Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118089 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #425 on: August 02, 2016, 12:08:59 am »
+2

I love the Alola forms - I'm somewhat disappointed the sandshrew doesn't keep its ground type at least as a secondary type, but they all look amazing.

I dislike Z-moves for the same reason I dislike Mega-evolutions, but I can't really explain why. Just not my style.

The dancing bird is cool, as is the donkey pokemon - I hope they'll be good.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 02, 2016, 01:19:41 am »
+1

Is "Snowslash" already common?  I've been calling it that with friends.  Also Icetails, but I feel like we could do better.

Is the leak the one with the starter evo sketches that include one of the captains?  Because man, I do not like that Litten evolution design.

The donkey probably won't be so good since it evolves.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 02, 2016, 01:25:06 am »
+1

Yeah, that's the leak. At least the final Litten evolution will supposedly be fire/dark, not fire/fighting, but still, the art isn't that exciting to me, at least compared to what it could have been.

The archer Rowlet evolution looks really cool though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 03, 2016, 03:28:29 pm »

I love the Alola forms - I'm somewhat disappointed the sandshrew doesn't keep its ground type at least as a secondary type, but they all look amazing.

I dislike Z-moves for the same reason I dislike Mega-evolutions, but I can't really explain why. Just not my style.

The dancing bird is cool, as is the donkey pokemon - I hope they'll be good.

I love Mega-Evolutions for the same reason I love the Alolan forms: they give new life to old Pokémon, usually in an awesome new way. Z-Moves I'm not excited about. I'm hoping that you can use either one Mega Evolution or one Z-Move per battle.

Is "Snowslash" already common?  I've been calling it that with friends.  Also Icetails, but I feel like we could do better.

It's somewhat common. I'm guessing the competitive community will land on "Sandslash-A", "Ninetales-A", etc.

Is the leak the one with the starter evo sketches that include one of the captains?  Because man, I do not like that Litten evolution design.

I don't think that's the same leak, though the leak you mention is almost guaranteed to be real. I also don't love Litten's final form, but I'm not really upset; I was going to choose Rowlet anyway, and Rowlet's final form looks amazing.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 05, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »

Apparently on Smogon, "wishlisting" is prohibited. So here, on this non-fascist website, is my wishlist for 1st-gen Pokémon that I hope get Alolan forms.

Butterfree
Raticate
*Fearow (has lived far too long in the shadow of e.g. Staraptor)
Arbok (to differentiate it from Seviper)
Nidqueen and Nidoking (ideally to differentiate them further from each other)
Parasect
Persian
*Primeape
Golem (or a Mega Evolution, I'm not picky)
Farfetch'd (a Mega Evolution couldn't hold a Stick)
Dodrio (see Fearow)
Dewgong (to differentiate it from Walrein)
Hypno (needs a good niche, preferably a cool new Ability that ties into Hypnosis)
Kingler (maybe just adding another type to make it more special)
Jynx

* Fearow and Primeape’s normal forms have been shown in trailers, so it’s unlikely they have Alolan forms.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:40:33 pm by LastFootnote »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2016, 07:23:29 am »
+1

While there aren't any codified rules here, I think posting the exact same thing 4 times in a row is still frowned upon.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 07, 2016, 09:09:28 am »

While there aren't any codified rules here, I think posting the exact same thing 4 times in a row is still frowned upon.

Yes, that was a strange artifact of forum downtime and browser caching, I believe. Fixed.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 07, 2016, 09:34:18 am »
+2

LF broke f.DS! His attempts to erase history won't erase his crime!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 07, 2016, 09:38:38 am »
+1

Yes, that was a strange artifact of forum downtime and browser caching, I believe. Fixed.

Those Smogon fascists would give you one warning per duplicate post :P
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 07, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
+1

Your emoji indicates a joke, but that sounds 100% accurate.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 07, 2016, 03:36:14 pm »
+1

Your emoji indicates a joke, but that sounds 100% accurate.

