Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IGG + Gardens Rush  (Read 1538 times)

Dekryr

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
IGG + Gardens Rush
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:46:57 pm »

I don't have the actual log atm but here is the kingdom from what I can remember:

2: chapel
3: ambassador, smugglers
4: salvager, moneylender, gardens
5: IGG, counting house

There were 2 other fives I think but nothing special, no other +buy for sure. I won this game and got a 5/2 opening. It is obvious that IGG - gardens rush is superior here. My question is how to optimally go about it? 5/2 should be IGG, copper right? What about 4/3? Double smugglers? Smugglers/silver? And then how quickly do you start grabbing gardens. I think you want 2 smugglers and silver won't hurt.  Should every 4 be gardens and anything over 5 be IGG? Would you consider counting house at some point to spike a Province, I guess if you lose the Gardens race this is a good play?

So lots of questions. I really wonder if even a Gardens/Smugglers open could work. So basically I'm interested to hear thoughts about when to start grabbing gardens and how many smugglers to get and when.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
Re: IGG + Gardens Rush
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »

I don't have the actual log atm but here is the kingdom from what I can remember:

2: chapel
3: ambassador, smugglers
4: salvager, moneylender, gardens
5: IGG, counting house

There were 2 other fives I think but nothing special, no other +buy for sure. I won this game and got a 5/2 opening. It is obvious that IGG - gardens rush is superior here. My question is how to optimally go about it? 5/2 should be IGG, copper right? What about 4/3? Double smugglers? Smugglers/silver? And then how quickly do you start grabbing gardens. I think you want 2 smugglers and silver won't hurt.  Should every 4 be gardens and anything over 5 be IGG? Would you consider counting house at some point to spike a Province, I guess if you lose the Gardens race this is a good play?

So lots of questions. I really wonder if even a Gardens/Smugglers open could work. So basically I'm interested to hear thoughts about when to start grabbing gardens and how many smugglers to get and when.

I don't think IGG is necessarily strong on this board, with chapel and ambassador lurking. I guess if all of the missing kingdom cards were totally terrible, then it might be. Still if my opponent didn't open with a chapel or an ambassador, I'd be pretty tempted to open chapel/silver, trash aggressively, then buy and salvage IGGs for provinces.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:58:49 pm »
+1

Still pretty sure IGG/gardens rush is the best option here by a landslide. 5/2 has to be IGG/copper. 3/4 is trickier. You want a silver and as second player probably a smuggler, assuming you expect a mirror match. As first player I might get one anyway. Then start with a few IGG's. If it is a mirror, start dipping into the gardens a bit early, if it isn't get a couple extra IGG's.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »

It may go without saying, but I would also gain the extra Copper every time with IGG in a Gardens rush.
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:04:55 pm »
+1

I don't think IGG is necessarily strong on this board, with chapel and ambassador lurking.

In a Gardens rush with Coppers flooding in from IGG, I would welcome my opponent spend the first several turns passing me cards (especially Coppers).  Ambassador would be a terrible response to an IGG/Gardens rush, in my mind.
Well you *do* need a signature...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:55:43 pm »

I tried to put this through the simulator and the smuggler kept smuggling copper instead of gardens, so I can't tell you much. Maybe take 1 silver and smuggler before buying gardens, although you're probably not far wrong if you buy gardens immediately. There's probably no time to buy a counting house since you'd always want a gardens ahead of the counting house and when the gardens run out there might be only a handful of igg purchases left to end the game.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:07:53 pm »
+1

As first player opening 4/3, I'd probably open double Silver and get Smugglers on the reshuffle if I don't hit 5/5 (which I probably won't). The chance of not hitting $5 at all with Silver/Smugglers is just too scary for me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.