Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: We don't need no STEEENKING tournaments!  (Read 1538 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
We don't need no STEEENKING tournaments!
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:41:26 pm »
+2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/07/game-20130107-201734-ee4e049d.html
Embargo, Fishing Village, King's Court, Market, Merchant Ship, Outpost, Pearl Diver, Tournament, Warehouse, and Wharf

So, I ignore tournament and it pays off big time. Well, sorta. In this game, my opponent, if he'd have taken diadem instead of a duchy, could have prize-fought me (incidentally, this would have been the third prize-fighter of the day for me, as TheSadPanda and I did it to each other in CONSECUTIVE GAMES that were very lopsided). But I am able to win anyway. What's the lesson here? Well, don't ignore such a big big big engine - wharf and FV he goes for a bit, but then he stops building, and actually only ever gets two king's courts. Meanwhile, I build and build and build and build. Well, with KC, Wharf, FV, Merchant ship for big coin, outpost, who isn't going engine here? I am able to come back on the strength of a LOT of duchies, though probably if he had built a little more, or maybe had a little better luck, or.... well, anyway, it's always fun to have a big comeback like this

Jiriki

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: We don't need no STEEENKING tournaments!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »

Was shocked I didn't hold on with getting to Followers and Steed relatively quickly. Was impressed by the come back. 

Never even got to use my KC. Only bought them because I fell 1 short of 8 twice, and thought since I was stalling out the duchy-estate buy would only speed up the stalling out, but hitting 1 KC would let me grab the last province I needed to clinch. However I would've held on had I gone the duchy + estate route, or gotten 1 more coin either of the two turns.

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 04:18:34 pm »

Hmmm... this is interesting. I wonder if this is more because your opponent built up too little though... I mean, I understand that buying provinces means not buying KC's, but KC+prizes seem like they have a lot of potential. I mean KC-followers is a 6 point swing by itself. Like you said diadem could give a heck of a lot of money too. I guess though that KC/Wharf is a HUGE game, and you want to hit it as often and early as possible.

How sure are you that skipping tourney first turn was the right move?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:34:41 pm »

Hmmm... this is interesting. I wonder if this is more because your opponent built up too little though... I mean, I understand that buying provinces means not buying KC's, but KC+prizes seem like they have a lot of potential. I mean KC-followers is a 6 point swing by itself. Like you said diadem could give a heck of a lot of money too. I guess though that KC/Wharf is a HUGE game, and you want to hit it as often and early as possible.

How sure are you that skipping tourney first turn was the right move?
Oh, it absolutely is because he built too little. You may want one early province, but not more.
Skipping tournament off the bat - no I'm not sure. But I do tend to like silver+FV on FV+Wharf boards, trying to get as many wharves as possible.
I actually don't think diadem is worth much here, nor bag of gold. Princess is huge, followers and Steed are fairly big.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:13 am »

I actually don't think diadem is worth much here, nor bag of gold. Princess is huge, followers and Steed are fairly big.

If Diadem "isn't worth much" with KC and villages that you're going to buy anyway (FV; also cantrips like Market and Tournament are nice KC fodder) and a bunch of +Buy (Wharf), when *is* it worth a lot?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:01:35 am »

If Diadem "isn't worth much" with KC and villages that you're going to buy anyway (FV; also cantrips like Market and Tournament are nice KC fodder) and a bunch of +Buy (Wharf), when *is* it worth a lot?
Very rarely. But usually, on the last turn when you need an influx of buying power right now to finish off the pile(s) you need. But the problem is, you'd rather spend those extra actions on one of the many very good terminals, particularly the money-producing ones.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.