In my Smogon heyday, I racked up 25 infractions. Granted, I was like, 14-16 years old and a general pedantic asshole piece of shit back then, but a third of those ended up being overturned anyway. It really was a very moderation heavy place, with lots of subjectivity and double standards where members with badges would be less prone to warnings. Not sure what it's like these days.

bug me on discord

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 07, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »
+1

Apparently on Smogon, "wishlisting" is prohibited. So here, on this non-fascist website, is my wishlist for 1st-gen Pokémon that I hope get Alolan forms.

Butterfree
Raticate
Fearow and Dodrio (they've lived far too long in the shadow of e.g. Staraptor)
Parasect
Persian
Primeape
Hypno (needs a good niche, preferably a cool new Ability that ties into Hypnosis)
Jynx

Do you think they'll restrict Alolan forms to first gen only?  As their mascot, do you think Pikachu is more likely to get an Alolan form, or less?  I'd kind of like an Alolan Victreebel.  The Oddish line got Bellossom as a special thing, but the Bellsprout line is kind of generic, even though it's one of my favourite Kanto lines.

I've seen some neat fan ideas for Alolan forms.  A volcanic island Lapras was one of my favourites.  A hula Jynx concept was also very interesting.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 07, 2016, 08:17:23 pm »

Butterfree
Raticate
Fearow and Dodrio (they've lived far too long in the shadow of e.g. Staraptor)
Parasect
Persian
Primeape
Jynx

Do you think they'll restrict Alolan forms to first gen only?  As their mascot, do you think Pikachu is more likely to get an Alolan form, or less?  I'd kind of like an Alolan Victreebel.  The Oddish line got Bellossom as a special thing, but the Bellsprout line is kind of generic, even though it's one of my favourite Kanto lines.

I've seen some neat fan ideas for Alolan forms.  A volcanic island Lapras was one of my favourites.  A hula Jynx concept was also very interesting.

I'm not sure whether they'll be first-gen only. I mean probably not, but there's reasons to go either way.

I've just updated my "wishlist" post with the latest version (I was deleting carelessly after I realized I had posted four times). As I've noted, Fearow and Primeape's normal forms have been shown in trailers for Sun and Moon, so chances are good they won't get Alolan forms. The same applies to Lapras, unfortunately.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 09, 2016, 12:39:55 pm »
+1

Alolan Meowth (Dark) and Alolan Marowak (Fire/Ghost) confirmed.

I hope Alolan Persian has an additional type. We already have a Dark-type Persian in the game; it's called Liepard.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2016, 03:07:18 am »
+3

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 10, 2016, 03:32:34 am »

It's growing on me, actually.

BTW, how do alolan forms relate to their original forms? They are basically completely new pokemons, from a practical point of view, no?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 10, 2016, 11:21:09 am »
+3

It's growing on me, actually.

BTW, how do alolan forms relate to their original forms? They are basically completely new pokemons, from a practical point of view, no?

It seems that way. There was a 2013 interview shortly after XY released where Ken Sugimori mentioned that there were getting to be too many Pokemon to remember them all, do having regional forms may be their solution. It's like a new Pokemon, but the familiarity makes it easier to track.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 10, 2016, 06:32:50 pm »

As their mascot, do you think Pikachu is more likely to get an Alolan form, or less?

New leaks suggest that the answer was "more likely".

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 10, 2016, 06:54:56 pm »

As their mascot, do you think Pikachu is more likely to get an Alolan form, or less?

I disagree. Regular Pikachu has been shown in trailers. Alolan Raichu does look cool, though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 10, 2016, 07:53:42 pm »
+1

I disagree. Regular Pikachu has been shown in trailers. Alolan Raichu does look cool, though.

You don't think there will be Alolan Pikachu and Pichu to match?  I guess that's possible, but I think Alolan Pikachu is still more likely with the existence of Alolan Raichu.  It's possible that Pikachu will be special in having both Alolan and regular forms in Alola, or maybe the regular Pikachu is earlier trailers was a red herring or an accident or something.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:54 pm »
+1

You don't think there will be Alolan Pikachu and Pichu to match?  I guess that's possible, but I think Alolan Pikachu is still more likely with the existence of Alolan Raichu.  It's possible that Pikachu will be special in having both Alolan and regular forms in Alola, or maybe the regular Pikachu is earlier trailers was a red herring or an accident or something.

