Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118087 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
So Pokemon X and Y.
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »

I think I'll probably be acquiring a 3DS sometime before October now.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:40:38 pm »

Same here. I'd be getting one no matter how the games looked, but the trailer actually has me really excited to play! And a global release means I won't see all the new pokemon beforehand. I'm shamelessly excited about going through the game and seeing new pokemon for the first time. That's never happened.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:18:13 pm »

I already have a 3DS. and will probably be picking this up.

I'm dissapointed in the starters though. The grass one is unique but I don't like it, the water one well we've seen frogs a billion times and they're always water type, and the fox is what I'll probably take but its just a new Vulpix.

It'd be nice if they switched the starter types this generation. They could maintain the type Rock Paper Scissors even with Fighting/Psychic/Dark.   One day I'll get to pick a ghost type to start.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:34:54 pm »

Surprised that they announced gen VI before doing a gen III remake.  I guess that will come with gen VI, 3D as well.

I don't have a 3DS yet -- still on DS Lite.  But I'll have to pick one up.

I'm dissapointed in the starters though. The grass one is unique but I don't like it, the water one well we've seen frogs a billion times and they're always water type, and the fox is what I'll probably take but its just a new Vulpix.

It'd be nice if they switched the starter types this generation. They could maintain the type Rock Paper Scissors even with Fighting/Psychic/Dark.   One day I'll get to pick a ghost type to start.

I'm waiting to see the evolutions first.  I'd probably take the fox as well, if only because I like the kitsune concept in general but wasn't really a fan of Vulpix/Ninetales.

I agree that a type change would be nice, but Fighting/Psychic/Dark isn't balanced because Dark is not just resistant to Psychic but fully immune.  A workable triangle would be Fighting/Rock/Flying.  Two more are Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground, but those dip into the original three.  There aren't any triangles other than these, I think.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »

Surprised that they announced gen VI before doing a gen III remake.  I guess that will come with gen VI, 3D as well.

I'm waiting to see the evolutions first.  I'd probably take the fox as well, if only because I like the kitsune concept in general but wasn't really a fan of Vulpix/Ninetales.

I agree that a type change would be nice, but Fighting/Psychic/Dark isn't balanced because Dark is not just resistant to Psychic but fully immune.  A workable triangle would be Fighting/Rock/Flying.  Two more are Fire/Rock/Steel and Grass/Poison/Ground, but those dip into the original three.  There aren't any triangles other than these, I think.

Electric/Ground/Flying, which I'd personally like to see done.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:52:31 pm »

Electric/Ground/Flying, which I'd personally like to see done.

But that one is also imbalanced, since Ground is immune to Electric, not resistant.

Edit: And Flying is immune to ground... so I guess the problem is that Electric is not immune to Flying.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:53:35 pm by eHalcyon »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:21 pm »
+3

Here's the list of all the imperfect triangles, id.est., A is very effective against B, B is very effective against C, C is very effective against A. Took me a while to find it out, I'm sure it has been done already, but oh well:
-fire/grass/water
-fire/ice/ground
-fire/steel/rock
-fire/grass/rock
-fire/grass/ground
-water/ground/electric (immunity)
-grass/ground/poison
-grass/rock/ice
-ice/flying/fighting
-grass/rock/flying
-ice/ground/rock
-ice/ground/steel
-grass/rock/flying
-grass/rock/bug
-fighting/rock/flying
-fighting/dark/psychic (immunity)

If you also want to have A is very resistant against B, B is very resistant against C, C is very resistant against A, then you are left with only:
-fire/grass/water
-fire/steel/rock
-grass/ground/poison
-fighting/rock/flying

So, if you don't want to repeat any type, fighting-rock-flying it is!

EDIT: this gets more difficult with dual types. If I was bored enough, I could write a small script to find perfect dual-type triangles, but you know...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:00:21 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »

By the looks of some of the moves in the trailer Chespin may be dark and Fennikin Psychic (at their final evolution) so if Froakie is fighting it could be a reverse type triangle.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:11 pm »

The speculation I like the most so far is that the region is European and will be influenced by Norse mythology.  Consider that the legendaries are a stag and a bird of some sort, and that both of these are among those connected to Yggdrasil:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Creatures live within Yggdrasil, including the wyrm (dragon) Níđhöggr, an unnamed eagle, and the stags Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraţrór.

