Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Skipping Chapel for Coppersmith  (Read 1595 times)

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
Skipping Chapel for Coppersmith
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:23:52 pm »
+2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/07/game-20130107-160714-cc5460d5.html

Amazing Coppersmith support (Stables, Worker's Village, Margrave, Salvager). I get 7 Provinces by turn 14, despite an atrocious misclick on Turn 5, where I Salvage a Copper instead of a Estate to miss out on a $4 buy. My opponent's Margraves help as much as they hurt, as they allow me to collide Stables with Coppers on the crucial turns 12 and 13.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Skipping Chapel for Coppersmith
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:04:54 pm »

Good stuff, but I think you might have overbuilt a tad.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:40:47 am »

Doesn't "over building" an engine when you are ahead increase your chances of winning? Usually if I'm ahead, I'll try to make my engine bigger, and more reliable. Essentially if I'm ahead in an engine game I green at the same time as my opponent, which is later than I'd green against the same deck I have. With a more powerful engine you can always catch up.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »
+1

My general experience is that an opponent overbuilds his engine and I win the game on piles and like, 2 Estates.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:29:00 pm »

Doesn't "over building" an engine when you are ahead increase your chances of winning? Usually if I'm ahead, I'll try to make my engine bigger, and more reliable. Essentially if I'm ahead in an engine game I green at the same time as my opponent, which is later than I'd green against the same deck I have. With a more powerful engine you can always catch up.
Well, 'over building' is by definition building too much, and if it didn't increase your chance of winning, then it wouldn't be over-building. Of course, this is semantics and in practice, useless. The question simply is whether you overbuilt or not. Well, the main thing is that you have to watch out for three pile endings, but of course, you DO have to balance that against stalling out.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:48:42 pm »

Well, at the time my engine fired, the Stables were out, two Worker's Villages were left, and no other piles were below 6. And while I wasn't keeping exact track, I was pretty sure my opponent didn't have enough buying power to buy 3 Provinces or 6 Coppersmiths, so I felt safe building up on turn 12.

If my opponent had played better, then yeah, I probably would've gone for the green earlier.

---

On another note: Would Chapel into a Coppersmith engine have been better? I wouldn't think so, but I remember that simulation contest where we found out that Chapel into IW/Island/Silk Road was better, so maybe?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:53:53 pm »

Well, at the time my engine fired, the Stables were out, two Worker's Villages were left, and no other piles were below 6. And while I wasn't keeping exact track, I was pretty sure my opponent didn't have enough buying power to buy 3 Provinces or 6 Coppersmiths, so I felt safe building up on turn 12.

If my opponent had played better, then yeah, I probably would've gone for the green earlier.

---

On another note: Would Chapel into a Coppersmith engine have been better? I wouldn't think so, but I remember that simulation contest where we found out that Chapel into IW/Island/Silk Road was better, so maybe?
Your big issue is how many things he can buy - six cards is a lot, but if he can buy out the estates, or the curses at some points, you can be in trouble. Now, he can't do that, so it would appear you are fine, and if it were a bit closer, this would have been the right call. However, you're up by SO much, that while I would probably mostly build on that turn, I would also want to insulate against having a dud hand (certainly possible in your deck) by grabbing some small amount of points.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 03:02:04 pm »

Okay, good point on the overbuilding. I actually just played a game where I had a 3 Stables/3 Conspirator hand at one point and lost narrowly.

I actually remembered it being Gardens, but then I was like "nah, that can't possibly be right" and assumed it was Silk Road.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.