It's not just earlier trailers. The latest trailer (not counting the one that's leaking now) makes prominent use of Pikachu (for demonstrating Z-Moves).

I will bet you one deluxe fully trained non-legendary Pokémon that Pikachu will not have an Alola Form. It might get an additional cosplay outfit or something of that nature, but not an actual Alola Form. I mean Exeggcute doesn't have one, so it's not unprecedented that only part of an evolutionary line gets one. And I really can't imagine them wanting to mess with the look of their mascot.

I take back what I said earlier about Dark-type Persian being too close to Liepard. STAB Technician Bite is nifty, especially if Alolan Persian has a higher Attack than Persian Prime.

Fire/Ghost Marowak can still have Lightning Rod! That's pretty cool. Cursed Body is also a fun ability.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 11, 2016, 01:06:14 am »
+1

It's not just earlier trailers. The latest trailer (not counting the one that's leaking now) makes prominent use of Pikachu (for demonstrating Z-Moves).

I will bet you one deluxe fully trained non-legendary Pokémon that Pikachu will not have an Alola Form. It might get an additional cosplay outfit or something of that nature, but not an actual Alola Form. I mean Exeggcute doesn't have one, so it's not unprecedented that only part of an evolutionary line gets one. And I really can't imagine them wanting to mess with the look of their mascot.

I take back what I said earlier about Dark-type Persian being too close to Liepard. STAB Technician Bite is nifty, especially if Alolan Persian has a higher Attack than Persian Prime.

Fire/Ghost Marowak can still have Lightning Rod! That's pretty cool. Cursed Body is also a fun ability.

I'm not taking that bet, but I don't think it's clear one way or the other.  Basic Pikachu could still have been a red herring.  Is it confirmed that Exeggcute won't have an Alolan form?  It might just not be revealed yet.  As I said earlier, I don't know whether the mascot status makes an Alolan Pikachu more or less likely.  I could see it going either way.  With Alolan Raichu being a thing, I think it's more likely now than it was before.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 12, 2016, 01:38:52 am »
+1

Basic Pikachu could still have been a red herring.  Is it confirmed that Exeggcute won't have an Alolan form?  It might just not be revealed yet.  As I said earlier, I don't know whether the mascot status makes an Alolan Pikachu more or less likely.  I could see it going either way.  With Alolan Raichu being a thing, I think it's more likely now than it was before.

The Japanese trailers show (or rather very strongly imply) that regular Exeggcute evolves into Alolan Exeggutor, regular Cubone evolves into Alolan Marowak, and regular Pikachu evolves into Alolan Raichu. That doesn't totally preclude Alola Forms for those unevolved Pokémon, but it makes extremely unlikely.

On a related note, now I'm worried that Persian won't have an Alolan Form. Why wouldn't they have shown it along with Meowth?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 15, 2016, 03:42:49 pm »

While I'm wishlisting, here are the things Pokémon needs to do in order to win back my heart.

• Turn order should be recalculated mid-turn as needed. At minimum, turn order should be recalculated after mega evolution changes Pokémons' Speed stats and Abilities. Mega Beedrill and Mega Banette shouldn't have to run Protect in order to make sure they live through the first turn.

• Weather-changing Abilities (Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream, Snow Warning) should last 2 turns instead of 5. Maybe 3 turns. It's just such an enormous boost, especially in Doubles. Like, there's absolutely no reason to ever use weather-changing moves over these abilities, and that really limits which Pokémon you can use on a weather-based team.

• There should be an Ability Tutor, which can teach your Pokémon any Ability it could have, including Hidden Abilities. Barring this, there should be fairly easy access to every Pokémon's Hidden Ability.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 15, 2016, 03:53:29 pm »

2 turn weather would be competitively entirely useless in Singles. I think 5/8 turn is a reasonable compromise. Sure you can't use literally anything as a weather setter.

Agreed that changing ability should be easy.

bug me on discord

they/them
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.