge my opponent's willingness to chat. I don't turn it into "coffee talk" or anything, but if I see the opponent willing to type a sentence, I'll sometimes comment on my moves (or his), particularly when I feel I've made a mistake, I'll call it out. For one thing, typing out the mistake, helps me remember it for next time.

Fangz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »

A game just now.
0:42 theron: simpel 2/5 start end viktory
0:42 Fang: you could have gone watchtower
0:42 Fang: that's a hard counter to margrave
0:43 Fang: instead of black market and no trashers
0:43 theron: ???
0:43 Fang: there was for example no point you picking up crossroads
0:44 Fang: If I was you, I'd have gone for watchtower and hamlets asap
0:44 Fang: and gone for the margrave with my first $5 instead of laboratory
0:44 theron: hey you get the Margrave and tje Hamlet and also the most Peddler what the fuck tell you for a shit???
0:44 Fang: I'm just giving you some friendly advice
0:45 Fang: there are things you could have done
0:45 theron: you telling simply shit i had no chance in this game because of your 2/5 start thjats the simple true
0:45 Fang: that's not even slightly true.
0:46 theron: if i had the 2/5 star i will witrh this cards simply win
0:46 Fang: really.
0:46 theron: and you too
0:46 Fang: I hate players like you
0:47 Fang: who blame luck when they plainly had no idea what they are doing
0:47 Fang: when you bought poition/bm... why?
0:47 Fang: potion
0:47 theron: and i hate players like you
0:47 Fang: for learning the game?
0:47 Fang: resign now then, and rematch
0:48 theron: make your turn ready than i can give up and you can be proud of your wisdomm
He then refused to play a rematch with identical starting hands.

Grr, yes, something you get bad shuffle luck, but people who use that as an excuse when they played badly throughout... so damn annoying.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201110/20/game-20111020-164827-cc1d3235.html

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19:41 pm »

Sure, he didn't play well. Of course you're also going for the Potion pretty early on this particular board, and I'm inclined to think he's also right that being second player with 4/3 against first player with 5/2 on that board will be a loss 80+% of the time. To compete in the Peddler race it's not enough that Watchtower lets him draw to 6 - he needs to be starting Hamlet/Watchtower, otherwise he's just boned. And that's not going to happen enough early on to contend, meaning you're going to get a massively powerful deck quite quickly with plenty of time to pick up Pools once you're chock full of actions.

So, I'd say that you should also accept that this was indeed a very lucky game for you, and then challenge him to that rematch.

Fangz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:11 pm »

There's three keys to that game - trashing to get rid of coppers and estates, +buy, and attacking pressure with margrave/defending from that. His starting buys - potion/blackmarket just don't help with that at all. If he had gone silver-steward, or steward-watchtower, he could have gotten a margrave in response as early as turn 4, (and gotten another $5 card in turn 5), he could have acquired hamlets and trashed coppers and done actually useful things in the meantime.  I would have had a grand total of 1 margrave use more than him, and for that margrave I only bought a potion anyway. If he bought the right things, by turn 5 our decks could have been completely identical. (My buy phase monies for the first 5 turns were 2,5,3,4,3. His were 3,4,4,3-5 depending on card choice, 5) Heck, he could have capitalised on his chance to open steward and trashed two more cards than me.

Instead, he did a course of action that began with a bad opening, continued with a silver buy that was useless for peddler acquisition, and ended with him actually buying none of the hamlets and margraves that he complained about me getting. Instead he gets a laboratory and a crossroad for his deck with one terminal in it, and never picks up a trasher or a +buy. There's one thing blaming bad luck if you tried your best and fought for it, and quite another when you did things that were quite simply actively horrible.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:12:52 pm by Fangz »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.