Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A New Kind of Pin  (Read 14639 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
A New Kind of Pin
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:16:43 am »
+27

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. -J. Robert Oppenheimer

Masquerade? Discard attacks? Don't need them. What if I told you there exists a pin which requires you to increase your opponent's hand size? Crazy? Perhaps. True? Absolutely. Practical? Probably not.

The key cards are Possession, Forge, and Governor/Council room. A King's Court won't hurt either. Can you find it? Spoilers for those who want to try on their own.

The pin works by a quirky little rule interaction (HT: greatexpectations for pointing it out to me). A new 5 card hand is drawn during the clean-up phase. Cards trashed while possessed don't return until after your turn, AFTER you've drawn your 5 card hand. See it now? The idea is simple. Have your opponent draw his entire deck with Governor/Council room (that's where KC comes in handy). One of his cards has to be a Forge. Play possession. Forge away his entire deck. During his possessed clean up phase, he can only draw Forge. That's the only card in his deck. Only after clean-up is the rest of his deck returned to him. At best he can gain 2 Coppers.

And now next time you see a board of KC, Governor, Forge, Possession you will be ready to destroy someone's world.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
Re: A New Kind of Pin
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:20:52 am »

Draw their whole deck with your Governors/CRs, play their Forge, trash everything. In their cleanup, they draw just a Forge. The rest of their "trashed" cards go to their discard pile after cleanup.

edit: wooo got it
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:43:46 am »

Wow! That's what I'm talking about. If I ever pull that off, I will be impressed. Although, I imagine my opponent would have a few not-so-kind words of wisdom to offer me.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:52:15 am »

I almost suggested Count instead of Forge, but an opponent can still gain Duchies on his gimped turn.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:16:22 am »

Tested it on Iso. It unfortunately doesn't work. I think it's because of Iso doing the rules wrong instead of the pin not working. Although the log says what the possessed player draws before saying what trashed cards are discarded, the possessed player still draws a full hand of 5.

Will edit in log later.

EDIT: Nevermind, it works. The problem was that I had played Governors that the possessed player had. The actions played that turn don't get trashed, so they get discarded on time.

See the last couple turns of http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/07/game-20130107-232546-f9d3dba7.html.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:26:14 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:24:50 am »
+1

Gotta remember this for the 1 in a gazillion chance that I actually happen across this kingdom, waiting to spring the trap until my opponent gets a Forge.  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:27:54 am »
+1

This just raises the question... how many other undiscovered pins are lurking out there in the darkness? Scary stuff.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:36:16 am »
+2

I also suppose this isn't always a true pin even when the conditions are met, because an opponent can just buy Coppers, Forge nothing -> Copper and bloat up his deck until it can no longer be drawn by opponent Governors or CRs.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 02:38:00 am »

Awesome.  Love to see crazy stuff like this.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:40:06 am »

I also suppose this isn't always a true pin even when the conditions are met, because an opponent can just buy Coppers, Forge nothing -> Copper and bloat up his deck until it can no longer be drawn by opponent Governors or CRs.
True, though this pin has the advantage of letting you play your whole deck every turn as you enact it.  Seems like you should be able to win in a couple turns anyways.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:46:41 am »

Well, just throw an Ambassador and a Village in there to make the kingdom even more specific.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:56 am »

I never buy Forge anyway, so I guess I'm safe.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 08:31:30 am »
+1

I'll just Ambassador you one or Swindle your King's Court. :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:44 am »

Hooray for Lighthouse.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:27 am »
+1

Hooray for Lighthouse.
Hooray for Masquerade?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:33 am »

Hooray for Lighthouse.
Hooray for Masquerade?

So now we've got Forge, Possession, Governor, Ambassador, Lighthouse, and Masquerade in the same kingdom?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:42 am »

It's neat, but there's problems with it. Assuming that it takes maybe 10 or so turns to build the deck... by this time your opponent has at least 20 cards in his deck. (15 not in his hand already). Getting him to draw his entire deck with Governor and Council Room is all but impossible; KC does indeed help, but you're still talking about building the type of deck that can get in 15 plays of Governor/Council Room per turn. This is quite a monster deck that should be winning quite easily without Possession.