A Nidhogg based Z legendary would be cool.

I quite like both legendaries.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »

Hooray, there are now two 3DS games I'm looking forward to: This in October, and Fire Emblem Awakening in April.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:11:40 pm »

So now I need to catch up on 4th gen, 5th gen, and 6th gen when it comes out.

Well then...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:12:12 am »

I'll get this. Up until now, I don't really feel like there has been a reason to get a 3DS (although I preemptively bought one) game-wise. I heard about 6th gen yesterday. And I'm quite excited. I'll probably try to not get any more knowledge of the game before it's released and play it with fresh eyes. Maybe keep myself in the loop regarding mechanic changes, since it would suck to be surprised by something like the physical/special split without knowing it. This mainly has to do with me having read a lot of mechanics before and I hate to "know" stuff that ain't true anymore.

Also, I'm not going to choose the grassawott, and we have a running joke in our group that frogs are bad. And the fire fox seems like the monster Ninetales never was. And I do like my Ninetales.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:36 am »
+1

What's a Pokemon?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:35:56 am »

IT'S PIKACHU!!!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »
+1

So here's pretty much my reaction to mega evolutions so far:

GameFreak: We've introduced a new type of evolution: Mega Evolutions! Including Mega Mawile, Ampharos, and Absol!
Me: Wow, so it's a way to give a boost to underpowered Pokémon without giving them a whole new evolution. Sounds like a cool balancing mechanism! Maybe they're be a greater variety of viable Pokémon!
GameFreak: You can only have one mega evolution at a time, though.
Me: Oh. Well, that's not so bad. I didn't really need to have a team of Mawile/Ampharos/Absol/Kangaskhan/Torkoal/Delibird. It'll still help push variety.
GameFreak: And you have to activate mega evolutions in battle so that we can show a cool animation!
Me: Soooo…by the time my Mawile mega-evolves and gets better defensive stats, it'll already be mostly dead. Wait, what?
GameFreak: Mega evolutions are meant to boost a Pokémon's power to legendary status!
Me: So what you're really telling me is that every team is going to consist of five legendaries picked from a pool of 40 Pokémon and then one mega-evolved Pokémon. I guess that…could be worse?
GameFreak: Introducing Mega Garchomp! It has greatly increased Attack and Special Attack stats!
Me: Fuck you, GameFreak. Fuck you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »

FWIW, the game demo showed that you can mega evolve and attack on the same turn.

I never liked using legendary pokemon because it felt cheap, but there are legendaries who get placed in UU tier too. Saying "legendary" doesn't actually say much.

I'll mostly be favouring new pokemon so Ipprobably won't be using the mega evolution mechanic in my play through.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 09:36:50 pm »
+3

FWIW, the game demo showed that you can mega evolve and attack on the same turn.

Sure, but that still means a slow Pokémon takes a hit before its stats get boosted.

I never liked using legendary pokemon because it felt cheap, but there are legendaries who get placed in UU tier too. Saying "legendary" doesn't actually say much.

That's an artifact of the bizarre way that Smogonites play Pokémon.

Maybe bizarre is too extreme, but it's certainly not how GameFreak thinks the game is meant to be played. It seems natural, though, right? Six Pokémon fit on an in-game team and Single Battles are the de facto standard format, so 6v6 Single Battles should be the normal way to play, right? And yet, you'll notice that every Battle Tower-esque format in the game uses 3v3 for Single Battles. All the console battling games do too. Huh.

