Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 249704 times)

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #425 on: December 17, 2011, 07:19:24 pm »

Yeah, I got that thanks. Hope I don't play you or anyone else who's had their sense of humor removed anytime soon.
You were being rude, not funny.
Whatever dude. I guess all you 40+ take yourselves way too seriously.
You are posting on the 'civility' thread.  Cognitive dissonance much?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 17, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »
+5

olneyce, you're not a level 40+ player (on today's leaderboard anyway), so clearly you have no right to be so rude to him, like we are!

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 17, 2011, 11:18:40 pm »

I too have experienced a pretty severe lack in sportsmanship when playing on isotropic.  A few manners (hello, hf, etc.) go a long way to making the game that much more fun.  And at the end, saying good game is the least that everybody could do.  It's just a game, people, and an extremely fun one at that.  Let's not diminish it by taking it so seriously.  You win some, you lose some.  Say good game and give that virtual handshake at the end of the game.

It's worth considering that not everybody finds perfunctory greetings a la "hf gl" and "gg" to be super awesome fun. 80% of "gg"s also seem to be deployed right before an immediate exit back to the lobby. In general I wish people would communicate more - I'm pretty sure I'm in the top decile of chatters during a game - but this level of stuff doesn't really add much.

barsooma

« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2011, 01:00:44 am »

I too have experienced a pretty severe lack in sportsmanship when playing on isotropic.  A few manners (hello, hf, etc.) go a long way to making the game that much more fun.  And at the end, saying good game is the least that everybody could do.  It's just a game, people, and an extremely fun one at that.  Let's not diminish it by taking it so seriously.  You win some, you lose some.  Say good game and give that virtual handshake at the end of the game.

It's worth considering that not everybody finds perfunctory greetings a la "hf gl" and "gg" to be super awesome fun. 80% of "gg"s also seem to be deployed right before an immediate exit back to the lobby. In general I wish people would communicate more - I'm pretty sure I'm in the top decile of chatters during a game - but this level of stuff doesn't really add much.

Yeah, but if you say anything besides the banalities, nice fellows get pissed at you.

I'm not going to bother defending my sense of humor to you, but please explain to me how exactly asking a tongue in cheek question and making a statement of fact are considered rude?

And guided, I'm calling you out: I think rage quitting is far more rude than anything said that doesn't involve profanity.
Do you disagree?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:26:57 am by barsooma »

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 18, 2011, 02:01:30 am »
+5

Yeah, but if you say anything besides the banalities, nice fellows get pissed at you.

I'm not going to bother defending my sense of humor to you, but please explain to me how exactly asking a tongue in cheek question and making a statement of fact are considered rude?
You can't get mad at us.  We're just making tongue in cheek comments about your post. 

What?  You don't get the humor?  Hmmm, you must be a bot.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 18, 2011, 08:12:15 am »

Yeah, I got that thanks. Hope I don't play you or anyone else who's had their sense of humor removed anytime soon.
You were being rude, not funny.
Whatever dude. I guess all you 40+ take yourselves way too seriously.
You were being rude to him. This is coming from a level 0. Please think about what you would've thought if someone said "Hope I don't play you or anyone else who's had their sense of humor removed anytime soon." to you. Think about that until you understand how it is rude, until then, please don't respond.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #431 on: December 18, 2011, 08:21:21 am »
+3

I can't believe this thread got worse than it already was.

No more discussion on barsooma's game, please.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 19, 2011, 12:49:26 am »
+2

I can't believe this thread got worse than it already was.

That said, we do at least have a place where 90% of the incivility on the board has been concentrated.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 19, 2011, 04:24:55 pm »
+4

One thing that I've learned in my 24 years being online is that text is a terrible medium to convey tone. Jokes don't always go over so well.

For example, in a real-life game, if one person has a 5/2 split while I have a 4/3, I'll jokingly exclaim, "Hax!" If I did that in Isotropic—especially to a complete stranger—I would not be surprised if he took it poorly. I wouldn't mean to insult him, but my assumption that he would find that as humorous may well be my folly.

When someone looks to be rude, that might not be his intention. He may be trying to convey a joke, or he may not have a perfect grasp of English, or maybe it's even a combination of both. It's the listener's job to comprehend the message, but it's also the sender's job to ensure the message is easily and universally comprehended. Humor in a textual format is difficult to pull off, and it's very easy for the other person to interpret it as something else.

Of course, if there is a string of profanity, then I'm less likely to give that person the benefit of the doubt and just assume he's really that angry at me.
A man has no signature

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 19, 2011, 08:53:29 pm »

One thing that I've learned in my 24 years being online is that text is a terrible medium to convey tone. Jokes don't always go over so well.

For example, in a real-life game, if one person has a 5/2 split while I have a 4/3, I'll jokingly exclaim, "Hax!" If I did that in Isotropic—especially to a complete stranger—I would not be surprised if he took it poorly. I wouldn't mean to insult him, but my assumption that he would find that as humorous may well be my folly.

When someone looks to be rude, that might not be his intention. He may be trying to convey a joke, or he may not have a perfect grasp of English, or maybe it's even a combination of both. It's the listener's job to comprehend the message, but it's also the sender's job to ensure the message is easily and universally comprehended. Humor in a textual format is difficult to pull off, and it's very easy for the other person to interpret it as something else.

