Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 249706 times)

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #300 on: October 20, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »

I woulda gone Scrying Pool, Hamlet and Peddler. I would have bought one Steward early to trash Copper and just one Silver to get me over the hump early. I would have bought two Potions fairly early to get 3-4 Scrying Pools. I would have only bought the Watchtower if I saw a grab for Margrave.

Solo, I get to all 8 Provinces in  21 Turns, bet I could even get better than that, as the Scrying Pool/Peddler engine can generate 16$ with just two Silver and a Steward to help it out for money.

It wasn't that hard a board to read...Scrying Pool/Peddler and Hamlet work pretty well together.

Kenuru

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 22, 2011, 01:56:40 am »

Essentially, this person I played (who went by '/' and was unregistered) starting berating me for my "slow" play. I tried to explain by saying that my internet wasn't very good at my friend's house, but he wouldn't have any of that. Logic, reasoning? Nah. He continued to berate me, calling me silly things like "retarded" and whatnot until he finally resigned because I "put him to sleep."

I think it was because he was unregistered that he didn't care what he's doing to another human being--he can easily change names (or not), hide behind his veil of anonymity, and go on with his business again. I'll go back to playing rated matches.

As idiotic as this guy was, he still somewhat got to me because this was the first verbal attack I've ever witnessed in my months of playing. I wouldn't mind having thicker skin.

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2011, 12:19:05 am »

As idiotic as this guy was, he still somewhat got to me because this was the first verbal attack I've ever witnessed in my months of playing. I wouldn't mind having thicker skin.

Hey Kenuru, you're a nice guy. I hope you play a game of Dominion with me. You're also full of good ideas. And really, next time you think of posting here: please do, because it was insightful.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #303 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:40 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201110/28/game-20111028-153415-2d7bdb3d.html

Prior to resigning from this game, my opponent had this to say:

indomitable: hey you faggot 34 year old. get a fucking life

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2011, 09:26:39 pm »

Moneylender / Chapel was an interesting opening...

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:57 am »

hey graystripe, they same person said i was a lucky bitch and i was dead

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #306 on: October 29, 2011, 09:02:05 am »

hey graystripe, they same person said i was a lucky bitch and i was dead

when did you die?  :P

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 29, 2011, 11:52:59 am »

It's not so stupid in general if you wanted to say so. There are threads about this.
If no other reasonable 2$ cost card is out  - like haven - a chapel/silver clash is as bad as a chapel/moneylender clash.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 29, 2011, 06:52:52 pm »

It's not so stupid in general if you wanted to say so. There are threads about this.
If no other reasonable 2$ cost card is out  - like haven - a chapel/silver clash is as bad as a chapel/moneylender clash.

I don't know, Moneylender just seems a bit redundant. How long is your deck actually going to have Copper for?

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 30, 2011, 03:20:36 am »

I don't know, Moneylender just seems a bit redundant. How long is your deck actually going to have Copper for?

Of course there is no long term use and you will chapel him after say second use. But in ideal case you trash faster than your opponent and can buy some useful card in a moneylender turn on the way. It's not the best thing in th world and risky, but not totally stupid.
I didn't come across this opening for a very long time. So the discussion was more basic/intrigue that time. But chapel/baron is a similar idea with baron for a quick gold and then trash him.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 05, 2011, 02:34:03 am »

Doesn't a bureacrat-chapel opening seem stronger if you wanted to win the trash race and improve your deck?

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 05, 2011, 12:27:56 pm »

Yes it is in a chapel-mirror-match. Its basically the same thought like Chapel/Moneylender. We had a whole thread about this issue in the German Dominion Forum like 1 year ago  8)

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2011, 04:40:53 am »

The major change I've noticed over the last couple weeks is the number of people who just resign once they start losing.  Now, I don't have a problem with that in the abstract.  I've certainly resigned once or twice.  But it seems like it's only good form to say something before you do it.  How hard is it to type: "Way behind, not going to catch up, gg"?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2011, 09:21:30 am »

The major change I've noticed over the last couple weeks is the number of people who just resign once they start losing.  Now, I don't have a problem with that in the abstract.  I've certainly resigned once or twice.  But it seems like it's only good form to say something before you do it.  How hard is it to type: "Way behind, not going to catch up, gg"?
Why do they need to do this? I mean, I obviously have no problem with doing this, I just don't understand why it would be necessary.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2011, 10:01:56 am »

Some of the time, the reason for a forfeit is precisely because it wasn't a very good game. Think Alchemist or Familiar games where the potion is delayed to Turn 5 or you don't make $3P. I'd throw out a gg if my opponent simply played better, but there is no incentive to do so if they didn't.

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 06, 2011, 10:20:59 am »

Some of the time, the reason for a forfeit is precisely because it wasn't a very good game. Think Alchemist or Familiar games where the potion is delayed to Turn 5 or you don't make $3P. I'd throw out a gg if my opponent simply played better, but there is no incentive to do so if they didn't.

Agreed. I finish losing games unless I feel that they are dragging for too long *and* were mostly the consequence of luck. I never quit before the winner is clear, however. So don't take me quitting in towards the end as a particular sign of anger. You probably played well, but I have nothing to add to the game (nor really any particularly positive comments to make) in such a situation. A bot could finish for me.