When you have six Pokémon on your team, you have a very good chance of having a Pokémon to "counter" whatever your opponent brings out. Teams are built around this very idea of covering all your defensive bases. As a result, 6v6 Single Battles are crazy switch-fests. You and your opponent dance around each other, trying to whittle down the Pokémon or two that stand in the way of your sweeper, which you then bring in and clean house. In a 3v3 battle, you can't afford to do that. But in 6v6 battles, this tends to skew in favor of Pokémon that fulfill one specific role very well, leaving more well-rounded Pokémon in the dust. That's one of the two reasons that certain legendaries don't see play in OU.

Enter Stealth Rock. Because switching is so incredibly prevalent in 6v6 Singles, entry hazards are very powerful. Stealth Rock is the quickest to set up and also the strongest, and as a result almost every team has a Pokémon to set up Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock just destroys Pokémon that are weak to Rock-type attacks. This means that several entire types of Pokémon are rare or non-existent in OU. (It also reinforces the whole switch-to-a-counter game, since there are fewer bases to cover.) That's the other reason that certain legendaries aren't used in OU.

Entei is a perfect example. In a 3v3 environment, Entei is a beast. It hits like a truck, can take a beating, and is a good bit faster than the average Pokémon. In Smogon and Serebii's 6v6 game, it can't even cut it in UU. It's a sick joke.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:32:16 pm by LastFootnote »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 09:42:45 pm »

Stealth Rock is one of the biggest reasons I can't take competitive Pokemon seriously at all anymore.  It has no (good) counters, makes a ton of monsters non-viable, and it's on lots of monsters that were already good without it.  The fact that they didn't nerf it at all on Gen 5 is telling that Game Freak doesn't understand the core game at a high level.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »

Stealth Rock is one of the biggest reasons I can't take competitive Pokemon seriously at all anymore.  It has no (good) counters, makes a ton of monsters non-viable, and it's on lots of monsters that were already good without it.  The fact that they didn't nerf it at all on Gen 5 is telling that Game Freak doesn't understand the core game at a high level.

Wow, it's like you didn't even read my post. GameFreak doesn't care about the 6v6 metagame. In their intended 3v3 metagame, Stealth Rock is completely reasonable. You'd pretty much only have it on a team that revolved around PHazing.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 09:51:32 pm »

Wow, it's like you didn't even read my post. GameFreak doesn't care about the 6v6 metagame. In their intended 3v3 metagame, Stealth Rock is completely reasonable. You'd pretty much only have it on a team that revolved around PHazing.
I read your post.  I agree with it.  That doesn't make Stealth Rock any less ridiculous, I'm sorry.  People have complained about it since Gen 4 and they didn't address it at all.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 10:00:50 pm »

I'd be getting it, but I stopped after I lost my good pokemon on white.
I feel so guilty about it though, maybe I'll go for it anyway.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »

I read your post.  I agree with it.  That doesn't make Stealth Rock any less ridiculous, I'm sorry.  People have complained about it since Gen 4 and they didn't address it at all.

Agreed. But that's because it's only overpowered in a metagame that they don't support. I agree that it should be less swingy, though. Like maybe it could top out at dealing 1/4 of a target's HP in damage rather than 1/2? Perhaps they'll change it in 6th gen. Fingers crossed.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 10:05:00 pm »

I think the best way to handle it (aside from weakening it) is to make it wear off over time and also add similar attacks of other elements, maybe something that can actually hurt Steel.

I heard Steel is losing Ghost and Dark resistance; that's a step in the right direction.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 10:39:55 pm »

I think the best way to handle it (aside from weakening it) is to make it wear off over time and also add similar attacks of other elements, maybe something that can actually hurt Steel.

I heard Steel is losing Ghost and Dark resistance; that's a step in the right direction.

Yeah. I really wish they'd tone down Water types. Three types are strong against Water attacks: Grass, Dragon, and Water itself. Grass and Dragon are weak against Ice, which EVERY SINGLE WATER TYPE HAS ACCESS TO. So if you want something strong against Water, you need your own Water type. It's maddening.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:01:56 am by LastFootnote »

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 11:18:12 pm »

I read they're also adding a "Fairy" type, right? Anybody know how that will affect the balance? I stopped playing after Blue, so even Dark and Steel are exotic and unfamiliar to me.

It does look really cool though.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.