Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Self-cursing cards  (Read 3222 times)

roriconfan

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Self-cursing cards
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »

disclaimer: I am new to the forum and I have no idea if this has already a topic. Delete it or merge it if it has.

How about a deck of cards that curse you (not others) when you buy them or use them?

They can be exact copies of already existing cards mechanics, only that they will cost 2 coins less when you buy them.
Example: Cursed Village, Action, cost:1, +1 Card, +2 Actions, When you buy this, gain a Curse token.

Or they can cost 3 coins less and curse you every time you use them?
Demonic Contract, Action, cost: 4, Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to 3 coins more than the trashed card. Gain a Curse token.

The result is a game more dependent on gathering Victories and Actions, and less on Treasures (although there can be cursed Treasure cards you can buy cheeper, like Cursed Gold with a cost of 4).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:49:07 am by roriconfan »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Self-cursing cards
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:35:59 pm »

It has been discussed before, but it's an interesting idea.

Do you mean Curse cards or tokens like what Monument etc give you? I think either way could be interesting. Obviously the advantage of Curse cards is that you can get rid of them, and they run out, and the advantage of tokens is that they don't clog up your deck.

roriconfan

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:47:38 am »

Tokens of curse (lol). If it was cards, you can easily trash them and thus everybody would go for those (not to mention the curse pile would run out after a few turns and all the rest of the times you buy/use them wouldn't even have a negative effect).

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:04:18 am »

Sidenote: This can be done without using additional, new tokens by letting each opponent gain a victory token.

roriconfan

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:01:58 pm »

Or any piece of old useless paper with a few dots on it as scoreboard

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »

Here's more on that idea:  Solving the Good Curse Card problem.

A summary of my own take on this:

(1) Gaining Curse cards on purchase or on use is broken because once the Curses run out, you can freely run amok.
(2) Gaining Curse tokens on purchase is better but likely impossible to balance, since a fixed number of negative VP is going to be hugely significant in some games, nothing at all in others, and "just right" on altogether too few.  No matter what the actual number of curse tokens is.
(3) Gaining Curse tokens on PLAYING the card seems to work.  Presumably this is because this causes the VP penalty to scale in proportion to the benefit you get out of the card.  In that other thread, I proposed two such cards, one in the original post and one later on.  I've playtested both quite a bit by this point, and they seem to be just fine.  Maybe they're still a touch too strong, but not far off.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 01:20:36 pm »

Cards that gain Curse tokens on being played might interact... interestingly... with Possession.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:21:39 pm »

Hahaha.  Never even thought of that one.  Sweet.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 01:36:20 pm »

Yeah but you just wouldn't buy them in Possession games.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »

Tokens of curse (lol). If it was cards, you can easily trash them and thus everybody would go for those (not to mention the curse pile would run out after a few turns and all the rest of the times you buy/use them wouldn't even have a negative effect).

Actually, I think in the early game, a Curse would usually be much more of a deterrent than a token.  Of course the Curse pile running out would be a problem, unless it said something like:

'Have a small benefit. (You may?) Gain a Curse. If you do, have a larger benefit.'

roriconfan

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 02:54:46 am »

I don't like the optional benefit/cursing idea. It renders useless a lot of cards than may be identical in use outside the optional power. And anyways, a semi-cursed sword doesn't sound that scary, does it now? We have a flavor to keep in mind too.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 20 queries.