The other problem is that you aren't guaranteed to be able to execute it every turn. Eventually you'll draw a hand that can't play out the combo; especially if you are buying victory cards or money on your turns.

Finally, any VP your opponent gets before you get the combo going will remain his. KC/Masq is so powerful because even if your opponent gets 7 Provinces before you get it going; you still win once it's going.

All that said, it is quite neat!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 09:13:38 am »

One of the brutal things about the classic kc/goons/masq pin is that you have a long time to build it.  Even if your opponent has 7 Colonies and 7 Provinces, you will destroy their entire deck and so can win the game with just your VP tokens.  This pin does not destroy your opponent's deck, and so it needs to be done before they earn a majority of the available points.
Well you *do* need a signature...

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:43 pm »
+2

a few of you are taking this a little too seriously. no one is suggesting that this is going to replace kc/goons/masq, just that it is a new way to go about pinning someone. basically, it is a different presentation for one of our famous edge case puzzles. but even on a "failed" turn, this pin could easily leave someone with just a 2-3 card hand.

this sort of came about because of a game i played this weekend. i went for a golden deck against a very low level player and they went for a possession engine. they didn't realize that trashing the province gave me points, but what i didn't realize was that them trashing my province interrupted my golden deck by preventing me from hitting $8 to buy another province.

so while a real life application of this is going to be even more rare than the kc/goons/masq pin, the general concept of drawing before possession returns trashed cards could still have tactical effects on the occasional game.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:22:15 pm »

Nice work Jonts, clever
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:38 pm »

a few of you are taking this a little too seriously. no one is suggesting that this is going to replace kc/goons/masq, just that it is a new way to go about pinning someone. basically, it is a different presentation for one of our famous edge case puzzles. but even on a "failed" turn, this pin could easily leave someone with just a 2-3 card hand.

this sort of came about because of a game i played this weekend. i went for a golden deck against a very low level player and they went for a possession engine. they didn't realize that trashing the province gave me points, but what i didn't realize was that them trashing my province interrupted my golden deck by preventing me from hitting $8 to buy another province.

so while a real life application of this is going to be even more rare than the kc/goons/masq pin, the general concept of drawing before possession returns trashed cards could still have tactical effects on the occasional game.

So, Golden Deck would have put you at Bishop-Gold-Silver-Silver-Province, right?  If they possess you and trash your Province, you end up with just Bishop-Gold-Silver-Silver in hand on the next turn, with that Province in the discard.  The easy fix here is to Bishop a Silver and buy a Gold.  Any time you start with your Province in the discard, you can just Bishop and buy back treasure.  It's a slight hiccup, but not huge.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 12:56:35 pm »

So, Golden Deck would have put you at Bishop-Gold-Silver-Silver-Province, right?  If they possess you and trash your Province, you end up with just Bishop-Gold-Silver-Silver in hand on the next turn, with that Province in the discard.  The easy fix here is to Bishop a Silver and buy a Gold.  Any time you start with your Province in the discard, you can just Bishop and buy back treasure.  It's a slight hiccup, but not huge.

yes and no? the way it happened in that game i played was that i built my deck towards bishop/gold/gold/copper/province. the reasoning for that being that A. though i set it up quite fast i didn't do it via chapel/bishop and so i took what i had and B. this forces my opponent to trash my province if they want to be able to buy one, netting less vp for them.

but as it happens, i do think that it is a significant hiccup. first off, instead of trashing a province every turn i am doing one every two turns. this lengthens the game quite a bit, giving the opponent to catch up via duchies, VP chips, or a megaturn. furthermore, if i buy a gold and they play 2+ possessions i lose the ability to have that same 5 card hand. i am still in decent shape, but i lose that firm control over the end game.  all of which to say, the golden deck is still in decent shape, but it can't quite cruise along as easily as it normally can.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:35 pm »
+1

a few of you are taking this a little too seriously.

You do realize what board this was posted on, right? ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:03:50 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:37 pm »

So is Council Room the best enabler for this?  Because I rarely buy Forge in a Governor game.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 02:50:45 pm »

I would think governor would be easier as it gives you the action (and if you do have a swindler or an ambassador you can still give him the forge).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.