Of course, if there is a string of profanity, then I'm less likely to give that person the benefit of the doubt and just assume he's really that angry at me.

That's what smilies are for.

"Hax! :P" or "Hax! ;)" should do nicely. :)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2011, 03:03:41 pm »

Nope. I've tried it. Some people haven't seen a smily before. Also, you would be surprised how many haven't seen :P or XD or xD or even -_-.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:50 pm »

Nope. I've tried it. Some people haven't seen a smily before. Also, you would be surprised how many haven't seen :P or XD or xD or even -_-.

Well if people don't know common internet lingo, that's not your fault it's theirs. What can you do?

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 20, 2011, 07:54:31 pm »

Well if people don't know common internet lingo, that's not your fault it's theirs. What can you do?
Don't say Hax. That, and link them to something like http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=239640
/shameless self-advertisement :P

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 22, 2011, 11:48:53 am »

Just played a game where my opponent left the game after about 12 turns of Ambassador play saying:

fuck you I hate playing high rnaked players who don't veto Ambassador.

He vetoed Margrave and I vetoed random. Also, he was 6 levels below me, so lvl 25.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 29, 2011, 03:17:09 pm »

Just played a game as Karr where I was trouncing someone with a village/Rabble/Margrave chain. I was drawing/playing my whole deck but was clicking pretty quickly.. but then:

15:13 ∞: play faster
15:13 Karr: I was waiting for you to discard!
15:13 ∞: you are just sitting there now
15:13 Karr: I was typing!
15:13 Karr: TO YOU
15:13 ∞: just play - you type and play too slowly
15:14 ∞: later, you should stick to table games
15:14 ∞ has returned to the lobby.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 30, 2011, 03:58:16 pm »
+1

played a guy by the name of YAHWEH. He said "YAHWEH" and returned to the lobby lol. Free win, I won't complain :).

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 30, 2011, 09:01:19 pm »

I know some games get dragged out totally unnecessarily and somebody should just quit and I usually do, but if they "gg" before you voluntarily quit...isn't that kind of dickish? I mean, if he had just asked me, I would have given up.

This just happened to me. Then he (she?) and I had a snippy argument about whether what he did was dickish.

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 31, 2011, 09:49:10 am »
+5

It's human nature to get really upset and defensive when losing, so it's important to remember where people are coming from.  Not responding in kind can do wonders for the online atmosphere.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 31, 2011, 02:03:00 pm »

That's pretty awesome. Way to be a good guy greg.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

KMueller

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:28 am »
+1

It's human nature to get really upset and defensive when losing, so it's important to remember where people are coming from.  Not responding in kind can do wonders for the online atmosphere.

I agree: Here was my good morning game dialog:

5:51 KMueller: gg
 5:51 S******: lucky f%$#
 5:51 KMueller: yeah
 5:51 S******: grosss
 5:51 S******: you play like s^%$
 5:51 S******: and get rewarded
 5:51 KMueller: love you too
 5:51 Shroomchild has returned to the lobby.

We played a very similar game, the only difference I bought a Remodel one shuffle before him and grabbed the last Prov. using it and a gold.

I agree that the gg, gl, hf are not the be all end all, but they at least indicate a willingness to chat, if the other person is interested.

Edit: Cartoon profanities to replace his

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 05, 2012, 06:01:50 am »
+1

I don't think anybody on this forum has ever successfully censored an opponent's name in any kind of log... I find it kind of funny.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 05, 2012, 08:54:34 pm »

I don't think anybody on this forum has ever successfully censored an opponent's name in any kind of log... I find it kind of funny.

I think chogg got it right, a couple posts up.

Sure, you could spend your time searching for a game chogg played that had Harem and Chapel, but are you really going to do that?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 05, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »

Yes, I did, actually. Was pretty simple. I was curious, in part because of the censoring :)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #448 on: January 09, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »

Packman97 just cursed me out for an epic scrying pool/NV/torturer engine I just built.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 09, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »

Strangest exchange I've ever had on isotropic:

14:59 chwhite: hi gl
15:00 ****: of course
15:01 ****: gg
15:04 ****: what is it with folks that won't gg back?
15:04 ****: it's over and you know it
15:06 ****: fucking asshole
15:06 chwhite: sorry, I was goign to gg when the game was actually over?
15:06 chwhite: *going
15:06 ****: it's been over for a long time
15:07 chwhite: I've always thought it was poor form to gg when it was still goign on, sorry
15:07 ****: only if you are winning and do it first
15:08 ****: do you honestly think I'm going to come back and beat you?
15:10 chwhite: gg
15:10 ****: asshole

The first "gg" was given immediately after I pulled Tournament out of the Black Market deck (or perhaps it was after the first or second province, in either case it was fairly early on).  The game was by no means over, though admittedly I did hit the BM jackpot and it would be hard for my opponent to come back.  But... I've never in all my time here seen someone give a premature gg when the game was still in doubt AND THEN flip out about not having it returned at a point in the game when doing so would be IMO be taunting!

Or maybe I'm crazy, I dunno.  My rushed and poor typing is evidence in that direction. :P
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 20 queries.