On the flip side however, being a cautious player, I do tend to drag on winning games for too long. Not to gloat on the victory or get badges or whatever, but really to minimize the chances of a miracle comeback. And I completely understand if you want to quit in the middle of that.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 06, 2011, 12:39:18 pm »
+1

Why do they need to do this? I mean, I obviously have no problem with doing this, I just don't understand why it would be necessary.
Because you're playing the game with another human being.  I don't know, this just seems obvious to me. 

It's a game. It's satisfying to actually play games out to conclusion.  It's not just about winning; it's about the process of playing.  Which, as I said, doesn't mean that quitting is in and of itself terrible.  I completely agree that it can be frustrating to just sit there while someone racks up a 50 point lead.  I just think if you're going to leave, it's nice to acknowledge this.  It's obviously not the worst thing in the world, but it does seem like the modestly civil thing to do.

I mean, if you were playing face to face with your friends, you wouldn't just get up and leave in the middle of the game.  You would say "man, I am losing.  Let's just call it a game" or something.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #317 on: November 06, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »
+1

If I'm playing a lower ranked player and see I'm going to lose I'll say something like "I can't win anymore, I'm going to resign" because some of these players are going to get angry that I stopped them from completing their awesome engine. If I'm playing a +30 I'll just resign, because I know they'll mostly be happy to start a new game faster.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 06, 2011, 03:31:41 pm »

I'm kinda with olneyce on this, and its one of the reasons playing online isn't half the fun as playing with friends in a real game. I get why, for the sake of efficiency, you dump the game, (don't even bother to congratulate sometimes) and move on to work on your rating. I get the efficiency of that and I even concede that there's no real need to continue, but it certainly is one of the reasons why playing on isotropic is much more sterile experience than playing with friends with a beer and some chips.

I guess it comes down to what you value when playing, for some its clearly to assert dominance on a leader board and to play as many games as possible (and win them hopefully) during the time spent. To some of us, gaming is first and foremost about entertainment and amusement, and those are largely social goals, not competitive ones.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 06, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »
+3

To some of us, gaming is first and foremost about entertainment and amusement,

Exactly, which is why some of us would leave a game that is no longer entertaining or amusing, to start a new one which might be. Not for 'ratings'.

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 06, 2011, 05:59:07 pm »

It's a game. It's satisfying to actually play games out to conclusion.  It's not just about winning; it's about the process of playing. 

I see people tip their king over in chess all the time instead of playing their game to completion when they know they're going to lose.  I don't play competitive chess, but I'm guessing it would be considered rude to keep playing instead of resigning when it's obvious your opponent is going to beat you.

but then, to many people, chess is all about winning and improving your rank...huh

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 06, 2011, 06:05:32 pm »

It's a game. It's satisfying to actually play games out to conclusion.  It's not just about winning; it's about the process of playing. 

I see people tip their king over in chess all the time instead of playing their game to completion when they know they're going to lose.  I don't play competitive chess, but I'm guessing it would be considered rude to keep playing instead of resigning when it's obvious your opponent is going to beat you.

It depends on the situation. If your opponent has launched a mating attack, it's not usually considered rude to play on a couple more moves and let him have his checkmate. If, on the other hand, he's a piece up for nothing and will eventually grind you down in an endgame, it's usually considered a bit discourteous to stretch it out for another 30 moves or so.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »

but then, to many people, chess is all about winning and improving your rank...huh

Sure.  Again, my point was not that resigning is itself the problem.  I just get annoyed when people can't be bothered to mention that they're doing so.  It's just a simple courtesy that communicates the basic message: 'hey, you may be getting some fun out of this, or are learning something about endgames with a big engine, but it's pretty dull on my side so I'm going to check out.'

EDIT: I think the corollary here is that it's a bit rude to keep running out the game to maximize points when you can simply end it on piles or something.  But I would have no problem with someone just saying they would like to play it to the conclusion.  It's the acknowledgement more than the act itself that matters.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:44:08 pm by olneyce »

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 06, 2011, 09:50:58 pm »
+1

I think it is a bit silly and trite to be bothered by someone resigning without explaining themselves.  It is not at all equitable to running up the score when you could end the game in a win.

If you want to see the decline of civility on the internet go read the comment section of any Yahoo political article.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 06, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »

23:33 Mean Mr Mustard: >> Point counter disabled.
23:45 Mean Mr Mustard: u mad
23:46 indomitable: nah just wasting time
23:47 Mean Mr Mustard: why are you wasting my time?\
23:47 indomitable: punishment for winning
23:47 Mean Mr Mustard: i haven't done anything to you
23:48 indomitable: you beat me mean Mean Mr. Mustard
23:48 Mean Mr Mustard: i am reporting you to dougz
23:49 indomitable: like i give a shit. its easy to make a new account
23:50 indomitable: you'll probably honestly help me be more productive
23:50 indomitable: this game wastes too much time
23:50 indomitable: so please do it
23:50 Mean Mr Mustard: nice troll.
23:50 indomitable: trollololololollolololol
23:50 indomitable: how does it feel being powerless?
23:50 Mean Mr Mustard: hah
23:51 indomitable: heh
23:51 Mean Mr Mustard: are you outside my house with a tank?
23:51 Mean Mr Mustard: asshat
23:51 indomitable: as much as i'd like to have access to a tank, unfortunately no
23:52 indomitable: is that a common occurrence where you live? do you live in Afghanistan?
23:53 indomitable: i pity the lifestyle you are forced to lead if you do
23:53 indomitable: anyways gg brosephino
23:53 indomitable has returned to the lobby.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 20 queries.